I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Hill-walking after prostectomy

User
Posted 11 Mar 2024 at 20:49

Hi, had a radical prostectomy two months ago, recovering very well, no incontinence, walking a couple of hours on the flat presents no problems, was pretty fit before surgery, went hill- walking every week, would love to get back to it, wondering if it's too soon. The hills are not too steep, the walks are 3-3 hours long. Any advice or shared experiences welcome. Thanks.

User
Posted 11 Mar 2024 at 22:26

Hello mate.

Welcome to the forum.

I'm 67 years old and had a prostatectomy just over a year ago.  Your recovery is amazing. If you feel fit enough to hillwalk, I'd advise you take medical advice first. You don't want to overdo things, which may jeopardise further recovery.

I still feel I've got a mountain to climb. 🙂

Edited by member 11 Mar 2024 at 22:28  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 12 Mar 2024 at 00:23
I would say get back out there and do what you love. The main concern at this point tends to be lifting heavy weights as men who have had LRP are slightly more at risk of a hernia - so perhaps don't take the big rucksack with you or offer to carry anyone when they get tired!
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 12 Mar 2024 at 08:05

Hi JDrac,

Hill walker myself. Do a fair amount of long distances.

All I can say is if you feel you are ready then go for it. My wife had concerns about my first long hike but if your body says your ok then just do it. Perhaps pick a route you know with maybe an option of making it shorter. I did neither of those on my first venture and it was a mistake. I was pretty tired at the end.

Jim

User
Posted 12 Mar 2024 at 08:21

Like you I enjoy hill walking but not too extreme like striding edge for instance.m. I had my op Easter 23 and gently increased my steps on the flat so that by august I could do 30,000. My first hill was at the end of august when I went up Moel Fameau in north wales if you know it. I made it but it was a struggle when previously it was easy. Since then I’ve been on several walking week holidays and am basically back to where I was up to 4/5 hour walks but mostly 3/4 hours albeit avoiding mountains for now. Take it easy be patient enjoy and remember everyone is different