I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Worcestershire PC Survivorship Programme

User
Posted 19 Mar 2024 at 22:00

The above programme is jointly run by Worcestershire Acute NHS Trust and Macmillan. Apart from the fact I hate the name I was wondering if anyone else in the area is involved in it? It aims to help men live as normally as possible.

it has three main areas: 1) Identifying and meeting your needs. The CNS will contact people and complete a full assessment into practical, emotional, communication and physical needs.  2) PSA monitoring, bloods will be taken at your GP surgery with results from the team within 48 hours.  3) An annual conference for members with healthcare professionals to discuss managing side effects, new developments, support.

I ask because although I requested a full assessment I’ve never had one. My PSA is checked regularly. Until this week I didn’t know anything about an annual conference and I’ve not been invited to one! Does anyone have a different experience? Am I missing something?

Rob

User
Posted 20 Mar 2024 at 20:10

This program has never been mentioned to me Rob. I would be interested to know more. Chris

User
Posted 21 Mar 2024 at 06:10

It was offered to me last year when I was four years post-op. The only aspect of it that has ever been offered, and indeed ever mentioned, was the local PSA testing. I have my bloods taken at the GP practice and two days later I phone the survivor programme for the results, and so far they have had those results on time. I was therefore discharged from the hospital and I have no need to see the consultant. If at any time my PSA goes up I will be referred back to the consultant.

I found out the extra bits when I googled the programme out of interest! I just assumed it was a way of freeing up the consultant’s time.

Rob

User
Posted 21 Mar 2024 at 09:28

WInteresting. Maybe it is triggered  at four years. I am just rwo years post op and still seeing the consultant on six monthly telephone appointments. It would be good to get an invite to the conferences though.

User
Posted 21 Mar 2024 at 18:57

I think you’ll find you will be offered it in a couple of years. As for the conference, me too!

Rob

User
Posted 21 Mar 2024 at 20:05

Well that is really interesting. I live just outside Pershore in a village called Besford. I had an RP in 2020 when we lived in Fernhill Heath and moved away the next year. ( Big mistake) . Moved back to where we are now in 2021 and have had a bad experience with Gps who I think have neglected me. I would be very interested in this programme as I certainly had no knowledge of it. If you can give more details I would be  very appreciative.

Thanks for highlighting this.

Martin

User
Posted 21 Mar 2024 at 22:45

Here is the link

https://www.worcsacute.nhs.uk/prostate-cancer-surviorship-initiative/#

I was offered it by my consultant. I said yes mainly because it meant I didn’t have to go to the hospital for my results. To be fair it also freed up time for the consultant. And to repeat, I have never been offered an assessment and I’ve never heard about any conferences.

Rob