I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Pelvic Floor Exercises - effectiveness

User
Posted 23 Mar 2024 at 10:35

I've had a prostatectomy, followed by salvage radiotherapy. The latter has significantly increased my incontinence when before it became minimal. I have had physiotherapy advice which is to do more intensive pelvic floor exercises (and I know that I do them correctly).

Has anybody found that these exercises make the incontinence worse? That's what I feel. If after 8 weeks more of this physio, there is no improvement, I will be referred back to the urologist to consider alternative options for treatment. I think it's going to go that way!

Please share, if you have had a similar experience.

User
Posted 23 Mar 2024 at 16:14

I have found overdoing pelvic floor exercises resulted in more leakage, tiring out the muscles.

What was suggested as "more intensive" exercises? Squeezing harder?, how many sets of exercises per day? Mote than the recommended 3 sets per day?

P.

Edited by member 23 Mar 2024 at 16:15  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 23 Mar 2024 at 17:55

Hi bernster,

I had a prostatectomy about 21 months ago.  I was very incontinent for the first 6 months.  I had been doing my Kegel (lower pelvic floor) exercises consistently throughout that period.  I then added in Pilates and Yoga exercises and this seemed to help a lot.  I'm still not fully dry ( I use about 2 pads per day) but compared to the 7-8 pads I was using initially, it's a big improvement.

Best wishes,

JedSee.

User
Posted 23 Mar 2024 at 21:56

It might be worth having a read of this which really helped me and might be available in the UK

Perineal-Physiotherapy-for-incontinence

User
Posted 24 Mar 2024 at 15:09
Overdoing the PFEs causes tiredness which leads to increased leakage. Try cutting back on the exercises.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 24 Mar 2024 at 19:25
Following on from LynEyre's comment, I would consider thinking about the times of day you do your exercises.

My experience is that my pelvic floor muscles get tired during the day. Activities which cause minimal leakage in the morning are much more problematic in the afternoon. As a result I don't do the exercises until after I have finished any activities likely to be problematic.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 23 Mar 2024 at 16:14

I have found overdoing pelvic floor exercises resulted in more leakage, tiring out the muscles.

What was suggested as "more intensive" exercises? Squeezing harder?, how many sets of exercises per day? Mote than the recommended 3 sets per day?

P.

Edited by member 23 Mar 2024 at 16:15  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 23 Mar 2024 at 17:55

Hi bernster,

I had a prostatectomy about 21 months ago.  I was very incontinent for the first 6 months.  I had been doing my Kegel (lower pelvic floor) exercises consistently throughout that period.  I then added in Pilates and Yoga exercises and this seemed to help a lot.  I'm still not fully dry ( I use about 2 pads per day) but compared to the 7-8 pads I was using initially, it's a big improvement.

Best wishes,

JedSee.

User
Posted 23 Mar 2024 at 21:56

It might be worth having a read of this which really helped me and might be available in the UK

Perineal-Physiotherapy-for-incontinence

User
Posted 24 Mar 2024 at 07:59

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

P.

Longer exercises, with greater squeezing; plus long 'half-holds' where the muscles are tightened only slightly or with a third of the effort and trying to hold for longer than the slow exercises, rest for 10 seconds.

All to little effect, it seems.

User
Posted 24 Mar 2024 at 08:49

Are you using the correct muscles? Stand at the loo and pee - half way through try and stop the flow. That will help identify which muscles you should be exercising.

It is often described as trying to shorten your penis if that makes any sense

Edited by member 24 Mar 2024 at 08:50  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 24 Mar 2024 at 15:09
Overdoing the PFEs causes tiredness which leads to increased leakage. Try cutting back on the exercises.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 24 Mar 2024 at 19:25
Following on from LynEyre's comment, I would consider thinking about the times of day you do your exercises.

My experience is that my pelvic floor muscles get tired during the day. Activities which cause minimal leakage in the morning are much more problematic in the afternoon. As a result I don't do the exercises until after I have finished any activities likely to be problematic.