Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Metastatic Prostate Cancer Age 54

User
Posted 23 Mar 2024 at 21:04

Hello All

I have been meaning to do this for quite some time as I would like to share my story of my diagnosis and treatment since that time. I really want to offer some sense of hope to those who may have just had a terminal diagnosis.

I have also put this message on the Macmillan community forum.

Briefly, I was diagnosed at the age of 54 in 2016. That's nearly seven and a half years ago. At the time I was told that I had between 4 and 5 years to live.

I started out on hormone implants and 5 months of chemotherapy and was also given Metformin as a trial drug. Part of the STAMPEDE trials. Since that time, after recovering from the effects of chemo I have lived a very full and satisfying life. I have now also been taking Enzalutamide for the last year and just had a TURP operation to help relieve my urinary symptoms.

A very short list of the things my wife and I have done since my diagnosis follows.

We have had a number of memorable holidays including several trips to the Maldives, 1 trip to Hawaii,1 to Dubai, 3 to Madeira, 2 to France and 1 to Iceland. We are due to head off to the Maldives again in a few weeks time.

I learned to scuba dive, passing my PADI open water certificate.

I have started a new career in an IT role.

And countless other memorable experiences, including attending a Royal Garden Party. My point for listing all these is that life doesn't end at the point you receive your diagnosis. I don't know how much longer I have, but I'm going to make the most of every last minute.

When I was diagnosed, I started writing a blog for family and friends. I would love more people to read it, to offer hope to others who are going through the same diagnosis as me. Please have a look if you have some spare time. The address is https://johnandbim.thebethams.com I have published my PSA chart over the years which my consultant says quite a few men keep a spreadsheet with all the figures on. Also a lot of photos - mainly of our holiday expeditions.

If you are struggling to find travel insurance to cover your condition I have found that World First has been one of the only companies that fully understands the diagnosis and offers much more reasonable prices than other online insurance companies.

User
Posted 23 Mar 2024 at 21:04

Hello All

I have been meaning to do this for quite some time as I would like to share my story of my diagnosis and treatment since that time. I really want to offer some sense of hope to those who may have just had a terminal diagnosis.

I have also put this message on the Macmillan community forum.

Briefly, I was diagnosed at the age of 54 in 2016. That's nearly seven and a half years ago. At the time I was told that I had between 4 and 5 years to live.

I started out on hormone implants and 5 months of chemotherapy and was also given Metformin as a trial drug. Part of the STAMPEDE trials. Since that time, after recovering from the effects of chemo I have lived a very full and satisfying life. I have now also been taking Enzalutamide for the last year and just had a TURP operation to help relieve my urinary symptoms.

A very short list of the things my wife and I have done since my diagnosis follows.

We have had a number of memorable holidays including several trips to the Maldives, 1 trip to Hawaii,1 to Dubai, 3 to Madeira, 2 to France and 1 to Iceland. We are due to head off to the Maldives again in a few weeks time.

I learned to scuba dive, passing my PADI open water certificate.

I have started a new career in an IT role.

And countless other memorable experiences, including attending a Royal Garden Party. My point for listing all these is that life doesn't end at the point you receive your diagnosis. I don't know how much longer I have, but I'm going to make the most of every last minute.

When I was diagnosed, I started writing a blog for family and friends. I would love more people to read it, to offer hope to others who are going through the same diagnosis as me. Please have a look if you have some spare time. The address is https://johnandbim.thebethams.com I have published my PSA chart over the years which my consultant says quite a few men keep a spreadsheet with all the figures on. Also a lot of photos - mainly of our holiday expeditions.

If you are struggling to find travel insurance to cover your condition I have found that World First has been one of the only companies that fully understands the diagnosis and offers much more reasonable prices than other online insurance companies.

User
Posted 24 Mar 2024 at 12:55
Hi ,very similar stats as my OH , he was 55 at diagnosis xmas 2015 . Gleason 4+5 spread to lymph nodes . He had early chemo then onto stampede trial arm J abi and Enzo combo . We still enjoy great hols and he’s still working building marinas around the country ( not so much physical work now) we had no grandchildren at that time and Gary didn’t think he’d see any , we now have 7 ! Posts like yours and Gary’s hopefully give hope to others starting their journey.

Life has changed but we try and make the best of things .

Best wishes for the future.

Debby

User
Posted 26 Mar 2024 at 09:45

Hi Debby

It sounds like you and Gary have a similar outlook to my wife and I. They were very dark days just after diagnosis, but I do remember at one point, probably about a month after being told, that I could not carry on being miserable about it and we both made a commitment to try and make the most of every situation. It's not always easy, and there are occasions when I might have a 'down' day, but being positive becomes easier the more you practice.

We are still waiting for grandchildren, although I wouldn't be surprised if the first one appears later this year!

All the best to you both.

John

User
Posted 24 Mar 2024 at 12:16

Thanks, a very upbeat blog.

Dave

User
Posted 24 Mar 2024 at 12:29

Hi John,

Wow! That is some blog…I will take my time and read through your journey.

I can only congratulate you on living life to the full and being so positive, you are quite an inspiration!

All the best for the future,

Derek

User
Posted 25 Mar 2024 at 08:44

Hi

Very similar diagnosis here,very higher starting PSA and couple of years younger,but a bit thankyou for posting your story and I will certainly be in touch with your recommended holiday insurance company for a quote 

All the best for the future,Phil 

User
Posted 25 Mar 2024 at 13:31

Indeed. John has obviously coped exceptionally well.  I suppose, no matter what the cancer staging, no matter what the treatment, no matter what the prognosis; it will effect everyone differently. Some will be physically, mentally and even financially better equipped to deal with the disease than others. 

User
Posted 25 Mar 2024 at 16:02

Hi jasper

I used all clear for my insurance last year.

All of Europe and cruising just over a £1000 for the year.

Hope this helps regards Phil 

User
Posted 25 Mar 2024 at 18:04

Love that  photo of afternoon tea at Buckingham Palace clever of you to take a photo it looks scrumptious 

User
Posted 26 Mar 2024 at 09:36

Hi All

Just to give you an idea of the cost of the travel insurance with World First, I think it will be the same through Insurancewith. We have paid a total of £468.08 for an annual policy for worldwide (excluding Carribean, USA, Canada & Mexico). That is for my wife and I. They ask a very detailed set of questions about your cancer diagnosis and treatment, but it does mean that they understand the risk better than most insurance companies and it seems that they offer a better price. 

It is quite a surprise to see the range of prices on offer from other companies.

I hope you manage a relaxing holiday and make some wonderful memories. 

User
Posted 02 Apr 2024 at 22:03

Glad you're doing well John

Nice to see others living life not defined by this bloody disease. 

Like you, I have been very fortunate that i have been  healthy through this journey to live a very active lifestyle.

I was diagnosed around 45 and am heading for 11th anniversary. Definitely not something I expected to see !

Keep up the blog.

Steve

Keep up the blog.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 24 Mar 2024 at 12:16

Thanks, a very upbeat blog.

Dave

User
Posted 24 Mar 2024 at 12:29

Hi John,

Wow! That is some blog…I will take my time and read through your journey.

I can only congratulate you on living life to the full and being so positive, you are quite an inspiration!

All the best for the future,

Derek

User
Posted 24 Mar 2024 at 12:36

Thanks Dave

All the best.

John

User
Posted 24 Mar 2024 at 12:55
Hi ,very similar stats as my OH , he was 55 at diagnosis xmas 2015 . Gleason 4+5 spread to lymph nodes . He had early chemo then onto stampede trial arm J abi and Enzo combo . We still enjoy great hols and he’s still working building marinas around the country ( not so much physical work now) we had no grandchildren at that time and Gary didn’t think he’d see any , we now have 7 ! Posts like yours and Gary’s hopefully give hope to others starting their journey.

Life has changed but we try and make the best of things .

Best wishes for the future.

Debby

User
Posted 25 Mar 2024 at 08:44

Hi

Very similar diagnosis here,very higher starting PSA and couple of years younger,but a bit thankyou for posting your story and I will certainly be in touch with your recommended holiday insurance company for a quote 

All the best for the future,Phil 

User
Posted 25 Mar 2024 at 10:33
Hi JohnB, I've had a look at the World First portal and it looks identical to Insure with. Is it the same company?

I'm trying to get some reasonably priced insurance for our next trip to Spain in May and two European cruises later on, just dropped them an email to see how the land lies.

Thanks for sharing your blog, I'll have a read later.

User
Posted 25 Mar 2024 at 12:50

Hi Jasper

Insure with and world first are basically the same. I have used both, they are the only two that I found that give reasonable words.

Good luck and enjoy your travels.

John.

User
Posted 25 Mar 2024 at 13:31

Indeed. John has obviously coped exceptionally well.  I suppose, no matter what the cancer staging, no matter what the treatment, no matter what the prognosis; it will effect everyone differently. Some will be physically, mentally and even financially better equipped to deal with the disease than others. 

User
Posted 25 Mar 2024 at 16:02

Hi jasper

I used all clear for my insurance last year.

All of Europe and cruising just over a £1000 for the year.

Hope this helps regards Phil 

User
Posted 25 Mar 2024 at 18:04

Love that  photo of afternoon tea at Buckingham Palace clever of you to take a photo it looks scrumptious 

User
Posted 25 Mar 2024 at 18:16

Thank you for reading the blog. That was a very special day.

User
Posted 26 Mar 2024 at 09:36

Hi All

Just to give you an idea of the cost of the travel insurance with World First, I think it will be the same through Insurancewith. We have paid a total of £468.08 for an annual policy for worldwide (excluding Carribean, USA, Canada & Mexico). That is for my wife and I. They ask a very detailed set of questions about your cancer diagnosis and treatment, but it does mean that they understand the risk better than most insurance companies and it seems that they offer a better price. 

It is quite a surprise to see the range of prices on offer from other companies.

I hope you manage a relaxing holiday and make some wonderful memories. 

User
Posted 26 Mar 2024 at 09:45

Hi Debby

It sounds like you and Gary have a similar outlook to my wife and I. They were very dark days just after diagnosis, but I do remember at one point, probably about a month after being told, that I could not carry on being miserable about it and we both made a commitment to try and make the most of every situation. It's not always easy, and there are occasions when I might have a 'down' day, but being positive becomes easier the more you practice.

We are still waiting for grandchildren, although I wouldn't be surprised if the first one appears later this year!

All the best to you both.

John

User
Posted 02 Apr 2024 at 22:03

Glad you're doing well John

Nice to see others living life not defined by this bloody disease. 

Like you, I have been very fortunate that i have been  healthy through this journey to live a very active lifestyle.

I was diagnosed around 45 and am heading for 11th anniversary. Definitely not something I expected to see !

Keep up the blog.

Steve

Keep up the blog.