I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Penal leakage with catheter

User
Posted 26 Mar 2024 at 09:42

Hi, my husband had his robotic prostatectomy last Friday and we were home Saturday afternoon.  Initially he had no issues with the catheter but by Sunday he noticed a slight damp patch on his briefs.  The bi-passing has gradually got worse and he now needs to wear a pad which also show signs of weak blood staining.  I rang the hospital who said it's not a problem as long as there is no blood or clots in his urine bag (which there isn't) and that maybe the leg movement as he is slowly walking is irritating the tip of his penis.  He said that although not painful it is starting to become more uncomfortable but I can tell this is really worrying him.   Has anyone else experienced this kind of bi-passing leakage as such?

User
Posted 26 Mar 2024 at 11:59

This is common.Bypass leakage. I had it as well and the same concerns. As long as most of it is going down the tube then all good. I found the catheter the worst week of the whole process. Thankfully it usually gets removed after a week. The irritation at the tip of the Penis is  awful. You just have to live with it and be so careful when you move around but of course you need to move around and not stay still to build fitness. Keep up the fluids and grin  and bear it! All the best.

User
Posted 26 Mar 2024 at 13:11

TRF, by passing a small amount of urine and or blood is frequently mentioned. I have had a catheter on numerous occasions. Go to a pharmacy and get some instilagel or hydrocaine or optilube. It costs about £2 or £3 pounds for a tube. It comes as a syringe ,the nurses in hospital squirt a small amount (not the whole tube)  into the eye of the penis at the side of the catheter. You can pull the penis towards the body and apply some gel to the catheter, don't pull on the catheter. Keep everything clean and the soreness should go.

Boots usually want a prescription but smaller pharmacies don't usually need one. The three gels are designed for catheter insertion and maintenance,why would you use anything else. The gels contain anesthetic and lubricant and antiseptic.

Thanks Chris 

Edited by member 26 Mar 2024 at 13:20  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 26 Mar 2024 at 14:16
The one thing I would add is that the tip of the penis and the catheter tube up to and including the connector MUST remain sterile. Never touch it with fingers, always use a sterile dressing and wipe down with antiseptic. This was drilled into me multiple times by the nurses.

User
Posted 26 Mar 2024 at 14:19

Hi, I also experienced this and it worried me as well. I had a little leakage every day throughought the period when I wore the catheter and it quite often made the tip of my penis stick to my briefs. It's not pleasant and it is worrying but I've now had the catheter out without any problems, so it didn't cause any serious issues. 

I also found out that sitting for any length of time became really unfomfortable from about the 7th day onwards. It felt like someone was tugging on the catheter. All in all I didn't like the catheter experience at all and I'm very glad it's out.

Edited by member 26 Mar 2024 at 14:27  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 26 Mar 2024 at 14:25
Thanks everyone, that is good to hear and will put hubby's mind at rest.
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 26 Mar 2024 at 11:59

This is common.Bypass leakage. I had it as well and the same concerns. As long as most of it is going down the tube then all good. I found the catheter the worst week of the whole process. Thankfully it usually gets removed after a week. The irritation at the tip of the Penis is  awful. You just have to live with it and be so careful when you move around but of course you need to move around and not stay still to build fitness. Keep up the fluids and grin  and bear it! All the best.

User
Posted 26 Mar 2024 at 13:11

TRF, by passing a small amount of urine and or blood is frequently mentioned. I have had a catheter on numerous occasions. Go to a pharmacy and get some instilagel or hydrocaine or optilube. It costs about £2 or £3 pounds for a tube. It comes as a syringe ,the nurses in hospital squirt a small amount (not the whole tube)  into the eye of the penis at the side of the catheter. You can pull the penis towards the body and apply some gel to the catheter, don't pull on the catheter. Keep everything clean and the soreness should go.

Boots usually want a prescription but smaller pharmacies don't usually need one. The three gels are designed for catheter insertion and maintenance,why would you use anything else. The gels contain anesthetic and lubricant and antiseptic.

Thanks Chris 

Edited by member 26 Mar 2024 at 13:20  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 26 Mar 2024 at 14:16
The one thing I would add is that the tip of the penis and the catheter tube up to and including the connector MUST remain sterile. Never touch it with fingers, always use a sterile dressing and wipe down with antiseptic. This was drilled into me multiple times by the nurses.

User
Posted 26 Mar 2024 at 14:19

Hi, I also experienced this and it worried me as well. I had a little leakage every day throughought the period when I wore the catheter and it quite often made the tip of my penis stick to my briefs. It's not pleasant and it is worrying but I've now had the catheter out without any problems, so it didn't cause any serious issues. 

I also found out that sitting for any length of time became really unfomfortable from about the 7th day onwards. It felt like someone was tugging on the catheter. All in all I didn't like the catheter experience at all and I'm very glad it's out.

Edited by member 26 Mar 2024 at 14:27  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 26 Mar 2024 at 14:25
Thanks everyone, that is good to hear and will put hubby's mind at rest.