I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Loose bowel movement

User
Posted 27 Mar 2024 at 16:47

Finished RT last February so 13 months ago and since last July been struggling with bouts of diarrhoea and loose bowel movement. I have IBS also. I had the full CT scan in Oct 2022 alongside a bone scan and both were clear. I sailed through RT with no loose bowels etc and went to the GP in July last year 2023 and had a bowel screening and 2 extra bowel screens. All these came back clear and normal. I saw my oncologist in August 2023 and she indicated this was radiation proctitis as a result from RT and said it should settle down. I seem to be having more bouts of this and worried it’s something else or is there anything to help bung me up I could use. I don’t have sickness, or don’t feel unwell it’s just the loose stools. Other times my stools are normal and firm. My stools are normal colour. Any advise or anyone had similar after RT? Thanks. 

Andy

User
Posted 27 Mar 2024 at 19:23

Hi Andy. I finished SRT 15 months ago and like you, I still have loose stools on and off, and ocaisionally follow-through farts. I mentioned it to my Onco and he said it is most likely as a result of scar tissue in the rectum from radiation damage. He went on to say that I am now going to be stuck with it which is not the news I wanted to hear. He told me to take Loperamide Hydrochloride (Imodium) when it becomes a problem. I've been using it now for about two months and it has certainly helped.

User
Posted 27 Mar 2024 at 20:16
Gaffer, one of the guys I met while having RT has recently been suffering from radiation proctitis about 16 months after finishing the RT. It seems to be a hazard, and not fun. I have a few bottom issues, but fortunately they are mostly first thing in the morning (seemingly triggered by going from horizontal to vertical and moving around) which is a time when I am reliably in near proximity to a toilet.

Imodium is a brand name for the drug loperamide, which is widely available over the counter as an anti-diarrhoeal medication.

User
Posted 28 Mar 2024 at 09:27

You should ask your clinical team for a referral to colorectal to investigate. They are the experts in dealing with bowel issues resulting from radiotherapy.

You could also contact the Pelvic Radiation Disease Association, who should be able to give you appropriate expert advice, and possibly a local consultant particularly familiar with this problem. The PRDA holds a public conference each year which can be interesting. I notice the 2022 one at least is available online.

Edited by member 28 Mar 2024 at 09:29  | Reason: Not specified

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 27 Mar 2024 at 19:23

Hi Andy. I finished SRT 15 months ago and like you, I still have loose stools on and off, and ocaisionally follow-through farts. I mentioned it to my Onco and he said it is most likely as a result of scar tissue in the rectum from radiation damage. He went on to say that I am now going to be stuck with it which is not the news I wanted to hear. He told me to take Loperamide Hydrochloride (Imodium) when it becomes a problem. I've been using it now for about two months and it has certainly helped.

User
Posted 27 Mar 2024 at 19:39

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Cheers Chris. Can Imodium be bought over the counter? 

User
Posted 27 Mar 2024 at 20:14

Yes, I get mine over the counter

User
Posted 27 Mar 2024 at 20:16
Gaffer, one of the guys I met while having RT has recently been suffering from radiation proctitis about 16 months after finishing the RT. It seems to be a hazard, and not fun. I have a few bottom issues, but fortunately they are mostly first thing in the morning (seemingly triggered by going from horizontal to vertical and moving around) which is a time when I am reliably in near proximity to a toilet.

Imodium is a brand name for the drug loperamide, which is widely available over the counter as an anti-diarrhoeal medication.

User
Posted 27 Mar 2024 at 20:20

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Yes, I get mine over the counter

Cheers Chris. I will get some tomorrow. 

User
Posted 28 Mar 2024 at 09:27

You should ask your clinical team for a referral to colorectal to investigate. They are the experts in dealing with bowel issues resulting from radiotherapy.

You could also contact the Pelvic Radiation Disease Association, who should be able to give you appropriate expert advice, and possibly a local consultant particularly familiar with this problem. The PRDA holds a public conference each year which can be interesting. I notice the 2022 one at least is available online.

Edited by member 28 Mar 2024 at 09:29  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 28 Mar 2024 at 13:01

Thanks for the info Andy. I'll read up on PRDA