I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Radiotherapy Failure?

User
Posted 02 Apr 2024 at 20:30

OK we all hope and pray that the treatment is successful but what if it hasn't worked?

Do we know what happens next?

Any insights?

User
Posted 02 Apr 2024 at 22:57
Hi AltasAI, I see from your other post you are halfway through your radiotherapy - bravo! You are getting there.

I'm waiting to start my radiotherapy in the next few weeks. I know it's difficult not to consider 'what if', however the medical staff will be giving you the most appropriate treatment given your diagnosis. You might consider putting that in your profile if you feel comfortable doing so.

What's next is completing your treatment, then over the following weeks recovering from the side affects. You will be asked to carry out a regular PSA test which will be used to track how things are going. I would just focus on what is happening now and the immediate future.

There are other treatments available and are continuing to be developed if needed in the future, but for now my friend I would concentrate on completing your treatment and feeling good again.

Good Luck

Mike

User
Posted 03 Apr 2024 at 08:16

Hi Alan,

I would listen to Mikes wise words, focus on the here and now and enjoy every day as best you can. Be kind to yourself, give yourself treats and keep active and fit…I believe that is essential in getting through this. You’re probably going to be on HT for a while after your RT finishes, so use that period to focus on your health and fitness. I finished my RT almost a year ago and get my last HT jab on Thursday…Onco is happy for me to stop HT after 2 years as it’s having a serious effect on my leg joints and my PSA is low at 0.1. It’s when the last HT wears off and you hopefully start to get your Testosterone back that you will really know whether they got it all. PSA anxiety is a real thing and I’m already feeling this at the back of my mind.

Ive been told that if the RT hasn’t fully worked, I will be on HT for life, possibly intermittently for respite, but I will deal with that when and if it happens.

So….Live for today and good luck with the rest of your treatment.

Derek

Edited by member 03 Apr 2024 at 08:18  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 03 Apr 2024 at 09:33

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Thanks Mike that was extremely thoughtful of you. I am one of life's pessimists I'm afraid but of course you are correct .. I should keep positive.

Your comment about my profile is noted.. I'll update it 

Cheers

Alan

Just to give you encouragement - I was where you are at the end of 2019 (shortly before all the lockdowns) - Yes it's not pleasent - but I'm still here now, at 75 not feeling too bad - last PSA was 0.4 which Onco is happy with.
Yes, drinking a load - holding it, is not nice, number twos, were not nice, either - but both will improve.
This to all in the same situation, as yourself.
Bob

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 02 Apr 2024 at 22:49

Radiotherapy doesn't normally fail but hormone therapy would probably be the next step 

User
Posted 02 Apr 2024 at 22:57
Hi AltasAI, I see from your other post you are halfway through your radiotherapy - bravo! You are getting there.

I'm waiting to start my radiotherapy in the next few weeks. I know it's difficult not to consider 'what if', however the medical staff will be giving you the most appropriate treatment given your diagnosis. You might consider putting that in your profile if you feel comfortable doing so.

What's next is completing your treatment, then over the following weeks recovering from the side affects. You will be asked to carry out a regular PSA test which will be used to track how things are going. I would just focus on what is happening now and the immediate future.

There are other treatments available and are continuing to be developed if needed in the future, but for now my friend I would concentrate on completing your treatment and feeling good again.

Good Luck

Mike

User
Posted 02 Apr 2024 at 23:15

Thanks Mike that was extremely thoughtful of you. I am one of life's pessimists I'm afraid but of course you are correct .. I should keep positive.

Cheers

Alan

User
Posted 03 Apr 2024 at 08:16

Hi Alan,

I would listen to Mikes wise words, focus on the here and now and enjoy every day as best you can. Be kind to yourself, give yourself treats and keep active and fit…I believe that is essential in getting through this. You’re probably going to be on HT for a while after your RT finishes, so use that period to focus on your health and fitness. I finished my RT almost a year ago and get my last HT jab on Thursday…Onco is happy for me to stop HT after 2 years as it’s having a serious effect on my leg joints and my PSA is low at 0.1. It’s when the last HT wears off and you hopefully start to get your Testosterone back that you will really know whether they got it all. PSA anxiety is a real thing and I’m already feeling this at the back of my mind.

Ive been told that if the RT hasn’t fully worked, I will be on HT for life, possibly intermittently for respite, but I will deal with that when and if it happens.

So….Live for today and good luck with the rest of your treatment.

Derek

Edited by member 03 Apr 2024 at 08:18  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 03 Apr 2024 at 09:33

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Cheers

Alan

Just to give you encouragement - I was where you are at the end of 2019 (shortly before all the lockdowns) - Yes it's not pleasent - but I'm still here now, at 75 not feeling too bad - last PSA was 0.4 which Onco is happy with.
Yes, drinking a load - holding it, is not nice, number twos, were not nice, either - but both will improve.
This to all in the same situation, as yourself.
Bob