Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Support welcome

User
Posted 02 Apr 2024 at 23:48

Hi there

my husband has incurable prostate cancer and is having chemotherapy. I am just finding that family and friends including our daughters are not very helpful or comforting. People say let us know if we can help but seem really put out if we ask. Others say look after yourself but if I don’t seem myself they get confused and don’t respond.

finding this hard

User
Posted 03 Apr 2024 at 08:25

Hi,

There have been a lot of AI bots on this forum recently which is maybe why nobody has replied to your post. if you create a profile I think you are more likely to get a response, so I’m bumping you up with this response.

Try and find a local support group such as Maggies and BOTH of you go along and have a chat with them.

Derek

User
Posted 06 Apr 2024 at 23:26
Well

I have done that and am not a bot! Being accused of that makes me feel worse

User
Posted 07 Apr 2024 at 00:06
Anastasia, there is a wives' group on facebook - I don't know how to find it but someone else will hopefully come along and give you the details.

I think there are two issues: 1. people don't know what to say or do when someone has incurable cancer, for fear of saying / doing the wrong thing, and b) the general view of prostate cancer is that it is common and no big deal so they don't realise that you may need help.

Do you have a Macmillan nurse? Is your husband under the care of the local hospice? Either should have social workers or support workers that you can talk to.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 19 Apr 2024 at 23:12

Hi.

My name here is Hamish McDougal. I am sorry to hear about your husband's incurrable cancer. I have prostate cancer that has returned. It seems to be slow growing. I have been waiting for a couple of months to hear what treatment I'm to have. I am joining a Prostate Cancer Coffee Morning next month. Is there such a thing near you that you and your husband could go to? It might be worth googling prostate cancer support groups to find out.

All the very best,

Hamish