Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Advice needed - Telling the Children

User
Posted 03 Apr 2024 at 10:31

Hi all 

I have just started this journey, (8th Feb PSA and a DRE - PSA 8.68 then 4 weeks later 8.36, DRE firmness one side and some nodules). MRI last week (Thursday) and a phone call requesting a biopsy appt 15 April.

Fairly obvious conclusion - My question is, how in gods name do you tell your kids ? I have three sons and three daughters, all living in the north (we are in Cornwall). My wife was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007 and when we told the children it was a bit of a nightmare, as you can imagine emotions were off the chart and it affected their school life. Moving on a few years, mum is 17 years down the line and they are 17 years older (ages range between 27 and 35). The boys I am not to worried about but the girls are very close to us both and one in particular can be very emotional, (she cried when Nelson Mandela died !)

Needless to say, whilst we need to tell them I don't want it to affect their own lives or their work lives. How do you make light of a cancer diagnosis ??. 

Edited by member 03 Apr 2024 at 10:39  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 03 Apr 2024 at 12:02

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

I am struggling with adding to it for them. I agree I will hold off telling them until I have a fuller diagnosis and hopefully it will be an early stage, but telling them most men die with cancer rather than from it is going to be little comfort to them. They will all react to it in different ways because of the wife's diagnosis, they saw what she went through and are likely going to expect a repeat of that time. 

My dad died of prostate cancer and my younger brother was diagnosed earlier than me. I have sons and felt duty bound to warn them just in case it increased their risk. It's obviously more difficult in your case with your wife being diagnosed with cancer as well. I wish you well mate. Please keep us updated.

User
Posted 03 Apr 2024 at 15:15
Good luck Mary to you both for tomorrow. I know it's scary but it really is straightforward and far less dramatic then I know you are both anticipating.

Just remind him, when they offer him paracetamol then take it - the shoulder pain can be quite uncomfortable for a day or so and it's best to start on them before it starts.

I was number 1 on the day from a group of 5 - and they do this at least 3 times a week so it's something they have lots of experience and practice in :)

User
Posted 03 Apr 2024 at 15:46

Good luck tomorrow Mary, everything crossed for you !

User
Posted 03 Apr 2024 at 20:58

Although I’m a bit scared and so is he (surgery is tomorrow)!

I'll be thinking of you. Best of luck.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 03 Apr 2024 at 11:23

Hi Paul,

Sorry that you've had to join the club, but welcome anyway.

Obviously wait for your results. Have I read your PSA results correctly, has it decreased slightly? Your bio states the MRI was PIRADS 3 which means its inconclusive. Does it indicate if you've got an enlarged prostate. It might be that you have other prostate issues that have caused an elevated PSA.

I'd definitely wait until you've had your biopsy results, before mentioning it to the kids.

Mine were all in their 30's or 40's, I just told them I had the disease, but that, one in eight elderly men do. As things progressed I kept them updated accordingly.  I have two young grandkids 6 and 10. We've all avoided telling them. About a month after the prostatectomy, I was swimming with Oliver, who was then 9. He saw the key hole scars and asked about them. It told him they were where I'd been shot in the Army. No wonder I'm his hero. He'd never believe I was invincible. 

When first diagnosed, I told my daughter and we had a hug and a bit of a cry. Surprisingly, she waited a fortnight before asking if I've left her anything in the will. 😄

Edited by member 03 Apr 2024 at 11:54  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 03 Apr 2024 at 11:41

Hi Adrian

Thanks for your response, Indications are enlarged prostate (slightly) hard on one side with suspicious nodules. I had a brief conversation with the nurse when she rang to make the biopsy appt, and while she was non comital there was realistic chance of cancer or as she put it an area of concern. I am having a problem getting my head around telling them. With the wife being diagnosed it puts the girls in the high risk group now with this it puts the boys in the higher risk group as well. I don't have any grandkids to worry about but it all adds to the anxiety of life for them.  I am struggling with adding to it for them. I agree I will hold off telling them until I have a fuller diagnosis and hopefully it will be an early stage, but telling them most men die with cancer rather than from it is going to be little comfort to them. They will all react to it in different ways because of the wife's diagnosis, they saw what she went through and are likely going to expect a repeat of that time. 

User
Posted 03 Apr 2024 at 12:02

I am struggling with adding to it for them. I agree I will hold off telling them until I have a fuller diagnosis and hopefully it will be an early stage, but telling them most men die with cancer rather than from it is going to be little comfort to them. They will all react to it in different ways because of the wife's diagnosis, they saw what she went through and are likely going to expect a repeat of that time. 

My dad died of prostate cancer and my younger brother was diagnosed earlier than me. I have sons and felt duty bound to warn them just in case it increased their risk. It's obviously more difficult in your case with your wife being diagnosed with cancer as well. I wish you well mate. Please keep us updated.

User
Posted 03 Apr 2024 at 14:08

We dreaded telling our children about my husband’s diagnosis - they are mid to late teens - and decided to wait until he had a treatment plan which took five months so the wait was painful. As it turned out they all took it well so we probably should have told them sooner. We opted to take a positive approach and say that he has cancer but it’s resolvable with surgery - all true for the time being. More recently we have mentioned that he might need salvage radiotherapy but we will cross that bridge when we get there. I don’t see any point in being too pessimistic or scaring them. Although I’m a bit scared and so is he (surgery is tomorrow)! Good luck 🤞 

User
Posted 03 Apr 2024 at 15:01

Thanks Mary and good luck with the surgery. I am fairly pragmatic about it all myself, but I don't like the idea of giving the boys this type of news as it creates a history in the family and increase the risk of them also getting it. I know it is one of those things but how do you say " hi guys I know life is good at the moment but you are at a 50% higher risk of getting cancer" My eldest son is in his mid 30's so needs to start getting checked in a few years if all the information is correct. Not a conversation I am looking forward to having. 

User
Posted 03 Apr 2024 at 15:15
Good luck Mary to you both for tomorrow. I know it's scary but it really is straightforward and far less dramatic then I know you are both anticipating.

Just remind him, when they offer him paracetamol then take it - the shoulder pain can be quite uncomfortable for a day or so and it's best to start on them before it starts.

I was number 1 on the day from a group of 5 - and they do this at least 3 times a week so it's something they have lots of experience and practice in :)

User
Posted 03 Apr 2024 at 15:45

Fairly obvious conclusion - My question is, how in gods name do you tell your kids ?

The boys I am not to worried about but the girls are very close to us both and one in particular can be very emotional, (she cried when Nelson Mandela died !)

Needless to say, whilst we need to tell them I don't want it to affect their own lives or their work lives. How do you make light of a cancer diagnosis ??. 

Hi Paul

I have 3 kids, the youngest (12 year old girl) like yours, can be emotional. She starts secondary school in a few months. I'm sure she would freak out if she knew I had Pca. 

So we didn't tell her. 

Just to make sure she didn't find out, I didn't tell anyone. Only my wife and line manager know. 

This seems to be a different approach from most here. But mine have had a worry free 6 months (including Christmas). When I'm through the other side of this, post EBRT & Brachytherapy, I might tell them. Tell them that I'm cured, and it was never a big deal anyway, and didn't want to worry them.

As Adrian has said, wait for your results and then hopefully you might not have anything to tell them.

Good luck.

User
Posted 03 Apr 2024 at 15:46

Good luck tomorrow Mary, everything crossed for you !

User
Posted 03 Apr 2024 at 16:58

... [Have cancer]...but that, one in eight elderly men do. ...

Not quite correct, one in eight get diagnosed with prostate cancer. The number who have prostate cancer is nearer to 80%, but about 75% of those men have it and it never gives them any trouble, they are never diagnosed with it, and they die of something else unrelated.

Edited by member 03 Apr 2024 at 18:57  | Reason: Not specified

Dave

User
Posted 03 Apr 2024 at 17:56

... [Have cancer]...but that, one in eight elderly men do. ...

Not quite correct, one in eight get diagnosed with prostate cancer. The number who have prostate cancer is nearer to 80%, but about 75% of those men have and it never gives them any trouble, they are never diagnosed with it, and they die of something else unrelated.

I stand corrected Dave. Good point, well made.

It seems weird that almost 8 in 10 of elderly blokes have the disease but relatively few are aware of it. This is why I often wonder if youve only got low grade cancer, is it good to be diagnosed when you're elderly?

Edited by member 03 Apr 2024 at 20:52  | Reason: Typo

User
Posted 03 Apr 2024 at 20:04

I know it is one of those things but how do you say " hi guys I know life is good at the moment but you are at a 50% higher risk of getting cancer" My eldest son is in his mid 30's so needs to start getting checked in a few years if all the information is correct. Not a conversation I am looking forward to having.

I think it is sensible to wait until you have all your results - it isn't definite that you have cancer and you may still get the all clear. Once you have a full diagnosis and know how advanced it is, it is easier to think clearly about what to tell the kids and when. 

One important point is that your sons do not have a 50% higher risk because you have been diagnosed. Genetically linked prostate cancer is extremely rare (between 5% - 10% of all prostate cancers) and the biggest risk to your boys is the fact that they are male. If you had been diagnosed in your 30s or 40s, that would increase their risk - or if there is a history of male / female breast cancer / endometrial / uterine cancer among your immediate female relatives. 

I see your wife was still young when she got breast cancer - did she get BRCA testing when she was diagnosed? That would be the most significant risk factor for all your children.  

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 03 Apr 2024 at 20:31

Thanks Mary and good luck with the surgery. I am fairly pragmatic about it all myself, but I don't like the idea of giving the boys this type of news as it creates a history in the family and increase the risk of them also getting it. I know it is one of those things but how do you say " hi guys I know life is good at the moment but you are at a 50% higher risk of getting cancer" My eldest son is in his mid 30's so needs to start getting checked in a few years if all the information is correct. Not a conversation I am looking forward to having. 

Thank you! 

Totally, I have two sons but we are saving that discussion for later as they are still children really. Younger than yours but they will need to be tested from an early age - early detection is the aim though. 

I also think that there are lots of things that can increase one’s cancer risk, and this is one. But I understand the emotional toll of it all. 

Really good luck to you x

User
Posted 03 Apr 2024 at 20:33

Thanks sure it will be ok, just need to get it done. At least it’s progress. The advice about the paracetamol is great, thank you

User
Posted 03 Apr 2024 at 20:58

Although I’m a bit scared and so is he (surgery is tomorrow)!

I'll be thinking of you. Best of luck.

User
Posted 25 Apr 2024 at 19:47

Prostate cancer in its self isn't a killer, it causes deterioration of quality of life. I said to my children "i didn't know this until recently but every man gets prostate cancer, there's 2 types, the type ive got gradually affects things like how i pee, maybe give me back pain can cause erectile dysfunction" 

The doctor recommends I have blah blah blah so that it doesn't cause the above issues

If I don't do anything I won't die or anything it just means me and your mum won't be having fumbling fridays or wakey wakey sunday mornings 

They'll be like dad "way too much information"

You make light of it, they'll make light of it.

When one of them says "dad can we talk about this" I'd say "ye sure we can talk about my erections and getting it on with your mum anytime you want" 

User
Posted 25 Apr 2024 at 22:01

Prostate cancer in its self isn't a killer, it causes deterioration of quality of life.

Death must be the ultimate deterioration of quality life, and it certainly causes that.

Edited by member 25 Apr 2024 at 22:49  | Reason: Typo