I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

It was all going so well....

User
Posted 03 Apr 2024 at 23:42

I can't believe I'm writing this , everything was going really well ,OH had recovered well from surgery ( cancer contained in prostate ,negative margin)and had started back at work . PSA test done 5 weeks after surgery  0.04, retest yesterday and it's rose to 0.1.  looks like more treatment.

User
Posted 03 Apr 2024 at 23:42

I can't believe I'm writing this , everything was going really well ,OH had recovered well from surgery ( cancer contained in prostate ,negative margin)and had started back at work . PSA test done 5 weeks after surgery  0.04, retest yesterday and it's rose to 0.1.  looks like more treatment.

User
Posted 04 Apr 2024 at 07:49

Hi Willow,

I realise this must have come as quite a shock for you both…there seems to be quite a few posts on here ATM where men are requiring SRT. All I can suggest is that you try and console yourselves in that at least you have a Plan B. And if SRT IS required, it’s not bad at all and hopefully your OH will only require a short time on HT and may not even HAVE many side effects.

This is a rollercoaster journey we are all on with so many ups and downs. Trying to stay positive is easier said than done, but I find being good to myself and family, having lots of ‘treats’ and keeping busy and active really helps me.

Good luck to both of you.

Derek

User
Posted 04 Apr 2024 at 08:37
He and I are in the same situation - post RP was zero then the next test was 0.12 in December, tested in March at 0.19 and yesterday it was 0.22.

Just had the first hormone injection on Tuesday (every 3 months) but so far no side effects (but that may change of course). Having my prelim CT scan for radiotherapy on May 6th and then 33 daily treatments starting on May 21st.

The oncologist basically said that based on the PIRADS 5 and some positive margin that it was entirely expected (and I agreed) and he fully expected the SRT to be totally curative although they cover themselves by saying that reoccurrence is possible in 5-10 years.

I'll keep my profile updated as I progress through the treatment but feel free to ask questions as there are lots of us who have gone/are going through exactly the same :)

Take care

Steve

User
Posted 17 Apr 2024 at 13:51

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
Willow mentioned that her husband was going to be prescribed a 2 year course of HT Do I recall that John was also initially prescribed a long course of HT and decided that he'd had enough after 6 months and opted out?

Oncos have such wildly different approaches and presumably each feels that their way works. John was different to Willow's OH in a couple of ways - first, his PSA didn't rise so soon after the op (it took 2 years), second - he had hormone tablets rather than injections and third - the original plan was for 3 months before RT and one year after. But yes, you are correct - he stopped the bicalutimide 3 months after the RT rather than do the full 12

Lots of research these days to suggest that 18 months HT is just as effective as 2 or 3 years but there may be a very good reason why Willow's onco is saying 2 years ... for example, the 18 / 24 months is usually referring to how long after the RT. An onco might say 2 years meaning "3 months before, and a bit more than 18 months after"  

Edited by member 17 Apr 2024 at 13:56  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 04 Apr 2024 at 09:09

Hi Willow, 

I'm so sorry to hear about the rise. Its something that I dread. Hopefully they'll get it sorted ASAP.

Like your husband, I was T3a but with EPE and a higher Gleason  9 (4+5).  I've been told there is over 60% chance of recurrence. One year on and my PSA is fortunately still undetectable.

During my prostatectomy the surgeon removed the seminal fluid vesicles, some fatty tissue and 9 lymph nodes. Did you husbands surgeon remove anything else other than his actual prostate?

From what I've seen on here there is a lot of difference between additional bits and pieces that are removed during the op.

Edited by member 04 Apr 2024 at 09:43  | Reason: Typo

User
Posted 04 Apr 2024 at 11:20

Mine was upgraded post op from T2c to T3a and Gleason up from 8 (4+4) to 9 (4+5). They said the Gleason score may have been raised as I'd been on HT for a few weeks prior to the op. 

On one of my scans they'd found nodules in my lungs but no-one seems bothered about them. I've done a bit of my own research and it's seems normal to have nodules there. Who knows. 🫤

I sincerely wish you and your husband well and hope they kill the beast.

User
Posted 04 Apr 2024 at 15:39

Yes lung nodules are common, but they are investigating them(pulmonary sarcoidosis)

User
Posted 08 Apr 2024 at 00:30

For people with a detectable PSA after surgery the assumption is that there are some remaining cancer cells in the prostate bed i.e. just next to where the prostate was. Hitting this area with RT may kill them and hence cure the patient.

If scans show cancer cells beyond the prostate bed i.e. hip bones, pelvic lymph nodes or beyond. The assumption is that the cancer has spread and may be in many other places but be too small to show on the scans. This would be advanced cancer and could only be cured if every cancer cell was destroyed, including ones which are too small to show on scans, this is generally considered impossible.

As of late some oncologists are treating the visible hotspots with RT hoping there are no other hidden hotspots. Google oligometastic cancer to see more. The NHS seems to assume that once there are more than five hotspots it is not worth attempting treating them. There may be other reasons an oncologist thinks RT will not get all the cancer. If RT is ruled out then HT is the only option left. 

I have no idea as to whether a different oncologist would advocate RT for your husband. Some other poster on here may be able to read your profile and spot why your husband is unlikely to be a good candidate for RT. It may be that a second opinion is worth seeking, I don't know how you would pursue that or if it would be worthwhile.

Edited by member 08 Apr 2024 at 16:53  | Reason: Not specified

Dave

User
Posted 13 Apr 2024 at 10:16

Well at least they are moving quickly...... Appointment on Tuesday. 

I'll be thinking of you both. Best of luck.

User
Posted 13 Apr 2024 at 11:03

Willow,hope all goes well with the appointment, is this his first post op appointment or reaction to the 0.1 blood test. Is that a definite 0.1 or a less than<0.1. I did have some fluctuating PSA results. I was frequently told my PSA could level off at 0.1 

I had poor histology but my post op PSA was 0.03 and it was three years before salvage RT happened. SRT did half the job and in the last two years I have had two lymph nodes tumors treated on separate occasions.

Nearly ten years on from surgery and still here and still managed to dodge long term HT.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 13 Apr 2024 at 11:11

Hi Chris , no his first post op appointment was 5weeks after surgery his PSA was 0.043, consultant said he wanted it to be lower so requested another test 5/6weeks later , that was 0.13. so although he wants to see him in 6months he has referred him to oncology.

User
Posted 13 Apr 2024 at 11:49

Willow, okay thanks, with my PSA rising slowly we are in different situations.

I had the "very educated guess " salvage RT to the prostate bed seven years ago. With the advances in PSMA scans I was surprised when an oncology nurse speaker at a support group meeting said they still use the educated guess approach. 

Our hospital will not PSMA scan below 0.3.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 16 Apr 2024 at 19:34

Hi , not really sure how we feel about the outcome of today's meeting, they want to do 6weeks of radiotherapy to the area where the prostate was and 24 months of hormone therapy. They have said that it is unusual as all margins left were negative.....  They won't do any scans until his PSA is 0.2 . We are having another PSA test in two weeks, giving us a bit of time to decide, but I don't think we have any other choices.

User
Posted 16 Apr 2024 at 19:42

Thank you for the update. I was wondering how you'd got on.  Is that 30 radition treatments from Mon - Fri for 6 weeks?

User
Posted 16 Apr 2024 at 20:03

Hi Adrian,  yes that's right..... I just can't get my head around the fact that they are guessing about location of the cancer.... 

User
Posted 16 Apr 2024 at 20:55

That's a long sentence of HT for salvage treatment

User
Posted 17 Apr 2024 at 07:30

My husband had a recurrence post-op and had salvage RT to the prostate bed and bladder - no scans, just a 'best guess' based on the pathology, the oncologist's many years of experience and how the PSA was behaving. That was 12 years ago so, in our case, was worth the gamble!  

Morning Lyn.

Willow mentioned that her husband was going to be prescribed a 2 year course of HT

Do I recall that John was also initially prescribed a long course of HT and decided that he'd had enough after 6 months and opted out?

Willow, 

This is a recent conversation that seems to raise similar 'best guess'  issues.

https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t30450-PSA-doubling-time-and-what-next

Edited by member 17 Apr 2024 at 10:01  | Reason: Additional text

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 04 Apr 2024 at 07:49

Hi Willow,

I realise this must have come as quite a shock for you both…there seems to be quite a few posts on here ATM where men are requiring SRT. All I can suggest is that you try and console yourselves in that at least you have a Plan B. And if SRT IS required, it’s not bad at all and hopefully your OH will only require a short time on HT and may not even HAVE many side effects.

This is a rollercoaster journey we are all on with so many ups and downs. Trying to stay positive is easier said than done, but I find being good to myself and family, having lots of ‘treats’ and keeping busy and active really helps me.

Good luck to both of you.

Derek

User
Posted 04 Apr 2024 at 08:27

Hi Derek

Thank you for your wise words and advice....  We had been told that there was always going to be a chance of further treatment......but we didn't envisage it being so soon after surgery.  He is being referred to an oncologist asap.

User
Posted 04 Apr 2024 at 08:37
He and I are in the same situation - post RP was zero then the next test was 0.12 in December, tested in March at 0.19 and yesterday it was 0.22.

Just had the first hormone injection on Tuesday (every 3 months) but so far no side effects (but that may change of course). Having my prelim CT scan for radiotherapy on May 6th and then 33 daily treatments starting on May 21st.

The oncologist basically said that based on the PIRADS 5 and some positive margin that it was entirely expected (and I agreed) and he fully expected the SRT to be totally curative although they cover themselves by saying that reoccurrence is possible in 5-10 years.

I'll keep my profile updated as I progress through the treatment but feel free to ask questions as there are lots of us who have gone/are going through exactly the same :)

Take care

Steve

User
Posted 04 Apr 2024 at 09:05

Thank you Steve,

It's just happened so quickly , his consultant had said how well the operation went , the cancer was contained within the prostate (they originally thought it had broken through).    He had his operation 11 weeks ago, PSA has increased very quickly (blood test done at same lab)

User
Posted 04 Apr 2024 at 09:09

Hi Willow, 

I'm so sorry to hear about the rise. Its something that I dread. Hopefully they'll get it sorted ASAP.

Like your husband, I was T3a but with EPE and a higher Gleason  9 (4+5).  I've been told there is over 60% chance of recurrence. One year on and my PSA is fortunately still undetectable.

During my prostatectomy the surgeon removed the seminal fluid vesicles, some fatty tissue and 9 lymph nodes. Did you husbands surgeon remove anything else other than his actual prostate?

From what I've seen on here there is a lot of difference between additional bits and pieces that are removed during the op.

Edited by member 04 Apr 2024 at 09:43  | Reason: Typo

User
Posted 04 Apr 2024 at 10:52

Hello Adrian

Thanks for your reply , the results from the surgery were very positive , his gleeson score remained the same but they downgraded from a t3a to T2 because the cancer was contained within the prostate. The took all seminal vessels and fatty tissue all was tested and came back negative.  I'm just really worried about his lungs and hoping that it isn't connected.

User
Posted 04 Apr 2024 at 11:20

Mine was upgraded post op from T2c to T3a and Gleason up from 8 (4+4) to 9 (4+5). They said the Gleason score may have been raised as I'd been on HT for a few weeks prior to the op. 

On one of my scans they'd found nodules in my lungs but no-one seems bothered about them. I've done a bit of my own research and it's seems normal to have nodules there. Who knows. 🫤

I sincerely wish you and your husband well and hope they kill the beast.

User
Posted 04 Apr 2024 at 15:39

Yes lung nodules are common, but they are investigating them(pulmonary sarcoidosis)

User
Posted 06 Apr 2024 at 08:22

Willow 

I’ve found your post useful as the replies are helping me with my current position. Having had a RARP in December 2022 my PSA has risen to 0.2. A referral has been made to an oncologist and I have been told by the cancer nurses to expect RT. It’s not the position any of us want to be in, but we all plough on.

User
Posted 06 Apr 2024 at 17:23
Hi,

Your initial psa test was 5 weeks after surgery at 0.04. I notice you didn't write <0.04 which means it was less than 0.04 and classed as undetectable. Are you sure it was 0.04 as GPs sometimes don't use the < sign and I don't know where you're getting your results.

Your next test was 6 weeks later and was 0.1. That appears a fast rise but it might be worth checking the threshold of detectable psa hasn't been raised to <0.1 at where-ever you get your report. Some places do use 0.1.

Assuming it is detectable it still seems a lot and I'd wonder if the result is correct or if something caused it to rise more. It might be wishful thinking but my psa went up and down and it has happened to others.

All the best

User
Posted 07 Apr 2024 at 20:27

Hi Peter , thank you for your reply , both tests have been done at the hospital under the guidance of the surgeon who performed the surgery. He is the one who has contacted my OH to tell him about the referral. Both tests taken and  developed at the hospital.  

User
Posted 07 Apr 2024 at 20:32

Hi , thank you for your post..... To be honest I think this was harder to accept than the initial diagnosis...  I'm really pleased the replies have helped you .... I know this site and it's wonderful members have helped us so much  . You can't give up you have to keep battling. 

All the best 

User
Posted 07 Apr 2024 at 23:37

I've noticed a lot of people on here saying about radiotherapy after recurrence.

My husband was just told hormone therapy for life.  He had PMSA scan and has 4 spots, one in lymph node, one in hip bone and 2 others in pelvic area.

Radiotherapy hasn't been mentioned at all.

User
Posted 08 Apr 2024 at 00:30

For people with a detectable PSA after surgery the assumption is that there are some remaining cancer cells in the prostate bed i.e. just next to where the prostate was. Hitting this area with RT may kill them and hence cure the patient.

If scans show cancer cells beyond the prostate bed i.e. hip bones, pelvic lymph nodes or beyond. The assumption is that the cancer has spread and may be in many other places but be too small to show on the scans. This would be advanced cancer and could only be cured if every cancer cell was destroyed, including ones which are too small to show on scans, this is generally considered impossible.

As of late some oncologists are treating the visible hotspots with RT hoping there are no other hidden hotspots. Google oligometastic cancer to see more. The NHS seems to assume that once there are more than five hotspots it is not worth attempting treating them. There may be other reasons an oncologist thinks RT will not get all the cancer. If RT is ruled out then HT is the only option left. 

I have no idea as to whether a different oncologist would advocate RT for your husband. Some other poster on here may be able to read your profile and spot why your husband is unlikely to be a good candidate for RT. It may be that a second opinion is worth seeking, I don't know how you would pursue that or if it would be worthwhile.

Edited by member 08 Apr 2024 at 16:53  | Reason: Not specified

Dave

User
Posted 13 Apr 2024 at 07:45

User
Posted 13 Apr 2024 at 10:16

I'll be thinking of you both. Best of luck.

User
Posted 13 Apr 2024 at 11:03

Willow,hope all goes well with the appointment, is this his first post op appointment or reaction to the 0.1 blood test. Is that a definite 0.1 or a less than<0.1. I did have some fluctuating PSA results. I was frequently told my PSA could level off at 0.1 

I had poor histology but my post op PSA was 0.03 and it was three years before salvage RT happened. SRT did half the job and in the last two years I have had two lymph nodes tumors treated on separate occasions.

Nearly ten years on from surgery and still here and still managed to dodge long term HT.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 13 Apr 2024 at 11:11

Hi Chris , no his first post op appointment was 5weeks after surgery his PSA was 0.043, consultant said he wanted it to be lower so requested another test 5/6weeks later , that was 0.13. so although he wants to see him in 6months he has referred him to oncology.

User
Posted 13 Apr 2024 at 11:49

Willow, okay thanks, with my PSA rising slowly we are in different situations.

I had the "very educated guess " salvage RT to the prostate bed seven years ago. With the advances in PSMA scans I was surprised when an oncology nurse speaker at a support group meeting said they still use the educated guess approach. 

Our hospital will not PSMA scan below 0.3.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 16 Apr 2024 at 19:34

Hi , not really sure how we feel about the outcome of today's meeting, they want to do 6weeks of radiotherapy to the area where the prostate was and 24 months of hormone therapy. They have said that it is unusual as all margins left were negative.....  They won't do any scans until his PSA is 0.2 . We are having another PSA test in two weeks, giving us a bit of time to decide, but I don't think we have any other choices.

User
Posted 16 Apr 2024 at 19:42

Thank you for the update. I was wondering how you'd got on.  Is that 30 radition treatments from Mon - Fri for 6 weeks?

User
Posted 16 Apr 2024 at 20:03

Hi Adrian,  yes that's right..... I just can't get my head around the fact that they are guessing about location of the cancer.... 

User
Posted 16 Apr 2024 at 20:55

That's a long sentence of HT for salvage treatment

User
Posted 16 Apr 2024 at 21:46

Hi Chris, what would you consider a reasonable length of time?

User
Posted 17 Apr 2024 at 00:19

But if the alternative is to just accept that he is incurable and will have hormone treatment until he dies in 5-10 years, the 'best guess' starts to look much more appealing - an opportunity to still achieve full remission. And in your case, they have a lot of data from the diagnosis to help them make a professional judgment (rather than just wild guesswork) - the fact that the initial staging was T3 and, as you said in a previous post, you had chosen surgery knowing that further treatment might be needed.  

My husband had a recurrence post-op and had salvage RT to the prostate bed and bladder - no scans, just a 'best guess' based on the pathology, the oncologist's many years of experience and how the PSA was behaving. That was 12 years ago so, in our case, was worth the gamble!  

Edited by member 17 Apr 2024 at 00:25  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 17 Apr 2024 at 06:39

Hi LynEyre

Thank you for your reply ,yes we were told that further treatment might be needed, we just didn't expect it so quickly after being told the surgery was a success and had negative margins. Your reply has really helped me to put things into perspective.  The consultant has acted very quickly which is brilliant , may I ask is your husband in full remission?

Thank you 

User
Posted 17 Apr 2024 at 07:30

Morning Lyn.

Willow mentioned that her husband was going to be prescribed a 2 year course of HT

Do I recall that John was also initially prescribed a long course of HT and decided that he'd had enough after 6 months and opted out?

Willow, 

This is a recent conversation that seems to raise similar 'best guess'  issues.

https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t30450-PSA-doubling-time-and-what-next

Edited by member 17 Apr 2024 at 10:01  | Reason: Additional text

User
Posted 17 Apr 2024 at 13:51

Willow mentioned that her husband was going to be prescribed a 2 year course of HT Do I recall that John was also initially prescribed a long course of HT and decided that he'd had enough after 6 months and opted out?

Oncos have such wildly different approaches and presumably each feels that their way works. John was different to Willow's OH in a couple of ways - first, his PSA didn't rise so soon after the op (it took 2 years), second - he had hormone tablets rather than injections and third - the original plan was for 3 months before RT and one year after. But yes, you are correct - he stopped the bicalutimide 3 months after the RT rather than do the full 12

Lots of research these days to suggest that 18 months HT is just as effective as 2 or 3 years but there may be a very good reason why Willow's onco is saying 2 years ... for example, the 18 / 24 months is usually referring to how long after the RT. An onco might say 2 years meaning "3 months before, and a bit more than 18 months after"  

Edited by member 17 Apr 2024 at 13:56  | Reason: Not specified