I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Symptoms and awaiting second psa test results

User
Posted 04 Apr 2024 at 17:19

Hi I all just a bit worried,  Iam 47 and three months ago I started getting symptoms,  pain in the lower back,  urinating more frequently,  especially at night and a burning pain,  I went to my doctor they tested my urine no sign of infection but I did have a white cell count , they gave me a course of antibiotics and pain relief,  my symptoms stayed the same.  My father had pca at 57 so they waited a month and give me a psa test my results were 9.7 , I've just had a second psa test and iam awaiting the results,  since my second test I've also had a dre which I was told seemed fine and another urine test with the same outcome. 

User
Posted 04 Apr 2024 at 17:19

Hi I all just a bit worried,  Iam 47 and three months ago I started getting symptoms,  pain in the lower back,  urinating more frequently,  especially at night and a burning pain,  I went to my doctor they tested my urine no sign of infection but I did have a white cell count , they gave me a course of antibiotics and pain relief,  my symptoms stayed the same.  My father had pca at 57 so they waited a month and give me a psa test my results were 9.7 , I've just had a second psa test and iam awaiting the results,  since my second test I've also had a dre which I was told seemed fine and another urine test with the same outcome. 

User
Posted 05 Apr 2024 at 15:13

Hi Franc

I went to my GP for a swollen knee, I thought given my age I would request a PSA as they were taking bloods anyway. Long story short- two PSA tests 8.44 then 8.38. GP did a DRE and said all was fine and there was no reason she would refer me, a second doctor at the practice saw my results and referred me to a urologist - outcome - hard area with nodules- MRI done - Pi- rads 3, two days later had a phone call requesting a biopsy on area of prostate. I asked the nurse what had been highlighted, could it be cancer. Her reply was “the MRI has found an area of significant concern but they need the biopsy to confirm” If it was left to my first doctor I would not be on this site, and maybe when I started getting symptoms it would have been well advanced.

Go to your doctor and get referred, a urologist will do a more thorough DRE than your doctor.

good luck

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 05 Apr 2024 at 00:18
PSA is high but could be prostatitis with those symptoms.

Keep pushing for a diagnosis.

User
Posted 05 Apr 2024 at 15:13

Hi Franc

I went to my GP for a swollen knee, I thought given my age I would request a PSA as they were taking bloods anyway. Long story short- two PSA tests 8.44 then 8.38. GP did a DRE and said all was fine and there was no reason she would refer me, a second doctor at the practice saw my results and referred me to a urologist - outcome - hard area with nodules- MRI done - Pi- rads 3, two days later had a phone call requesting a biopsy on area of prostate. I asked the nurse what had been highlighted, could it be cancer. Her reply was “the MRI has found an area of significant concern but they need the biopsy to confirm” If it was left to my first doctor I would not be on this site, and maybe when I started getting symptoms it would have been well advanced.

Go to your doctor and get referred, a urologist will do a more thorough DRE than your doctor.

good luck

User
Posted 05 Apr 2024 at 19:27

Thanks for your advice,  I've got a face to face consultation with the doctor on Monday,  so hopefully I will know more then.