Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Worried about the full bladder for treatment

User
Posted 05 Apr 2024 at 13:40

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone can share their experiences.

My Dad has been diagnosed with T2c, Gleason grade 9 (4+5). He has 2 options, radiotherapy or rarp. He has been put on hormone treatment straight away.

We’ve spent time talking it all through and watching the videos etc and he has decided that he would like to go with Radiotherapy, however he is now not sleeping because he is worried that he won’t be able to hold his full bladder. He is a worrier. We know that he can do it but when he tries to time it he can’t. The worry is stopping him from sleeping.

How long do you need to hold the full bladder for? 

thanks for your help

Edited by member 05 Apr 2024 at 15:51  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 05 Apr 2024 at 18:15

My husband just completed RT a few weeks ago, he was told to keep hydrated with at least 2 litres of water a day. That helped him get used to being well hydrated and holding it as he started  that a few weeks before treatment. 

he went to the toilet on arrival at hospital,20-30m before his appointment  drank 500ml then had his treatment. If he needs to go then so be it, he can and drink more - sometimes they may say just pee half a cup if the bladder is a little too full. The actual time in the table is just a few minutes.

please try  not to worry, and good luck. Everyone in oncology are lovely and they understand. We worried before it started, but the  most stressful part of this ( aside from day 1) was trying to park! 

if they suggest a low residue, low fibre diet, as bland as it is follow it. That keeps him free of gas which can cause an issue. Not all hospitals ask that, ours did. 

Edited by member 05 Apr 2024 at 18:17  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 05 Apr 2024 at 20:13

The bladder does start to get irritated as you are getting towards the end of your allotted sessions, making holding a full bladder a bit trickier. On one session I timed it badly and ended up letting it go on the table. The RT team could see from the cameras that I was having difficulty and they just told me to hang in there. It was all a bit embarrassing at the time but the RT team were quite matter of fact about it. "It happens all the time". They gave me some paper pants to put on, so at least I didn't have to leave the hospital commando. I'm sure your dad will find the team very helpful and supportive.

User
Posted 05 Apr 2024 at 17:39
I am just about to embark on the RT journey (33 sessions) and have been told that I need to hold a bladder for 30 minutes. I will have a urinal bottle ready just in case.

Apparently they have some penis clips that go around the base of the penis if I have any problems holding it.

User
Posted 05 Apr 2024 at 18:31
Thats always a worry with RT. For me, with 37 sessions, it wasn't too bad as, at Clatterbridge where I had treatment the procedure involved mini enema upon arrival at hospital and I'd generally empty bladder same time. When the RT team knew my treatment was something like 30mins away (can't remember exactly but it wasnt longer than that)I would be asked to drink 3 cups of water - personally think this a sensible way. Diet wise the advice was to not radically change diet as that may cause issues although I think it was suggested to avoid the likes of broccoli & other 'wind' vegetables etc.

As has been said the RT people are very sympathetic and deal with everyone very thoughfully, they realise some may struggle with one thing or another.

Peter

User
Posted 05 Apr 2024 at 19:48

Well at The Christie in Manchester, they didn't want a full bladder, in fact their protocol was empty bladder. It may depend where the cancer is in the prostate, for all I know at The Christie some others may have had to have a full bladder. He may be worrying for no reason at all. 

Dave

User
Posted 05 Apr 2024 at 20:12

I had 25 treatments at Weston Park in Sheffield,  main problem was if machines broke down or they got behind , we were given an appointment time asked to empty bladder 40 minutes before treatment time then drink 500ml of water.

I measured my 500ml at home and took in a bottle with me , the water fountain produced water too cold for me and I knew the exact amount I drank , if delayed staff told us , I could tap a drop off if felt too full .

A disposable urinal was kept next to the scanner just incase. 

Once treatment done and dressed it was pleasure to make the toilet first stop.

Best advice practise , empty bladder , drink 500ml and hold it , I managed 2 hours once.

Be right , best wishes and don't worry .

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 05 Apr 2024 at 17:39
I am just about to embark on the RT journey (33 sessions) and have been told that I need to hold a bladder for 30 minutes. I will have a urinal bottle ready just in case.

Apparently they have some penis clips that go around the base of the penis if I have any problems holding it.

User
Posted 05 Apr 2024 at 18:15

My husband just completed RT a few weeks ago, he was told to keep hydrated with at least 2 litres of water a day. That helped him get used to being well hydrated and holding it as he started  that a few weeks before treatment. 

he went to the toilet on arrival at hospital,20-30m before his appointment  drank 500ml then had his treatment. If he needs to go then so be it, he can and drink more - sometimes they may say just pee half a cup if the bladder is a little too full. The actual time in the table is just a few minutes.

please try  not to worry, and good luck. Everyone in oncology are lovely and they understand. We worried before it started, but the  most stressful part of this ( aside from day 1) was trying to park! 

if they suggest a low residue, low fibre diet, as bland as it is follow it. That keeps him free of gas which can cause an issue. Not all hospitals ask that, ours did. 

Edited by member 05 Apr 2024 at 18:17  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 05 Apr 2024 at 18:31
Thats always a worry with RT. For me, with 37 sessions, it wasn't too bad as, at Clatterbridge where I had treatment the procedure involved mini enema upon arrival at hospital and I'd generally empty bladder same time. When the RT team knew my treatment was something like 30mins away (can't remember exactly but it wasnt longer than that)I would be asked to drink 3 cups of water - personally think this a sensible way. Diet wise the advice was to not radically change diet as that may cause issues although I think it was suggested to avoid the likes of broccoli & other 'wind' vegetables etc.

As has been said the RT people are very sympathetic and deal with everyone very thoughfully, they realise some may struggle with one thing or another.

Peter

User
Posted 05 Apr 2024 at 19:48

Well at The Christie in Manchester, they didn't want a full bladder, in fact their protocol was empty bladder. It may depend where the cancer is in the prostate, for all I know at The Christie some others may have had to have a full bladder. He may be worrying for no reason at all. 

Dave

User
Posted 05 Apr 2024 at 20:12

I had 25 treatments at Weston Park in Sheffield,  main problem was if machines broke down or they got behind , we were given an appointment time asked to empty bladder 40 minutes before treatment time then drink 500ml of water.

I measured my 500ml at home and took in a bottle with me , the water fountain produced water too cold for me and I knew the exact amount I drank , if delayed staff told us , I could tap a drop off if felt too full .

A disposable urinal was kept next to the scanner just incase. 

Once treatment done and dressed it was pleasure to make the toilet first stop.

Best advice practise , empty bladder , drink 500ml and hold it , I managed 2 hours once.

Be right , best wishes and don't worry .

User
Posted 05 Apr 2024 at 20:13

The bladder does start to get irritated as you are getting towards the end of your allotted sessions, making holding a full bladder a bit trickier. On one session I timed it badly and ended up letting it go on the table. The RT team could see from the cameras that I was having difficulty and they just told me to hang in there. It was all a bit embarrassing at the time but the RT team were quite matter of fact about it. "It happens all the time". They gave me some paper pants to put on, so at least I didn't have to leave the hospital commando. I'm sure your dad will find the team very helpful and supportive.

User
Posted 05 Apr 2024 at 22:31

Chellied, the staff have seen it all before and they should be able to help. Similar experience to previous posts. Keep hydrated especially if the weather gets warmer. I drank 500mls on the way to hospital, I checked at reception to make sure they were on time. If on time I would empty the bladder and then fill my bottle with unchilled water and drink the 500 mls. l wore a pad in my underwear just in case. I also had the urine bottle in my bag in the room. 

The staff said I could use the bottle in the treatment room if really required. I checked out where the nearest toilet was and also knew where a backup toilet was if required. 

Hope all goes well.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 05 Apr 2024 at 22:44

Hi Chellied,

To answer your question I think it’s normally 30 minutes since finishing your water, whatever they tell you to drink.
Your dads bound to be nervous but let me try and reassure you AND your dad that the Radiographers are simply wonderful, so understanding and helpful and they’ve seen it all before and won’t bother if he has an accident.

Heres some hints that might help him.

If during the wait he is struggling, let the staff know and they might say to let a bit out just to keep you comfortable, But Ask first!

I found that if I did something to keep my mind of wanting to pee, it helped enormously. I played solitaire on my phone and I also wrote a poem about my journey. The time passed much quicker that way and took my mind off it.

Check when you go in if they’re running on time and don’t start drink your water until they either tell you too, or in my case I just drank it 35 mins before I knew I was going to be taken.

Take some spare underwear and trousers just in case. If he’s in a car on the way home I would also take a pee bottle with you (which you can buy on Amazon) and a towel and wipes just in case he needs to go, especially if you’ve got more than a short journey. If it’s a long journey you might want to find out where toilet stops could be.

Finally, I am sure like the rest of us, he will get into a routine and soon be chatting away to the radiographers and wondering WHY he was ever worried😊

Wish your dad the best of luck from me,

Derek

User
Posted 07 Apr 2024 at 00:19
It sounds like dad is trying to imagine getting a completely full bladder and then having to hold it for a period of time. As people have described above, you don't get a full bladder and then start holding ... you empty your bladder and then drink a set amount of water 45 or 30 mins before the appointment. Also as described above, some oncos like their patients to have an empty bladder instead.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 08 Apr 2024 at 20:31
As others have said, be reassured that the excellent staff will help your dad work out the best way to manage. It can be an anxiety to you but not to them.

For what it is worth, I was asked for a partially full bladder (about 250-300 ml) so the problems weren't holding it but managing if there were delays. But centres vary, depending on the machines and their protocols.

User
Posted 09 Apr 2024 at 10:12

I had 33 radiotherapy sessions.  Some days it was harder than others not to wet myself but I never did.

One thing to remember is the journey home.  I was only 15 minutes' drive from the cancer centre but often struggled to make it home even though I had gone in the hospital before leaving.