I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Recovery post RP

User
Posted 06 Apr 2024 at 10:11

Hi, it’s been nearly a year since my RP although I’m doing well, I’m writing this post because I have just had another surgery to fix a inguinal hernia, and wanted to share (in my opinion) an important piece of help and advice to anyone who might be having prostate removal soon.

After my discharge from RP surgery, I had to return to A&E the next day as had immense pain from being constipated and unable to push/open bowels because of fear and pain from procedure. The nurse at A&E administered an enema in rectum which resolved the issue almost immediately, but all this fuss could’ve been prevented had I received that enema before I was discharged following my RP.

So, prior to my (open surgery) hernia op, I purchased the same enema online  (Cleen Ready-to-use Enema) and was so thankful I did, because, again I was painfully constipated and unable to push because of my abdominal pain post surgery.

Just wanted to share with everyone… hopefully you may not need it, but if you do, you’ll be so thankful you purchased it I promise!

N

User
Posted 06 Apr 2024 at 10:11

Hi, it’s been nearly a year since my RP although I’m doing well, I’m writing this post because I have just had another surgery to fix a inguinal hernia, and wanted to share (in my opinion) an important piece of help and advice to anyone who might be having prostate removal soon.

After my discharge from RP surgery, I had to return to A&E the next day as had immense pain from being constipated and unable to push/open bowels because of fear and pain from procedure. The nurse at A&E administered an enema in rectum which resolved the issue almost immediately, but all this fuss could’ve been prevented had I received that enema before I was discharged following my RP.

So, prior to my (open surgery) hernia op, I purchased the same enema online  (Cleen Ready-to-use Enema) and was so thankful I did, because, again I was painfully constipated and unable to push because of my abdominal pain post surgery.

Just wanted to share with everyone… hopefully you may not need it, but if you do, you’ll be so thankful you purchased it I promise!

N

User
Posted 07 Apr 2024 at 08:53
I must have been lucky - given laxatives by the hospital on my discharge which my GP felt werenโ€™t very good, so he prescribed one he felt would be better. Made life a lot easier!
User
Posted 07 Apr 2024 at 10:02

There is nothing worse than being constipated following the op. I went 10 days without a poo and in the end I had to call the GP for some extra strong laxatives. But when she blew she blew! I thought the world had fallen out of my bottom. ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ‘

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 06 Apr 2024 at 23:52

Nigel, good shout. I had my first ride in an ambulance as a result of constipation after RARP surgery. Thankfully Morphine is an incredible pain relief medication. I asked for some laxatives in hospital post surgery and was refused, I was told I didn't have constipation. Even when I told the nurse that at 62 I knew more about my body than she did,it was still refused. 

I think some hospitals are now issuing laxatives a few days before surgery.

Good luck with your recovery.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 07 Apr 2024 at 08:53
I must have been lucky - given laxatives by the hospital on my discharge which my GP felt werenโ€™t very good, so he prescribed one he felt would be better. Made life a lot easier!
User
Posted 07 Apr 2024 at 10:02

There is nothing worse than being constipated following the op. I went 10 days without a poo and in the end I had to call the GP for some extra strong laxatives. But when she blew she blew! I thought the world had fallen out of my bottom. ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ‘

User
Posted 07 Apr 2024 at 11:00

Hi Chris, I also ended up in an ambulance with morphine on way to A&E! with so much going on post surgery, the last thing anyone in this situation needs is to be in pain due to constipation!  All efforts should be focused on a calm recovery. Being able to open bowels without pain and fear should be prioritised as part of recovery, but seems fairly overlooked unfortunately.

If these comments help future patients, then we’ve played our small part in their best recovery.

Thanks,

N

User
Posted 07 Apr 2024 at 11:46
I was always told to drink plenty of plain, tepid water after the op to help relieve any constipation and if necessary to use a mild OTC laxative which I did (Senokot) - the first movement was automatic and loose enough to come out naturally and not needing to be pushed.

From discussions with various nurses and the urologist, they try and keep people away from enemas as much as possible due to the irritation of the bowel that they cause. Of course, sometimes there is no alternative in an emergency.

But water intake does seem to be key.

User
Posted 07 Apr 2024 at 12:19

Everybody has different experiences post op, I followed all recommendations from medical staff in regards to water intake and laxatives etc, but ending back up in A&E after op with truly excruciating pain of constipation is something that could’ve been totally avoided…100% recommend the Cleen Enema product for relief.