I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Not sure what means

User
Posted 06 Apr 2024 at 12:00

Had DRE done at Doctors told had large symetrical prostate, sent for PSA test came back Serum prostate specific antigen level (XabAM) 0.68 ug/L ,am 64 years old 

User
Posted 06 Apr 2024 at 13:04

Serum prostate specific antigen level (XabAM). That is the long name for PSA and your result is 0.68 ug/L which is well below the level which triggers further investigation (2.9) . I am not sure what the XabAM means, I would take a guess it is the machine the test was done on. AM might mean Abbot Method, but I doubt it is important.

A large prostate is not predictive of cancer. A symmetrical prostate is good news. 

In short the tests you have had so far do not suggest cancer. The PSA test is notoriously unreliable, and monitoring the rate of change of PSA over time is much more use than one single value.

Obviously follow the advice of your doctors, not some random guy on the internet, but I would be surprised if you were diagnosed with clinically significant prostate cancer. I wouldn't be surprised if you have clinically insignificant prostate cancer most men of your age do have that, if you have it just needs monitoring.

Dave

User
Posted 06 Apr 2024 at 13:10

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Had DRE done at Doctors told had large symetrical prostate, sent for PSA test came back Serum prostate specific antigen level (XabAM) 0.68 ug/L ,am 64 years old 

Hi Tells, welcome to the forum. As Dave says they are excellent results. I doubt we'll see you on here much more. 👍 

User
Posted 06 Apr 2024 at 14:15
Would the readings make much difference being on 10mg statins for 5years
User
Posted 06 Apr 2024 at 14:24
No statins don't impact it significantly.

0.68 is actually very low for someone with a prostate

User
Posted 06 Apr 2024 at 18:41
Thanks very much
User
Posted 07 Apr 2024 at 05:37

You sure have the prostate of a 44 not 64...your PSA level is very impressive; ie, low for your age group!

I'm 49 and have the PSA level of a 69...as of April 3, 2024 my PSA level is 1.36 with free PSA ratio of 28%.

As of August 2023, my DRE was enlarged prostate, smooth, no nodules.

Thanks,

Omar