I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Major Travel

User
Posted 10 Apr 2024 at 00:08

Remembering that I currently live in the US, I just traveled to the UK, then all around Portugal, and back again.  It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be regarding incontinence.  The worse was going to the bathroom on the aircraft.  In hindsight, I highly recommend an aisle seat, the stress leakage from climbing over people was a pretty big issue.  Also, changing the underwear in an aircraft is not recommended.  On another note, while in Portugal, we started the process of buying a house, so retirement here we come.  Now with the stress of the impending move, Visas, selling the current house etc, I am expecting some issues to arise, so I won't be surprised if they do.

Phew, that's all for now,

User
Posted 10 Apr 2024 at 23:06
DJC, at least no one takes any notice of a damp patch on swim shorts, at least as long as you don't stay out of the sea/pool long enough to dry out.

(Been there, first holiday post-op, booked before diagnosis. The discovery I could still have a holiday without the sky falling in was a huge boost, and happily continence slowly improved after that).

User
Posted 11 Apr 2024 at 09:02

Early days yet DJC, speaking to other guys post op you just have to be patient…it will get better hopefully soon.

If you’ve got a Maggies near you try and go in and have a chat with you. Speaking to other menu who’ve had the Op might help reassure him and reduce the anxiety.

All the best to both of you.

Derek

User
Posted 10 Apr 2024 at 07:18

Hi Richard 👋 

Brilliant to hear from you mate,  and lovely to see your recovery is continuing. I hope your big move goes as smoothly as possible. Please keep us updated.

User
Posted 10 Apr 2024 at 08:23

Great stuff Basketcase and good luck with your retirement plans. We have a place in Fuerteventura which we love, but are now restricted in visiting thanks to Brexit.🤬 

User
Posted 10 Apr 2024 at 11:28
How exciting!!! And well done on navigating all the travel with the incontinence issues! We always intended buying a property abroad when we retired…then of course Brexit made us reconsider so we bought a static in the South Lakes instead, literally 5 months before Covid and unfortunately weren’t allowed to visit it once we were allowed to travel as we were in a higher Covid tier than the site!!! But certainly made use of it since!

On the incontinence front…we really are trying to get on and live our lives but Steve is finding it difficult, struggling when we do anything away from our usual routine (he is still fully incontinent, 9 weeks post catheter removal)…..it gives him a level of anxiety that he’s not experienced before and he just feels like shutting the world out and staying at home! I’m not letting him!! I am concerned though as we have a cruise in May planned and a wedding to go to in Skiathos in June!! The cruise is from Southampton but we fly to Skiathos so I’m just hoping there are some signs of improvement by then!

I’m just about to buy some of the incontinence swim shorts that Lyn recommended on here! £50 a pop but worth it if it gives him some confidence.

User
Posted 11 Apr 2024 at 22:50
Adrian,

Tee Hee. Ooops.......

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 10 Apr 2024 at 07:18

Hi Richard 👋 

Brilliant to hear from you mate,  and lovely to see your recovery is continuing. I hope your big move goes as smoothly as possible. Please keep us updated.

User
Posted 10 Apr 2024 at 08:23

Great stuff Basketcase and good luck with your retirement plans. We have a place in Fuerteventura which we love, but are now restricted in visiting thanks to Brexit.🤬 

User
Posted 10 Apr 2024 at 11:28
How exciting!!! And well done on navigating all the travel with the incontinence issues! We always intended buying a property abroad when we retired…then of course Brexit made us reconsider so we bought a static in the South Lakes instead, literally 5 months before Covid and unfortunately weren’t allowed to visit it once we were allowed to travel as we were in a higher Covid tier than the site!!! But certainly made use of it since!

On the incontinence front…we really are trying to get on and live our lives but Steve is finding it difficult, struggling when we do anything away from our usual routine (he is still fully incontinent, 9 weeks post catheter removal)…..it gives him a level of anxiety that he’s not experienced before and he just feels like shutting the world out and staying at home! I’m not letting him!! I am concerned though as we have a cruise in May planned and a wedding to go to in Skiathos in June!! The cruise is from Southampton but we fly to Skiathos so I’m just hoping there are some signs of improvement by then!

I’m just about to buy some of the incontinence swim shorts that Lyn recommended on here! £50 a pop but worth it if it gives him some confidence.

User
Posted 10 Apr 2024 at 23:06
DJC, at least no one takes any notice of a damp patch on swim shorts, at least as long as you don't stay out of the sea/pool long enough to dry out.

(Been there, first holiday post-op, booked before diagnosis. The discovery I could still have a holiday without the sky falling in was a huge boost, and happily continence slowly improved after that).

User
Posted 11 Apr 2024 at 09:02

Early days yet DJC, speaking to other guys post op you just have to be patient…it will get better hopefully soon.

If you’ve got a Maggies near you try and go in and have a chat with you. Speaking to other menu who’ve had the Op might help reassure him and reduce the anxiety.

All the best to both of you.

Derek

User
Posted 11 Apr 2024 at 09:21

I used to pee in the pool pre op.😆

User
Posted 11 Apr 2024 at 22:50
Adrian,

Tee Hee. Ooops.......

User
Posted 12 Apr 2024 at 23:44

I always insist on an aisle seat.