I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

UK Drug shortages

User
Posted 10 Apr 2024 at 08:42

Medicines supply issues are being caused by a combination of factors, with Brexit, the ongoing war in Ukraine, the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic, and broader economic instability all playing a part. These factors stress the medicines supply chain and contribute to global supply issues.

https://cpe.org.uk/our-news/nhs-medicines-shortages-putting-lives-at-risk/#:~:text=Medicines%20supply%20issues%20are%20being,contribute%20to%20global%20supply%20issues.

I've noticed thst there have been a few posts recently complaining a shortage of ED medication. I couldn't get my Invicorp this month!

I'm wondering if Putin is trying to soften us up before invading.😱

Edited by member 10 Apr 2024 at 09:36  | Reason: Typo

User
Posted 10 Apr 2024 at 11:59

There are worldwide shortages of many drugs.

However, the UK is now in a particularly vulnerable position. The EU drug wholesalers keep stocks distributed around the EU, since it makes supply more responsive. However, they stopped keeping any stock in the UK following brexit for many reasons. As we're not in the EU and free movement of drugs between EU and UK stopped, they could no longer balance stocks in distributed warehouses between UK and EU. The government even talked about forbidding the export of drugs in short supply, the effect of which was to stop those drugs ever being stored in the UK in the first place. Apparently there's also some tax to pay on the transfers now, which wasn't the case before brexit.

The NHS is probably the largest single purchaser of drugs in the world. This means it negotiates the lowest prices (excluding concessions for 3rd world countries). This works well when there's enough supply, but when there isn't, the stock which is available goes to the highest bidder, which is usually not the NHS.

The EU is rolling out a legal framework to maintain their distributed stocks, effectively making it a legal requirement to maintain stocks in the EU for EU countries. Not being part of the EU, this is making it even more difficult for the UK to obtain some stocks.

I was at a urology conference in Paris for last several days and spoke with probably all the major drug manufacturers. What was very clear to me was how many of their UK people have now moved to the EU to continue working for these companies. I heard several of their EU staff saying they used to come over the the UK as often as once a week to work with their UK staff, but it's too much hassle now due to brexit and they don't bother any more. I got the impression their UK staff who wanted to remain key in their companies seem to have all moved to the EU. As many of you know, we used to be the main player in drug development in the EU, but it's remarkable how suddenly that changed.

User
Posted 10 Apr 2024 at 08:42

Medicines supply issues are being caused by a combination of factors, with Brexit, the ongoing war in Ukraine, the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic, and broader economic instability all playing a part. These factors stress the medicines supply chain and contribute to global supply issues.

https://cpe.org.uk/our-news/nhs-medicines-shortages-putting-lives-at-risk/#:~:text=Medicines%20supply%20issues%20are%20being,contribute%20to%20global%20supply%20issues.

I've noticed thst there have been a few posts recently complaining a shortage of ED medication. I couldn't get my Invicorp this month!

I'm wondering if Putin is trying to soften us up before invading.😱

Edited by member 10 Apr 2024 at 09:36  | Reason: Typo

User
Posted 10 Apr 2024 at 15:25

He's definitely a real life genius. I've contacted him and he's very kindly helped me out. Top bloke.πŸ‘

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 10 Apr 2024 at 09:48

Well done Adrian, I think you've won 'Pun of the day' with that joke.

Don't ever stop.

Kev.

User
Posted 10 Apr 2024 at 11:23

The joke's on me Kev.

I had just perfected my injecting technique.

Only the other day,  I got two "jumps" from one dose! I felt like a testosterone fuelled teenager again. It shocked the wife!

Now they've cut off my supply. I feel like Lance Armstrong, on The Tour de France, with an flat tyre and without 'a fix.'

Edited by member 10 Apr 2024 at 15:39  | Reason: Additional text

User
Posted 10 Apr 2024 at 11:59

There are worldwide shortages of many drugs.

However, the UK is now in a particularly vulnerable position. The EU drug wholesalers keep stocks distributed around the EU, since it makes supply more responsive. However, they stopped keeping any stock in the UK following brexit for many reasons. As we're not in the EU and free movement of drugs between EU and UK stopped, they could no longer balance stocks in distributed warehouses between UK and EU. The government even talked about forbidding the export of drugs in short supply, the effect of which was to stop those drugs ever being stored in the UK in the first place. Apparently there's also some tax to pay on the transfers now, which wasn't the case before brexit.

The NHS is probably the largest single purchaser of drugs in the world. This means it negotiates the lowest prices (excluding concessions for 3rd world countries). This works well when there's enough supply, but when there isn't, the stock which is available goes to the highest bidder, which is usually not the NHS.

The EU is rolling out a legal framework to maintain their distributed stocks, effectively making it a legal requirement to maintain stocks in the EU for EU countries. Not being part of the EU, this is making it even more difficult for the UK to obtain some stocks.

I was at a urology conference in Paris for last several days and spoke with probably all the major drug manufacturers. What was very clear to me was how many of their UK people have now moved to the EU to continue working for these companies. I heard several of their EU staff saying they used to come over the the UK as often as once a week to work with their UK staff, but it's too much hassle now due to brexit and they don't bother any more. I got the impression their UK staff who wanted to remain key in their companies seem to have all moved to the EU. As many of you know, we used to be the main player in drug development in the EU, but it's remarkable how suddenly that changed.

User
Posted 10 Apr 2024 at 12:25

Cheers for that Andy, as brilliant as ever. πŸ‘

User
Posted 10 Apr 2024 at 14:55

I was wondering if there is anything this Andy guy does not know? He is a fountain of knowledge and very articulate as well.  I wonder if he is human or AI πŸ™‚

User
Posted 10 Apr 2024 at 15:25

He's definitely a real life genius. I've contacted him and he's very kindly helped me out. Top bloke.πŸ‘

User
Posted 12 Apr 2024 at 21:03

Thanks guys.

However, do remember I'm not infallible, and I'm not a clinician.

User
Posted 12 Apr 2024 at 22:50

Good old Brexit just keeps on giving😩 Can anyone tell me of ANY benefits since leaving…I certainly haven’t seen any😱

User
Posted 13 Apr 2024 at 09:01

An extra £300m a day to spend on the NHS Derek πŸ˜‚

One big advantage is not seeing Nigel Farage anymore.

User
Posted 13 Apr 2024 at 09:39

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

An extra £300m a day to spend on the NHS Derek πŸ˜‚

One big advantage is not seeing Nigel Farage anymore.

Yeah, the NHS has really benefited.....NOT!

As well as Farage, its also lovely to see much less of Tim Martin, the owner of Wetherspoons. He promised us boundless economic prosperity but is now having to close loads of his pubs. πŸ™‚

Even the fisherman, who did appear.to have genuine grievances, are now moaning that they're much worse off.