I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

MRI scan preparation

User
Posted 11 Apr 2024 at 10:07

I'm have been diagnosed with higher than normal PSA levels. I have no symptoms. 

I am due an MRI scan this weekend so my basic question is:

Apart from the advised prep (no food, only water prior to the test), is it advisable not to cycle to the appointment. I am aware that cycling is not advised before the PSA test, but would a 5-km bike ride to the hospital influence the MRI scan results?

User
Posted 11 Apr 2024 at 10:54

I can't think how it would make any difference. You do need to flush out the contrast dye quickly afterwards by drinking and peeing lots, and the cycling may leave you less hydrated, so you'll need to drink even more to be peeing lots. I would try to do this before cycling home.

I didn't do it deliberately or even know at the time, but cycling to my consultations was probably big plus. The clinicians have to assess how fit you are to decide which treatments are appropriate and what your life expectancy is from other factors. Turning up with cycling rucksack and cycling helmet is probably one of the best ways to show that. However, unless you've been told otherwise, you are unlikely to have a consultation that day, as they have to wait for the MRI results from a radiologist and the next MDT meeting.

User
Posted 11 Apr 2024 at 10:59

Hi

As Andy say's, I don't see how it will make any difference to your scan. Cycling before PSA test is ruled out because sitting on the saddle can massage the prostate and cause it to release more psa into your bloodstream (apparently). I can't imagine it will change it's appearance on an MRI scan. Good luck!

User
Posted 11 Apr 2024 at 11:29

For some unknown reason, my wife decided that she needed to drive me to my first MRI scan. I'm surprised that didn't interfere with stable imaging, as I was still shaking like a leaf during the procedure.

Good luck mate. 👍

Edited by member 11 Apr 2024 at 11:30  | Reason: Not specified

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 11 Apr 2024 at 10:54

I can't think how it would make any difference. You do need to flush out the contrast dye quickly afterwards by drinking and peeing lots, and the cycling may leave you less hydrated, so you'll need to drink even more to be peeing lots. I would try to do this before cycling home.

I didn't do it deliberately or even know at the time, but cycling to my consultations was probably big plus. The clinicians have to assess how fit you are to decide which treatments are appropriate and what your life expectancy is from other factors. Turning up with cycling rucksack and cycling helmet is probably one of the best ways to show that. However, unless you've been told otherwise, you are unlikely to have a consultation that day, as they have to wait for the MRI results from a radiologist and the next MDT meeting.

User
Posted 11 Apr 2024 at 10:59

Hi

As Andy say's, I don't see how it will make any difference to your scan. Cycling before PSA test is ruled out because sitting on the saddle can massage the prostate and cause it to release more psa into your bloodstream (apparently). I can't imagine it will change it's appearance on an MRI scan. Good luck!

User
Posted 11 Apr 2024 at 11:29

For some unknown reason, my wife decided that she needed to drive me to my first MRI scan. I'm surprised that didn't interfere with stable imaging, as I was still shaking like a leaf during the procedure.

Good luck mate. 👍

Edited by member 11 Apr 2024 at 11:30  | Reason: Not specified