I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Biopsy and scan results

User
Posted 11 Apr 2024 at 10:10

HI, feels strange to be considered as "Young" at 51, not had that for a while now!!

Bit of background, went to the docs for an unrelated condition and eventually he gave me a PSA test.  This came out as 4.5.  Apparently on the border line.  Doc refered me to a urologist and did the usual test,  He though the prostate was enlarged so sent me for an MRi. In the meantime I also did another PSA test and that came back as 4.6

When the MRi results came back they were "Concerning" I now know that the Mri scored a 5.

Went for a TP biopsy, 19 samples taken.  Whilst I was there the urologist showed me the scans and you could clearly see where the wall had been broken through by whatever was there.

2 weeks later and got the results back and there was no sign of any cancer in the samples taken.  There are still concerns so I was given the option of a Template Biopsy or wait.  I chose to go for the template and am now awaiting an appointment for the biopsy. 

I'm hoping to get the Template done in the next couple of months and then will know for certain if there actually is anything there.

I'm not concerned about whether not it's found or not, I really just want to know for sure.  

Edited by member 11 Apr 2024 at 13:39  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 11 Apr 2024 at 11:03

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
Went for a TP biopsy, 19 samples taken.  Whilst I was there the urologist showed me the scans and you could clearly see where the wall had been broken through by whatever was there.

2 weeks later and got the results back and there was no sign of any cancer in the samples taken.  There are still concerns so I was given the option of a Template Biopsy or wait.  I chose to go for the template and am now awaiting an appointment for the biopsy. 

Hi Sean,

Welcome to the forum mate. I'm sorry that you've had to find us but I'm glad you have.

Your biopsy results are great. Are they saying that you have a benign tumour that has just breached the capsule?

You obviously found no problems with your first biopsy, so I'd have another just to confirm the results of the first.

My first biopsy showed low grade/volume cancer, Gleason 6 (3+3). However, 18 months later a second biopsy showed extensive Gleason 8 (4+4) disease. which by this time had breached the prostate capsuIe. I had a prostatectomy, which upgraded it to Gleason 9 (4+5).  I wish I'd had an earlier follow up biopsy.

I'm still mystified as to the progression, learned folk on here tell me that it is unusual for your Gleason score to change. I think the urologists are trying to tell me that my cancer was always high risk but that the first biopsy missed the dangerous bits? 

I don't want to worry anyone by my tale, but it seems that biopsies are not infallible. I'd err on the side of caution and would never turn down the opportunity for a second one.

Best of luck mate. 

Edited by member 11 Apr 2024 at 11:14  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 11 Apr 2024 at 13:14
I think you have made the right choice regarding a second biopsy - hopefully it will be a benign growth. Your PSA is borderline for 51 and so it's a great time to double check what's going on. A second PSA test 3 months after the previous one would be worthwhile too to see if there are any changes.

If it is all positive for PCa then you are definitely at the right stages for curative treatment but fingers crossed it isn't :)

User
Posted 11 Apr 2024 at 13:15

HI, the tumour is looking to be benign one that has breached the capsule. The 19 samples didn't show any signs of cancer, not does it look to have spread.  There is something there though.

I've read that biopsies aren't infallable so I'm pushing to get the 2nd one done ASAP.

I'm not keen on the idea of watching and waiting.  If it's there then I'd like to know and get it removed.

Thanks

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 11 Apr 2024 at 11:03

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Hi Sean,

Welcome to the forum mate. I'm sorry that you've had to find us but I'm glad you have.

Your biopsy results are great. Are they saying that you have a benign tumour that has just breached the capsule?

You obviously found no problems with your first biopsy, so I'd have another just to confirm the results of the first.

My first biopsy showed low grade/volume cancer, Gleason 6 (3+3). However, 18 months later a second biopsy showed extensive Gleason 8 (4+4) disease. which by this time had breached the prostate capsuIe. I had a prostatectomy, which upgraded it to Gleason 9 (4+5).  I wish I'd had an earlier follow up biopsy.

I'm still mystified as to the progression, learned folk on here tell me that it is unusual for your Gleason score to change. I think the urologists are trying to tell me that my cancer was always high risk but that the first biopsy missed the dangerous bits? 

I don't want to worry anyone by my tale, but it seems that biopsies are not infallible. I'd err on the side of caution and would never turn down the opportunity for a second one.

Best of luck mate. 

Edited by member 11 Apr 2024 at 11:14  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 11 Apr 2024 at 13:14
I think you have made the right choice regarding a second biopsy - hopefully it will be a benign growth. Your PSA is borderline for 51 and so it's a great time to double check what's going on. A second PSA test 3 months after the previous one would be worthwhile too to see if there are any changes.

If it is all positive for PCa then you are definitely at the right stages for curative treatment but fingers crossed it isn't :)

User
Posted 11 Apr 2024 at 13:15

HI, the tumour is looking to be benign one that has breached the capsule. The 19 samples didn't show any signs of cancer, not does it look to have spread.  There is something there though.

I've read that biopsies aren't infallable so I'm pushing to get the 2nd one done ASAP.

I'm not keen on the idea of watching and waiting.  If it's there then I'd like to know and get it removed.

Thanks

User
Posted 12 Apr 2024 at 13:41

Bit of a quick update.

Had a phone call off the hospital today and I'm booked in for a template biopsy on the 8th of May. 

Really happy as that's a lot quicker than I was expecting!!

User
Posted 12 Apr 2024 at 14:10

Fantastic news mate. Ill be keeping my fingers crossed for you.