I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Incontinence - how long after RARP?

User
Posted 12 Apr 2024 at 15:16

Hi Guys.  A quick question for those who've had surgery.  Hubby had his RARP three weeks ago with the catheter removed after 7 days.  He is recovering well and his wounds are healing lovely but the incontinence is driving him mad.  He knows it is only early days and he is (and I am making sure he does) doing his PF exercises etc. on a regular basis.  From day one he has been dry at night and now doesn't even wear a pad but wakes up a couple of times during the night and uses the urinal bottle we bought if he can't get to the toilet in time.  He is finding that one day he can feel good, use the toilet when necessary and doesn't leak into the pad whereas another day he almost can't stop peeing and then uses 2 or 3 pads.  This is mostly when we have gone for a walk or when he is up and doing light stuff around the house to stop his boredom.  When he is sitting he hardly leaks onto the pad.  From reading this forum I keep telling him its normal and that it will take time but he is finding it very frustrating and excuse the pun is seriously p****d off with it all.  Please tell me this does improve over time. 😐

User
Posted 12 Apr 2024 at 18:15

Hi,

I was almost identical to your husband. I was immediately dry overnight yet inconsistently wet during the day. It started  to settle down about 3 months after the op and by 6/7  months I had complete control during the day.

My CNS stated on average it took most men about 6 months to be continent. However, on here I've seen a huge variation. Some seem to be dry within a week or two and others struggle for years.

I hope he recovers soon, I shared his frustration.

User
Posted 12 Apr 2024 at 20:06

What your hubby is experiencing sounds pretty typical in terms of the continence recovery experience. Sitting and lying horizontal generally don't cause leakage from early on. Things should gradually improve with the on your feet activities (getting up from seating, lifting, walking, sneezing, blowing your nose etc). If he is keeping up to the pelvic floor exercises that's great. A lot of us find the Squeezy App helpful to keep in the discipline. I was told to keep doing them for life. I'm now two and a bit years down the line. During the day I wear a Tena Shield to catch the odd dribble. Prolonged walking (for a few hours or more) has been more of an issue for me. I need a large pad when going for a hike. Some manage to get to 100% continence. A lot more like me get to 99%+ continence and while it's not perfect it doesn't stop me doing what I've always done. I wish him good luck with his recovery. Chris

User
Posted 12 Apr 2024 at 15:16

Hi Guys.  A quick question for those who've had surgery.  Hubby had his RARP three weeks ago with the catheter removed after 7 days.  He is recovering well and his wounds are healing lovely but the incontinence is driving him mad.  He knows it is only early days and he is (and I am making sure he does) doing his PF exercises etc. on a regular basis.  From day one he has been dry at night and now doesn't even wear a pad but wakes up a couple of times during the night and uses the urinal bottle we bought if he can't get to the toilet in time.  He is finding that one day he can feel good, use the toilet when necessary and doesn't leak into the pad whereas another day he almost can't stop peeing and then uses 2 or 3 pads.  This is mostly when we have gone for a walk or when he is up and doing light stuff around the house to stop his boredom.  When he is sitting he hardly leaks onto the pad.  From reading this forum I keep telling him its normal and that it will take time but he is finding it very frustrating and excuse the pun is seriously p****d off with it all.  Please tell me this does improve over time. 😐

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 12 Apr 2024 at 18:15

Hi,

I was almost identical to your husband. I was immediately dry overnight yet inconsistently wet during the day. It started  to settle down about 3 months after the op and by 6/7  months I had complete control during the day.

My CNS stated on average it took most men about 6 months to be continent. However, on here I've seen a huge variation. Some seem to be dry within a week or two and others struggle for years.

I hope he recovers soon, I shared his frustration.

User
Posted 12 Apr 2024 at 20:06

What your hubby is experiencing sounds pretty typical in terms of the continence recovery experience. Sitting and lying horizontal generally don't cause leakage from early on. Things should gradually improve with the on your feet activities (getting up from seating, lifting, walking, sneezing, blowing your nose etc). If he is keeping up to the pelvic floor exercises that's great. A lot of us find the Squeezy App helpful to keep in the discipline. I was told to keep doing them for life. I'm now two and a bit years down the line. During the day I wear a Tena Shield to catch the odd dribble. Prolonged walking (for a few hours or more) has been more of an issue for me. I need a large pad when going for a hike. Some manage to get to 100% continence. A lot more like me get to 99%+ continence and while it's not perfect it doesn't stop me doing what I've always done. I wish him good luck with his recovery. Chris