Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Post RP PSA test

User
Posted 13 Apr 2024 at 15:59

Hello, a question on PSA tests after a prostatectomy: 

Before the surgery we're advised to stop certain activities for 48 hours before a PSA test - exercise, sexual activity etc. 

I have a post surgery PSA test coming up but there was nothing about what to do, or not to do leading up to it. 

Does anyone know if this is because it doesn't make a difference following surgery? 

Thank you 

User
Posted 13 Apr 2024 at 18:20

Hi. Now that you no longer have a prostate, all of those must not do activities come out of the equation. The only thing that would be still producing PSA would be prostate cancer if there is still some left in there. Hopefully the PSA result will come back undetectable and you can breath a sigh of relief. Good luck.

User
Posted 13 Apr 2024 at 19:12

C365, , I had some fluctuating PSA results over the last ten years. Nobody, including numerous medical staff can give an explanation. I used to go to the hospital or our regional health centre for my tests, as part of a trial the bloods were tested within minutes, early morning bloods taken at the regional centre could be a few hours before being tested.

I now have a routine before my PSA tests. I have my bloods taken at a regional health centre at roughly 12 noon. The bloods then get taken to the hospital lab for testing. 

I don't really know if it makes a difference. In simple terms I just do the same thing before each test. 

Don't worry about the tests it doesn't alter the result.

Hope all works out well for you.

Thanks Chris 

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 13 Apr 2024 at 18:20

Hi. Now that you no longer have a prostate, all of those must not do activities come out of the equation. The only thing that would be still producing PSA would be prostate cancer if there is still some left in there. Hopefully the PSA result will come back undetectable and you can breath a sigh of relief. Good luck.

User
Posted 13 Apr 2024 at 19:12

C365, , I had some fluctuating PSA results over the last ten years. Nobody, including numerous medical staff can give an explanation. I used to go to the hospital or our regional health centre for my tests, as part of a trial the bloods were tested within minutes, early morning bloods taken at the regional centre could be a few hours before being tested.

I now have a routine before my PSA tests. I have my bloods taken at a regional health centre at roughly 12 noon. The bloods then get taken to the hospital lab for testing. 

I don't really know if it makes a difference. In simple terms I just do the same thing before each test. 

Don't worry about the tests it doesn't alter the result.

Hope all works out well for you.

Thanks Chris