Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Advice Prostatitis or Cancer

User
Posted 14 Apr 2024 at 17:47

Hi everyone 

just signed up and am worried about symptoms. 
I am 67 years old. This time last year I developed what the doctor said was prostatitis. I had an ache in perinium and a feeling of heaviness in back passage and burning when having a pee and chills. The doctor examined my prostate and said if felt normal. My PSA was normal. I was treated with antibiotics for six weeks which cleared the problem. 
About 3weeks ago I felt heaviness in my back passage  an ache in perinium and my flow of urine has become weaker. But this didn’t feel the same as last time. It didn’t burn when I peed and no chills. Initially it felt like something was stuck in my back passage but that feeling went after a couple of days but the pain has gradually got worse. I’ve had some blood work done and my PSA is 1.6 my testosterone level is low and suspected hypogonadism. I am hopefully seeing the doctor tomorrow as I still have a sharp constant pain in my prostate and urine flow is weak. I have no urgency to pee and no burning. I am getting up to pee maybe one a night if that. Can anyone shed any light on this. I am concerned because this doesn’t feel like the prostatitis I had last year. 
Thanks. 

User
Posted 15 Apr 2024 at 11:00

Hey Mad

It sounds like you're understandably concerned about the symptoms you're experiencing. It's great that you're proactive about seeking medical advice, and I hope your appointment with the doctor went well. While I'm not a medical professional, I can offer some general insight.

The symptoms you described, including the heaviness in your back passage, ache in the perineum, weak urine flow, and sharp constant pain in your prostate, could potentially indicate a variety of issues, including prostatitis or other conditions related to the prostate gland. Did you get a chance to speak with your doctor? What did they say about your symptoms?

User
Posted 15 Apr 2024 at 12:27

David, this is your third post on this forum. I know on your second post you denied being an AI bot, but you have a style of writing which is most unusual.

Have you ever considered a job impersonating AI chat bots?

p.s. nothing wrong with your post on this thread: it was perfect. even the grammar and punctuation was spot on.

Dave

User
Posted 17 Apr 2024 at 14:41

I don’t know if your comment was for me or the previous reply to my query. 
However I have seen Doctor today I was examined and everything appears in order. My symptoms had subsided quite a bit before I saw doctor so hopefully all fine now. 
Thanks 

User
Posted 17 Apr 2024 at 14:43

Thanks for replying to me. Saw doctor today everything appears in order. My symptom's had diminished quite a bit before I saw GP 

Thanks again. 

User
Posted 17 Apr 2024 at 14:59

Hi Frank, My comment was aimed at David Roberts. We have started getting AI bots posting on the forum, and I suspect David Roberts is just a computer program. 

Anyway, I'm glad that your symptoms have subsided and things appear to be in order. All men will eventually get prostate cancer, but for most it will be slow growing and never become a problem, so now you are in your 60s having a PSA test every year or two will show if your PSA starts a slow upward trend.

P.s. I'm not an AI bot. 

Dave

User
Posted 17 Apr 2024 at 18:59

Or David Roberts could be both - a human that uses AI bot to write his posts 🤓

I'm a human, paranoid too, with slightly elevated PSA for my 49-years of age; ie, my total PSA 1.36, but a PSA of 1.6 at the age of 67 is impressively very normal 😅

Later,

Omar 

Edited by member 17 Apr 2024 at 19:01  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 21 Apr 2024 at 10:23

Hi Omar, new here too so not able to answer private messages yet. In my view your small PSA variations WELL WITHIN the normal range for your age shouldn’t indicate significant prostate cancer. Even if you had an early grade small cancer it is debatable whether any treatment is needed. Consider that a quarter of men in their forties have a small focus of prostate cancer that may never become a clinical concern in their lifetimes. This data was shown from autopsies of men who died in traffic accidents! if I were you, I’d consider annual PSA testing to put your mind at rest. 
andy

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4485977/

User
Posted 21 Apr 2024 at 13:00

Your symptoms are more consistent with prostatitis than prostate cancer.

Prostatitis is mostly not bacterial, although the fact yours went and didn't come back after a course of antibiotics suggests it might have been.

However, I think I would ask for a referral to urology given it's happened again, and they might consider doing an MRI scan, and better investigate the cause.

Prostate cancer usually has no symptoms, although of course it can coexist with prostatitis or enlarged prostate.