I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Took a while

User
Posted 14 Apr 2024 at 19:04

I'm 60 now, but in early 50s several visits to GP,  finger diag of enlarged prostate,  Tamsulosin prescribed.  It took years of going GP to finally get sent for MRI...too long really,  but thankfully early stage 2 and 4 weeks radiotherapy is imminent. 

I felt my GP was just repeating my Tamsulosin with no reviews 😕...good job I kept at it to get looked at properly.  

Anyway,  my 4 weeks treatment starts soon, and thankfully it was caught early.  I did sign a petition to get screening done for all over 50s. 

Thanks 👍 

User
Posted 15 Apr 2024 at 11:57

Hi and welcome, Metty.  It was indeed a good job you kept badgering for further investigations.  

Good luck with the radiotherapy, I found the biggest problem with it was having to travel to the hospital more or less daily for 4 weeks.  The RT itself was easily managed.  You'll probably find you feel a bit fatigued towards the end of the treatment cycle, that's normal.

Keep us posted on your progress.

User
Posted 15 Apr 2024 at 12:15

Hi Metty,

Yes, all the best for your treatment. You’ll find the staff wonderful and so understanding, so don’t worry about it. Like Craig RT for me was a breeze….I too had 20 sessions, never really got fatigued and kind of looked forward to meeting the other guys in the waiting room each day and exchanging stories. The last session was quite emotional but I was disappointed that the Western in Edinburgh didn’t have a bell to ring😟

a couple of bits of advice

1. If you’ve got a car journey home, buy yourself a pee bottle and take it in the car along with a towel(to hide your bits🤣) and some wipes, just in case you need to stop and there’s no toilet nearby. I only had  to use it once on the 30 min drive home.

2. Get yourself into a routine with your eating and drinking…hopefully your appointments will be roughly at the same time as that allows your system to get use to the preparation of enemas and fluid intake, whatever they ask you to do(it varies)

3. Take something with you to read or occupy your mind whilst waiting to be called…it takes your mind of needing to pee. If you’re struggling to hold on, tell someone and they might say just to let out a bit to make you comfortable.

4. I wore elastic shorts or jogging bottoms….it just Kate things easier and quicker after the session as you might be desperate for a pee. find out where ALL the toilets are in the building in case. I would also take a spare Pate of trouser and underwear’s just sun case.

Good luck!

Derek