I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Extra Capsular extension

User
Posted 16 Apr 2024 at 09:44

HI, I've had a biopsy done and that all came back as negative.  The MRi showed a broken capsule and had a score of 5.

The hospital gave me the choice of waiting or have a template biopsy.  I chose the biopsy and went to see consultant.

Recieved a letter today that mentions "Extra Capsular Extension", the guy I spoke to made no mention of this. 

What exactly does this mean?

I have the template biopsy scheduled for the 8th of May and it couldn't come soon enough!!!

User
Posted 16 Apr 2024 at 13:25

Hello mate. Extra prostatic extension means that the tumour has breached the prostate capsule. After my op the prostate biopsy showed I had EPE. In my case being Gleason 9 (4+5) it wasn't good news, increasing the cancer staging to T3a and apparently increasing the chance of BCR. Touchwood, a year on, my PSA is still undetectable. 

You say your biopsy came back negative. So I'm assuming your tumour is benign?

I hope your next biopsy is the same as your first. Good luck.

User
Posted 20 Apr 2024 at 11:02

I was T3b with positive margins, extra capsular extension and Gleason 9.  Prostatectomy, radiotherapy and hormone therapy. Almost 8 years later and my PSA is undetectable.  There is hope.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 16 Apr 2024 at 13:25

Hello mate. Extra prostatic extension means that the tumour has breached the prostate capsule. After my op the prostate biopsy showed I had EPE. In my case being Gleason 9 (4+5) it wasn't good news, increasing the cancer staging to T3a and apparently increasing the chance of BCR. Touchwood, a year on, my PSA is still undetectable. 

You say your biopsy came back negative. So I'm assuming your tumour is benign?

I hope your next biopsy is the same as your first. Good luck.

User
Posted 16 Apr 2024 at 14:42
Broken capsule and extra prostatic extension are different ways of saying the same thing.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 20 Apr 2024 at 11:02

I was T3b with positive margins, extra capsular extension and Gleason 9.  Prostatectomy, radiotherapy and hormone therapy. Almost 8 years later and my PSA is undetectable.  There is hope.

User
Posted 24 Apr 2024 at 13:08

Thanks all, I was just a bit confuzzled by the terms.

My Template biopsy has been brought forward to the 1st of May so will know for sure by the 14th of May.