Show search

Notification

Error

Neutrophil levels Pre-Chemotherapy

User
Posted 16 Apr 2024 at 22:18

Hi Guys

Just after some advice.

I am currently on Docetaxel Chemotherapy due for my fourth cycle of ten this week.

First two cycles went without incident.

Last (third) cycle, my Neutrophil level was 1.38 from my pre-chemo blood test. Two days later it was up to 4.46.

I put this down to a busy weekend pre blood test.

Today my neutrophil level was 0.9, so I have to go for another blood test in a couple of days the day before my chemotherapy and see if the levels have risen.

Just wondering if anyone had any advice or tips on how to counter this?

Has anyone ever missed treatment due to this?

User
Posted 17 Apr 2024 at 00:13
We have had members who needed blood transfusions as a result of concerns about their neutrophil count, and I can think of one person who had to stop chemo because of neutropenia - but I have been a member here for 14 years so it is rare!
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 17 Apr 2024 at 13:46
Is there any reason why they don't prescribe filgrastim ( stimulates neutrophil production) a few days before or after infusion? ( as long as its not within the 24hr period pre or post infusion).

They do this in similar situation (neutropenia) when undergoing chemotherapy for other cancers.

User
Posted 17 Apr 2024 at 18:26

I suspect you’ll be given filgrastim injections now you have shown you’ve had neutropenia. If not, ask for it. It’s oncologist dependant. 
I read above about blood transfusions but these are for low red cells or platelets. You can’t transfuse white cells. It’s ok if you have to have a week’s delay for low white cells. 

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 17 Apr 2024 at 00:13
We have had members who needed blood transfusions as a result of concerns about their neutrophil count, and I can think of one person who had to stop chemo because of neutropenia - but I have been a member here for 14 years so it is rare!
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 17 Apr 2024 at 13:46
Is there any reason why they don't prescribe filgrastim ( stimulates neutrophil production) a few days before or after infusion? ( as long as its not within the 24hr period pre or post infusion).

They do this in similar situation (neutropenia) when undergoing chemotherapy for other cancers.

User
Posted 17 Apr 2024 at 18:26

I suspect you’ll be given filgrastim injections now you have shown you’ve had neutropenia. If not, ask for it. It’s oncologist dependant. 
I read above about blood transfusions but these are for low red cells or platelets. You can’t transfuse white cells. It’s ok if you have to have a week’s delay for low white cells. 

User
Posted 17 Apr 2024 at 21:46

Thanks Guys, Yes I have Filgrastim injections for ten days after treatment. No doubt someone will speak to me about this. Thanks again 😊

User
Posted 19 Apr 2024 at 22:26

Quick update: My neutrophil level was up to 6.35 from yesterday's blood test compared to  0.9 from test on Tuesday. So I have been advised to take the test the day before my treatment next time, to give more time for the levels to recover.

So treatment went ahead today....😊