I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Oestrogen

User
Posted 20 Apr 2024 at 13:58

Reading the US version of  this community, I note some interest in the application of oestrogen patches to relieve side effects of treatment, especially fatigue and hot flushes. An y thoughts on this? It would be nice to regain lost energy but obviously would not wish risking negative impacts.

User
Posted 23 Apr 2024 at 07:56

Thanks for putting it all together in your profile Liz.

At the time Geoff last had scans it seems that his cancer had not spread [despite a scary false alarm]. Now, with his psa at .39 there's clearly  a problem but it's not clear what and where that "problem" is doing its thing.

I hope you're able to forge a connection with your GP and an oncologist to get some decent scans and at least be aware of exactly what you're up against. I would guess that the recommendation is going to be ADT and RT and you or Geoff might not be willing to go down that path. He might be able to have RT of some form without HT though.

You're in a horrible position as a carer and I suspect that might be harder than being the "patient" in many ways.

I don't understand your trenchant opposition to HT and RT. As someone who's gone through it [at age 76] it wasn't pleasant but it's possible to make a complete recovery from that double act and amongst the many challenges that life throws at us, this one is different  but the same as others in that it still takes the same sort of strength to get through as any other crisis does.

You're here on a forum dedicated to taking on prostate cancer and you've stuck with it despite the fact that your ideas aren't well received. I hope you and Geoff will come out the other side of this, the way many others have here.

I'm keeping well πŸ˜€, thanks for asking.

Jules

User
Posted 21 Apr 2024 at 08:50

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

l will leave a link to a video of  the late, great Dr sniffy Myers to speak of the incredible benefits of estrogen to treat prostate cancer.

I think you mean Dr 'snuffy' Myles. 'Sniffy' Myles was a gynaecologist.

πŸ˜‰ x.

Edited by member 21 Apr 2024 at 09:14  | Reason: Additional text

User
Posted 21 Apr 2024 at 12:27

US is waiting for the results of the UK PATCH trials we in UK are waiting but they are dragging their heals and have put it on hold 

https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/find-a-clinical-trial/a-trial-looking-at-hormone-patches-for-prostate-cancer

That was put there at the beginning of COVID when they couldn't recruit anymore, but they already had enough recruits to provide sufficient data, so the data collection and analysis has continued.

The trial showed better (fewer) symptoms than the LHRH hormone therapy medications.

Their definition of castrate level was quite high at 1.7nmol/L, although I don't know what levels they actually achieved. There is no official or universally accepted castrate level, and values between 0.7nmol/L and 1.7nmol/L are used by different researchers/projects. The LHRH hormone therapy medications aim for no more than 1.2nmol/L, and often achieve 0.7nmol/L or lower (mine varied between 0.2nmol/L and 0.4nmol/L). Other trials have shown these low levels are more effective, certainly for metastatic patients.

Up to now, the PATCH trial has reported on the ability to control Testosterone levels, and the side effects, but not on the control of the cancer itself - it takes longer before you can report on that outcome. The Phase III extension of the PATCH trial will report on how the Estradiol patches actually controlled the cancer compared to the LHRH medications, i.e. recurrence for locally advanced patients, and overall survival for metastatic patients. Given the high level they've defined for castrate level, those results could be different than for the LHRH hormone therapies, particularly for patients not also on a novel hormone therapy tablet too (Abiraterone, Enzalutamide, Daralutamide, Apalutamide). It will be very interesting to see the results.

Edited by member 21 Apr 2024 at 12:36  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 21 Apr 2024 at 16:28

Right so you made  that bit up about a gyno being called Sniffy 

Hahaha funny (not)

I'm sorry. πŸ™

Edited by member 21 Apr 2024 at 17:48  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 21 Apr 2024 at 19:09

Hahaha funny (not)

I'm sorry. πŸ™

Nay bother Adrian 😐

It was open to some sort of misinterpretation I guess 

I was laughing my head off actually 

User
Posted 22 Apr 2024 at 00:33

For anyone interested in the facts, Stilboestrol (a long-established treatment for PCa which is still approved in the UK although less popular with patients these days) completely kills the libido.

Edited by member 22 Apr 2024 at 00:34  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 22 Apr 2024 at 02:35

a link to a video of the late, great Dr sniffy Myers to speak of the incredible benefits of estrogen to treat prostate cancer instead

Liz, the video you have linked to does not support the use of estrogen patches alone to "treat" prostate cancer. Myers is clear that he's using the patches as well as ADT. The reason he uses the patches, is that without testosterone men can't make estrogen. Hence he used the patches to counter the lack of estrogen. The benefits* he espouses for the patches are that they reduce hot flushes, stop the decline of bone density and might help with brain fog. Myers backs Andy's view that monitoring is vital when using estrogen. [This is not the same as the PATCH trial]

There is nothing in Myer's video to suggest that the patients he treated with HT plus estrogen patches retained their libido. If your husband still has a high libido, he still has testosterone and if he has to deal with recurrence that means he has to lower his testosterone and psa as a starting point.

You completely misunderstand and misinterpret the ncbi paper you provided a link to.

You still haven't put up a profile for your husband. I seem to remember he's due for a psa test soon. What are his plans if his psa is still high indicating recurrence and treatment beyond your patches is recommended?

Jules

* which links back to Cayambe's post. I wonder if it would help with sleep, which in turn is good for the brain in both the short and long term

Edited by member 22 Apr 2024 at 07:35  | Reason: Not specified

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 20 Apr 2024 at 22:52

We had a fairly ‘interesting’ discussion about this on this thread…

https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t30275-Changing-ADT-mid-treatment#post292235

User
Posted 21 Apr 2024 at 08:25

There is no way big pharma is gonna allow men to have estrogen patches for prostate cancer 

US is waiting for the results of the UK PATCH trials we in UK are waiting but they are dragging their heals and have put it on hold 

https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/find-a-clinical-trial/a-trial-looking-at-hormone-patches-for-prostate-cancer

I am bullied on this site and treated like a pariah for advocating estrogen so l will leave a link to a video of  the late, great Dr sniffy Myers to speak of the incredible benefits of estrogen to treat prostate cancer  instead 

https://www.google.com/search?client=ms-android-samsung&sca_esv=de3b8b35270c999b&sxsrf=ACQVn099nHaK78yaHSZNAEdfBIcy4EhvcQ:1707861894201&q=transdermal+estrogen+adt+prostate+cancer&tbm=vid&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjPsZ2sqamEAxVAREEAHaz2BaYQ0pQJegQICBAB&biw=360&bih=560&dpr=4#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:80ede9ad,vid:KBpg_SE0Odo,st:0

Edited by member 21 Apr 2024 at 10:47  | Reason: Typo

User
Posted 21 Apr 2024 at 08:50

l will leave a link to a video of  the late, great Dr sniffy Myers to speak of the incredible benefits of estrogen to treat prostate cancer.

πŸ˜‰ x.

Edited by member 21 Apr 2024 at 09:14  | Reason: Additional text

User
Posted 21 Apr 2024 at 10:04

πŸ˜‰ x.

Hi Adrian 

Yes I meant Snuffy but I am correct with Myers😊

I was heading for his Wikipedia page but this came up 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Beating-Prostate-Cancer-Hormonal-Therapy/dp/0967612926

Edited by member 21 Apr 2024 at 10:06  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 21 Apr 2024 at 10:51

I know who you meant. πŸ‘ I just couldn't resist the funny typo. I'm rubbish at typing especially on a mobile. I have to edit nearly all of my posts because of typos.

User
Posted 21 Apr 2024 at 11:58

I know who you meant. πŸ‘ I just couldn't resist the funny typo. I'm rubbish at typing especially on a mobile. I have to edit nearly all of my posts because of typos.

Hahaha funny (not)

Edited by member 21 Apr 2024 at 12:17  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 21 Apr 2024 at 12:27

That was put there at the beginning of COVID when they couldn't recruit anymore, but they already had enough recruits to provide sufficient data, so the data collection and analysis has continued.

The trial showed better (fewer) symptoms than the LHRH hormone therapy medications.

Their definition of castrate level was quite high at 1.7nmol/L, although I don't know what levels they actually achieved. There is no official or universally accepted castrate level, and values between 0.7nmol/L and 1.7nmol/L are used by different researchers/projects. The LHRH hormone therapy medications aim for no more than 1.2nmol/L, and often achieve 0.7nmol/L or lower (mine varied between 0.2nmol/L and 0.4nmol/L). Other trials have shown these low levels are more effective, certainly for metastatic patients.

Up to now, the PATCH trial has reported on the ability to control Testosterone levels, and the side effects, but not on the control of the cancer itself - it takes longer before you can report on that outcome. The Phase III extension of the PATCH trial will report on how the Estradiol patches actually controlled the cancer compared to the LHRH medications, i.e. recurrence for locally advanced patients, and overall survival for metastatic patients. Given the high level they've defined for castrate level, those results could be different than for the LHRH hormone therapies, particularly for patients not also on a novel hormone therapy tablet too (Abiraterone, Enzalutamide, Daralutamide, Apalutamide). It will be very interesting to see the results.

Edited by member 21 Apr 2024 at 12:36  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 21 Apr 2024 at 12:52

Hi 

It may well be from a few years ago but it is still  the latest news / update and they promised that come Spring 2024 they will have results for us ?

This treatment could save men  like Deco from arthritis it can stop men dying of heart attacks and strokes men can still have a sex life and be without brain fog ?

Edited by member 21 Apr 2024 at 12:59  | Reason: Add more info

User
Posted 21 Apr 2024 at 13:27

Unfortunately, Estradiol didn't help men with having a sex life, because that's down to loss of Testosterone.
Yes, brain fog can be caused by lack of Estrogens, but it's also caused by anti-androgen drugs (such as being on Bicalutamide alone) which raise Testosterone and Estrogen levels, so that one's not a simple relationship with Estrogens alone.

Cancer outcome results for locally advanced patients are due sometime around now.
Cancer outcome results for metastatic patients are expected next year.

If the results are favourable, it will still required NICE to evaluate the costings, and I have previously mentioned some possible challenges in this area even though the Estradiol drug itself is cheaper - it's likely patients on patches will need much more monitoring and adjustment of dosing.

I think a more viable way to tackle this is with using the standard LHRH hormone therapy medications, but adding a low dose Estradiol patch to make up for the missing Estrogens. That way, the Estradiol dosing is not critical to your life saving/preserving/extending treatment, but just to improving the side effect profile, and then the monitoring of it isn't critical any more. Also you can take Tamoxifen to prevent breast gland growth, which you can't if you're on Estradiol patches as your hormone therapy.

Edited by member 21 Apr 2024 at 13:47  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 21 Apr 2024 at 14:10

Hi 

It may well be from a few years ago but it is still  the latest news / update and they promised that come Spring 2024 they will have results for us ?

This treatment could save men  like Deco from arthritis it can stop men dying of heart attacks and strokes men can still have a sex life and be without brain fog ?

Hi,

Just a wee update…my GP and my Physiotherapist both reckon I don’t have arthritis and I am waiting on the result of an X-ray I had on Thursday. They both manipulated my legs in various ways and when I didn’t scream with the ‘arthritis move’😊 My GP has diagnosed me with Hip Bursitis and the feeling is this has been brought on by muscle loss around the glutes. I have been doing specific exercise to strengthen my glutes and can feel a difference already.
This HT therapy though seems to work in cycles….as you know a few months ago I could hardly get off a chair and getting up from the floor was a nightmare. This was getting steady better before I started the glutes exercises and now, it’s no bother, what’s THAT all about?

User
Posted 21 Apr 2024 at 16:28

Hahaha funny (not)

I'm sorry. πŸ™

Edited by member 21 Apr 2024 at 17:48  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 21 Apr 2024 at 18:46

Hi 

Hi,

Just a wee update…my GP and my Physiotherapist both reckon I don’t have arthritis and I am waiting on the result of an X-ray I had on Thursday. They both manipulated my legs in various ways and when I didn’t scream with the ‘arthritis move’😊 My GP has diagnosed me with Hip Bursitis and the feeling is this has been brought on by muscle loss around the glutes. I have been doing specific exercise to strengthen my glutes and can feel a difference already.
This HT therapy though seems to work in cycles….as you know a few months ago I could hardly get off a chair and getting up from the floor was a nightmare. This was getting steady better before I started the glutes exercises and now, it’s no bother, what’s THAT all about?

Hi Decho 

I get arthritis if I don't have  my aguaje -  a phytoestrogen  - that treats my arthritis 

But it never affects my knees - bc I cycle every day 

So exercise prevents arthritis - or rather the joints that you exercise most are least affected 

Hope that makes sense 

User
Posted 21 Apr 2024 at 19:09

Hahaha funny (not)

I'm sorry. πŸ™

Nay bother Adrian 😐

It was open to some sort of misinterpretation I guess 

I was laughing my head off actually 

User
Posted 21 Apr 2024 at 19:53

Unfortunately, Estradiol didn't help men with having a sex life, because that's down to loss of Testosterone.
Yes, brain fog can be caused by lack of Estrogens, but it's also caused by anti-androgen drugs (such as being on Bicalutamide alone) which raise Testosterone and Estrogen levels, so that one's not a simple relationship with Estrogens alone.

Cancer outcome results for locally advanced patients are due sometime around now.
Cancer outcome results for metastatic patients are expected next year.

If the results are favourable, it will still required NICE to evaluate the costings, and I have previously mentioned some possible challenges in this area even though the Estradiol drug itself is cheaper - it's likely patients on patches will need much more monitoring and adjustment of dosing.

I think a more viable way to tackle this is with using the standard LHRH hormone therapy medications, but adding a low dose Estradiol patch to make up for the missing Estrogens. That way, the Estradiol dosing is not critical to your life saving/preserving/extending treatment, but just to improving the side effect profile, and then the monitoring of it isn't critical any more. Also you can take Tamoxifen to prevent breast gland growth, which you can't if you're on Estradiol patches as your hormone therapy.

Hi Andy 

Dr Myers himself  said that estrogen patches didnt diminish libido in men I can attest to this  bc the potent phytoestrogen my husband is taking has if anything enhanced his libido 

Estrogen castrates men and this was the given procedure as you well know before the new ADT  treatments such as Astra Zenica's  Zoladex was  rolled out

You suggest that estrogen should be an add on to ADT but I think transdermal estrogen patches should be an option in itself 

User
Posted 21 Apr 2024 at 20:04

Myers wasn't using estrogen as the hormone therapy.

In the PATCH trial, the patches are the hormone therapy used at a level to switch off Testosterone, so no libido because no Testosterone.

Your husband isn't on hormone therapy because you denied him the treatment.

User
Posted 21 Apr 2024 at 21:15

Estrogen can chemically castrate a man yet it doesn't diminish libido 

Just as testosterone increases female libido 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4854098/#:~:text=Traditionally%2C%20testosterone%20and%20estrogen%20have,%2C%20erectile%20function%2C%20and%20spermatogenesis.

User
Posted 22 Apr 2024 at 00:33

For anyone interested in the facts, Stilboestrol (a long-established treatment for PCa which is still approved in the UK although less popular with patients these days) completely kills the libido.

Edited by member 22 Apr 2024 at 00:34  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 22 Apr 2024 at 02:35

a link to a video of the late, great Dr sniffy Myers to speak of the incredible benefits of estrogen to treat prostate cancer instead

Liz, the video you have linked to does not support the use of estrogen patches alone to "treat" prostate cancer. Myers is clear that he's using the patches as well as ADT. The reason he uses the patches, is that without testosterone men can't make estrogen. Hence he used the patches to counter the lack of estrogen. The benefits* he espouses for the patches are that they reduce hot flushes, stop the decline of bone density and might help with brain fog. Myers backs Andy's view that monitoring is vital when using estrogen. [This is not the same as the PATCH trial]

There is nothing in Myer's video to suggest that the patients he treated with HT plus estrogen patches retained their libido. If your husband still has a high libido, he still has testosterone and if he has to deal with recurrence that means he has to lower his testosterone and psa as a starting point.

You completely misunderstand and misinterpret the ncbi paper you provided a link to.

You still haven't put up a profile for your husband. I seem to remember he's due for a psa test soon. What are his plans if his psa is still high indicating recurrence and treatment beyond your patches is recommended?

Jules

* which links back to Cayambe's post. I wonder if it would help with sleep, which in turn is good for the brain in both the short and long term

Edited by member 22 Apr 2024 at 07:35  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 22 Apr 2024 at 19:05

Jules

Hi Jules 

I have updated profile although  I think I made a mistake of saying pelvic bed  rather than prostate bed 

Thank you for taking an interest 

hope you are keeping well 

Liz

Edited by member 22 Apr 2024 at 20:50  | Reason: Typo

User
Posted 23 Apr 2024 at 07:56

Thanks for putting it all together in your profile Liz.

At the time Geoff last had scans it seems that his cancer had not spread [despite a scary false alarm]. Now, with his psa at .39 there's clearly  a problem but it's not clear what and where that "problem" is doing its thing.

I hope you're able to forge a connection with your GP and an oncologist to get some decent scans and at least be aware of exactly what you're up against. I would guess that the recommendation is going to be ADT and RT and you or Geoff might not be willing to go down that path. He might be able to have RT of some form without HT though.

You're in a horrible position as a carer and I suspect that might be harder than being the "patient" in many ways.

I don't understand your trenchant opposition to HT and RT. As someone who's gone through it [at age 76] it wasn't pleasant but it's possible to make a complete recovery from that double act and amongst the many challenges that life throws at us, this one is different  but the same as others in that it still takes the same sort of strength to get through as any other crisis does.

You're here on a forum dedicated to taking on prostate cancer and you've stuck with it despite the fact that your ideas aren't well received. I hope you and Geoff will come out the other side of this, the way many others have here.

I'm keeping well πŸ˜€, thanks for asking.

Jules