I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Double Voiding

User
Posted 21 Apr 2024 at 14:17

Most of the symptoms I had when diagnosed with PCa have subsided. I didn’t have many but frequency of peeing during the day and night and urgency are SO much better. The one thing that remains with me however is nighttime double voiding. I normally get up twice a night, and if I have been n a deep sleep, when I go for a pee, it’s a dribble. I go back to my bed and a few minutes later I feel a need to get up and pee again, and this time the flow is much better. It’s really quite annoying as the second trip often wakens me up and it can be difficult to get back to sleep.

Anyone else experienced this and found a solution?

Thanks,

Derek

Edited by member 21 Apr 2024 at 20:06  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 22 Apr 2024 at 01:39

No but I have it the other way round. I have my main pee which is pretty normal but understandably not as strong as a young man would experience. I then go back to bed and very shortly need to pee again. It also sometimes happends during the day. The second voiding is less strong and produces about a fifth of a cup amount of furine. I know that in my case this is due to having one or more pouches that don't initially empty.in my bladder. They call this a Bladder Diverticulum. Don't know if this is your problem but I haven't heard it in your order, athough possible maybe.

Edited by member 22 Apr 2024 at 01:43  | Reason: Not specified

Barry
User
Posted 22 Apr 2024 at 07:54

What you describe applies to everyone to some extent - you pee slower when you've just been asleep. This is because the part of the autonomous nervous system which controls the urinary sphincter takes longer to wake up than your conscious nervous system, so it's still asleep if you just woke to pee. Also, if you pee slowly, you are less likely to empty you bladder.

The other thing is the urinary symptoms you had before diagnosis were probably nothing to do with the cancer, but due to enlarged prostate. Hormone therapy and radiotherapy will shrink the prostate alleviating the symptoms, but they may well return after treatment if you still have your prostate. For this, a drug like Tamsulosin taken with the last meal of the day (so it's active overnight) might be effective - talk with your GP or hospital.

Edited by member 22 Apr 2024 at 07:55  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 22 Apr 2024 at 14:27

Thanks as always Andy, I did try Tamsulosin when I was first diagnosed but it really made me dizzy, so I stopped. Maybe there’s an alternative?

Derek

User
Posted 22 Apr 2024 at 20:19

Yes, it's the most popular Alpha-blocker, but there are others, such as Doxazosin and Alfuzosin. Alfuzosin probably has least effect on blood pressure, but they do all lower it and might therefore require any blood pressure medication to be reduced or the time taking the medications to be changed so as to not coincide. That's a conversation to have with your doctor.

Other options can be Finasteride or Dutasteride to shrink the prostate which are half-way hormone therapy medications, or 5mg daily low dose Tadalafil. These all take months to work, whereas the Alpha-blockers will work the day you start taking them. Finasteride and Dutasteride will halve your PSA readings without reducing your cancer risk, so you have to remember to double all your PSA readings while on these. (Tadalafil doesn't do that.)