I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

What should happen?

User
Posted 22 Apr 2024 at 16:21

Hi everyone.  My first post and all that.  I'm 62, and after all the recent hype about prostate cancer, I thought it best to contact my GP about getting a PSA test.  He did that and a finger test.  The finger test shows that my prostate is enlarged.  The PSA test was normal.

Reading about the PSA, I believe that it misses 1 in 7 cancers, so that test is by no means conclusive.  My GP's comment then that nothing further was required seemed strange to me.  Is he right or should regular monitoring now be taking place?  

The GP did say that if I had symptoms I should contact him, but the symptoms are so vague it is difficult to know if they are due to the prostate or not.  I mean, yes, I go to the loo more at 62 than I ever did at 25, unless I was on a serious session of course!  I have been in a few motorcycle accidents in my youth, and had asked the doc about my right hip last year.  Recently, I have noticed an occasional sharp pain in my back, (right side a little below waist level) than happens when I am preparing food on our work top.  I put this down to making it to something approaching old age.  Lastly, I pretty much constantly have a feeling around the coccyx, like I have been sitting on a hard seat for too long.  All these seem too little to be worried about.....unless someone out there tells me different?

Edited by member 22 Apr 2024 at 16:54  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 22 Apr 2024 at 17:21

Hi mate.

Welcome to the forum. 

You've done the right thing and got yourself checked out.

I'm not medically qualified but an enlarged prostate can be caused by many non cancerous conditions. PSA is only an indicator of cancer,  however yours is low enough not to warrant further investigation. Your aches and pains are unlikely to have anything to do with your prostate. 

Personally, I'd be satisfied with your GP's actions.

User
Posted 22 Apr 2024 at 19:09
Hi

I agree with Adrian - your GP has done the right things and at this stage you do not have prostate cancer - but at 62 you should have a PSA test every year just to keep an eye on it.

There are very few symptoms with PCa - slow flow and difficulty urinating can be an indication but they could also be just an enlarged prostate - so it's a case of keeping up with the PSA tests.
User
Posted 22 Apr 2024 at 21:11

Don't go the way I did!

6 years ago at 54 I went to the doctor's because of reduced urine flow and more urinating at night. The doctor did a PSA test and DRE (still haven't got over that!) The PSA came back at 1.34 and the DRE didn't uncover anything.

Don't worry said the doctor, it's your age. Come back if anything gets worse.

Roll on 4 years and I stated getting pains in my side and abdomen. Saw the doctor and they did. Stool test. Whilst waiting for the results, the pain got so bad I wondered if my appendix was about to burst! Off to A &E I went and they did a CT scan. The A&E doctor came in looking very sheepish and said she couldn't confirm this as she wasn't an oncologist/urologist but to her it looked like I had prostate cancer that had metastasized in several sites.  This was all confirmed 3 weeks later - advanced incurable prostate cancer with an average prognosis of 2 to 5 years 

So my advice is, you have had a warning. The NHS will probably not come back every year to check progress. You should make a point of regularly checking your condition now with PSA tests. It only took me 4 years between, "Don't worry," to "Incurable!" Just forgetting it could be life shortening!

User
Posted 22 Apr 2024 at 23:53

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
  Reading your initial post, you're getting pains on your right side just like I did, plus your back.  Perhaps with these extra symptoms you might be able to convince the GP to order a MRI. If nothing else to rule PC out for now.

Good grief John, you'll worry poor Speccy to death. 🙂

I too, have pains like you've both described. I too, was intially concerned that they may be linked to prostate cancer. I have however been assured that they are not. If they were, I would have had, like you did John, a high PSA. Speccy's thankfully got a below normal PSA. 

User
Posted 22 Apr 2024 at 16:21

Hi everyone.  My first post and all that.  I'm 62, and after all the recent hype about prostate cancer, I thought it best to contact my GP about getting a PSA test.  He did that and a finger test.  The finger test shows that my prostate is enlarged.  The PSA test was normal.

Reading about the PSA, I believe that it misses 1 in 7 cancers, so that test is by no means conclusive.  My GP's comment then that nothing further was required seemed strange to me.  Is he right or should regular monitoring now be taking place?  

The GP did say that if I had symptoms I should contact him, but the symptoms are so vague it is difficult to know if they are due to the prostate or not.  I mean, yes, I go to the loo more at 62 than I ever did at 25, unless I was on a serious session of course!  I have been in a few motorcycle accidents in my youth, and had asked the doc about my right hip last year.  Recently, I have noticed an occasional sharp pain in my back, (right side a little below waist level) than happens when I am preparing food on our work top.  I put this down to making it to something approaching old age.  Lastly, I pretty much constantly have a feeling around the coccyx, like I have been sitting on a hard seat for too long.  All these seem too little to be worried about.....unless someone out there tells me different?

Edited by member 22 Apr 2024 at 16:54  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 22 Apr 2024 at 19:16

Thanks for replying Steve. That was my point though. The GP is saying that regular PSA tests are not necessary, which struck me as shortsighted and strange.

User
Posted 22 Apr 2024 at 22:48

Don't go the way I did!

6 years ago at 54 I went to the doctor's because of reduced urine flow and more urinating at night. The doctor did a PSA test and DRE (still haven't got over that!) The PSA came back at 1.34 and the DRE didn't uncover anything.

Evening John,

Your journey is indeed frightening. I notice on your profile history that you don't mention this GP's visit. Do you now think it is relevant to your subsequent cancer diagnosis? Do now you feel he/she should have done more?

I was also about 54 years old when I was refered by my GP to a urologist. due to urination problems. My PSA was 3. I had a DRE, which showed an enlarged prostate. I was prescribed Tamsulosin.

I had annual PSA checks. No further DREs and no MRIs. It was not until 9 years later that there was a slight PSA rise resulting in a further urology appointment, leading to MRI, biopsy and diagnosis of Gleason 6, low volume prostate cancer.

Even then, I was told "Don't worry. Some don't even call it cancer'  Ironically,  it was whilst allegedly being closely monitored on AS,  that my disease supposedly progressed alarmingly to Gleason 9 and had breached the capsule. 

It now seems more likely the intial biopsy had missed the more dangerous cancer cells, as it is rare for the Gleason score to get higher.  I often think I wonder when I contracted the disease. Was it 2020, when I was first diagnosed or could it have been as much as 10 years earlier.

So going back to your GPs visit and the original posters GPs visit. What do think they should have done? Do you think that everyone with a below normal PSA level but enlarged prostate should automatically have regular follow PSA checks or MRIs to double check that's all in order?

I'm a great believer in all men having prostate cancer screening, but unfortunately even then, some will avoid detection.

Edited by member 22 Apr 2024 at 23:19  | Reason: Additional text

User
Posted 22 Apr 2024 at 23:20

Hi

Yes, the original GPs visit was obviously a precursor to what was coming. At that time the results taken didn't indicate any further action. For possibly most men that would be true.

However, who knows what an MRI might have found 6 years ago? Perhaps a tiny treatable cancer within the prostate. I understand that the doctors can't afford to scan everyone, so what is the answer?

You did the right thing I think, annual PSA tests to keep on eye on the situation. Did you ask for this or did your GP? By doing this, hopefully you pick up when the cancer starts becoming more active and get treatment early.

Unfortunately for me, my GP made no suggestion of annual checks and at that time I had little knowledge of PC, so I took the GPs advice. Plus, for the following 4 years I was very well - fit, active, with no health problems, so I had no reason to push PSA tests myself. With the knowledge I have now, I would recommend any man has annual checks following an initial concern - hence my original response. Ideally, everyone would have an MRI when there are initial concerns - I can't believe a DRE is very effective, unless a cancer is fairly well advanced and consequently harder to cure!

I could get angry with the GP, consider legal action, etc.  However, he was just following an inadequate standard protocol, so what's the point. I should have read more at the time and insisted on annual checks. Hindsight's a b...ch!😥

User
Posted 22 Apr 2024 at 23:30

Good grief John! What a horrific story. I hope you are as ok as possible.

You are right, that situation is exactly what I want to avoid, and it is why I wanted to check here to see what others would expect from their GP. You guys are my second opinion so thank you all for commenting and for sharing your experiences. I wish you all well.

Hi Speccy

I'm fine at the moment, 2 year in to taking apalutamide. Tired, having hot flushes, but alive and working. Dreading each PSA test, every two or three months. Blood taken today, next oncologist call next Monday!😬🫣

I wish I'd contacted this forum 6 years ago, like you have, things might have been a lot different.  Reading your initial post, you're getting pains on your right side just like I did, plus your back.  Perhaps with these extra symptoms you might be able to convince the GP to order a MRI. If nothing else to rule PC out for now. However, definitely demand annual PSA tests.

User
Posted 22 Apr 2024 at 23:41

I would say that PSA's - being as unreliable when you haven't had your prostate removed as we all know THEY ARE - are largely at this juncture a waste of time and money.  Better to get a private MRI with radiologist report near to you - and depending on the findings - go back to you urologist.  I had to fight to get one.  I went to my GP surgery over a year and a half ago with a private mri company's referral form - just to get them to sign it - and was told my a lady doctor 'not to waste my money'.  She still refused to sign.  It was what my mother used to call I remember 'character building'.  I'm so glad in the end I DID get it.   It turned out to be one of the best investments of my life.  I was diagnosed with PCa on 4th December 2023 (Gleason 7 (4+3) T2c N0M0.  Prostatectomy 27th March 2024.  Excellent pathology.  No additional findings in terms of the cancer - so pleased the T2 was maintained - and best of all is the fact that ALL margins were 'completely clear'.  Had catheter out today (three days short of a month it was) and happy to report minimum incontinence - i.e., EXTREMELY LITLE - but a few dripples - and that is just on the first day post release.  

User
Posted 23 Apr 2024 at 10:35
If I've got this right, the general consensus here seems to be that GP's generally, have neither the time nor the inclination to chase any concerns we may have. I never thought I had this cancer, it just struck me as strange that the doc would tell me that my prostate is enlarged, then in the next breath tell me to clear off.

I think you guys are right, I will keep booking an annual PSA and if the doc wants to argue about it, so be it. My understanding of the PSA test (purely based on what I've seen on TV over the last while), is that it is still good at showing trends even when protein levels are low, thus regular checks.have their use.

Thanks everyone. 😊
User
Posted 23 Apr 2024 at 10:59

My prostate cancer was only found after a private medical for the renewal of my 7.5 ton driving licence at 70.The urine test picked up microscopic blood in my urine and the PSA was low at 2.19 but my doctor suggested i had further tests that confirmed cancer.I had no symptoms at the time and i wonder if it had not been a private medical would he have sent me for further tests.

My Gleason score was 3+4=7 t2 no mo and 5 cores out of 20 positive ,I had the choice of Robotic removal or Brachytherapy and i went for Brachytherapy. 7+ years on all good.

I believe that if i had waited for symptoms say know at 77 it could have been all 4s with very few options.

It's you body keep on top of it with yearly tests .

John.

User
Posted 23 Apr 2024 at 11:10

It seems that the 'threshold' for further action is hitting a 4+ on the PSA test for a GP to take action. Whether this is based on the 80:20 with the available resources of the NHS I have no idea.
It's the same as the post RP results where PSA > 0.2 triggers action.

However, getting an annual PSA test should be automatic for any man over 55

Edited by member 23 Apr 2024 at 11:11  | Reason: Not specified

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 22 Apr 2024 at 17:21

Hi mate.

Welcome to the forum. 

You've done the right thing and got yourself checked out.

I'm not medically qualified but an enlarged prostate can be caused by many non cancerous conditions. PSA is only an indicator of cancer,  however yours is low enough not to warrant further investigation. Your aches and pains are unlikely to have anything to do with your prostate. 

Personally, I'd be satisfied with your GP's actions.

User
Posted 22 Apr 2024 at 17:37

Thanks Adrian. I've no experience on this subject so thanks for passing on your wisdom and experience. 😊

User
Posted 22 Apr 2024 at 19:09
Hi

I agree with Adrian - your GP has done the right things and at this stage you do not have prostate cancer - but at 62 you should have a PSA test every year just to keep an eye on it.

There are very few symptoms with PCa - slow flow and difficulty urinating can be an indication but they could also be just an enlarged prostate - so it's a case of keeping up with the PSA tests.
User
Posted 22 Apr 2024 at 19:16

Thanks for replying Steve. That was my point though. The GP is saying that regular PSA tests are not necessary, which struck me as shortsighted and strange.

User
Posted 22 Apr 2024 at 21:11

Don't go the way I did!

Roll on 4 years and I stated getting pains in my side and abdomen. Saw the doctor and they did. Stool test. Whilst waiting for the results, the pain got so bad I wondered if my appendix was about to burst! Off to A &E I went and they did a CT scan. The A&E doctor came in looking very sheepish and said she couldn't confirm this as she wasn't an oncologist/urologist but to her it looked like I had prostate cancer that had metastasized in several sites.  This was all confirmed 3 weeks later - advanced incurable prostate cancer with an average prognosis of 2 to 5 years 

So my advice is, you have had a warning. The NHS will probably not come back every year to check progress. You should make a point of regularly checking your condition now with PSA tests. It only took me 4 years between, "Don't worry," to "Incurable!" Just forgetting it could be life shortening!

User
Posted 22 Apr 2024 at 22:48

Don't go the way I did!

Evening John,

Your journey is indeed frightening. I notice on your profile history that you don't mention this GP's visit. Do you now think it is relevant to your subsequent cancer diagnosis? Do now you feel he/she should have done more?

I was also about 54 years old when I was refered by my GP to a urologist. due to urination problems. My PSA was 3. I had a DRE, which showed an enlarged prostate. I was prescribed Tamsulosin.

I had annual PSA checks. No further DREs and no MRIs. It was not until 9 years later that there was a slight PSA rise resulting in a further urology appointment, leading to MRI, biopsy and diagnosis of Gleason 6, low volume prostate cancer.

Even then, I was told "Don't worry. Some don't even call it cancer'  Ironically,  it was whilst allegedly being closely monitored on AS,  that my disease supposedly progressed alarmingly to Gleason 9 and had breached the capsule. 

It now seems more likely the intial biopsy had missed the more dangerous cancer cells, as it is rare for the Gleason score to get higher.  I often think I wonder when I contracted the disease. Was it 2020, when I was first diagnosed or could it have been as much as 10 years earlier.

So going back to your GPs visit and the original posters GPs visit. What do think they should have done? Do you think that everyone with a below normal PSA level but enlarged prostate should automatically have regular follow PSA checks or MRIs to double check that's all in order?

I'm a great believer in all men having prostate cancer screening, but unfortunately even then, some will avoid detection.

Edited by member 22 Apr 2024 at 23:19  | Reason: Additional text

User
Posted 22 Apr 2024 at 23:18

You are right, that situation is exactly what I want to avoid, and it is why I wanted to check here to see what others would expect from their GP. You guys are my second opinion so thank you all for commenting and for sharing your experiences. I wish you all well.
User
Posted 22 Apr 2024 at 23:20

Hi

Yes, the original GPs visit was obviously a precursor to what was coming. At that time the results taken didn't indicate any further action. For possibly most men that would be true.

However, who knows what an MRI might have found 6 years ago? Perhaps a tiny treatable cancer within the prostate. I understand that the doctors can't afford to scan everyone, so what is the answer?

You did the right thing I think, annual PSA tests to keep on eye on the situation. Did you ask for this or did your GP? By doing this, hopefully you pick up when the cancer starts becoming more active and get treatment early.

Unfortunately for me, my GP made no suggestion of annual checks and at that time I had little knowledge of PC, so I took the GPs advice. Plus, for the following 4 years I was very well - fit, active, with no health problems, so I had no reason to push PSA tests myself. With the knowledge I have now, I would recommend any man has annual checks following an initial concern - hence my original response. Ideally, everyone would have an MRI when there are initial concerns - I can't believe a DRE is very effective, unless a cancer is fairly well advanced and consequently harder to cure!

I could get angry with the GP, consider legal action, etc.  However, he was just following an inadequate standard protocol, so what's the point. I should have read more at the time and insisted on annual checks. Hindsight's a b...ch!😥

User
Posted 22 Apr 2024 at 23:30

Hi Speccy

I'm fine at the moment, 2 year in to taking apalutamide. Tired, having hot flushes, but alive and working. Dreading each PSA test, every two or three months. Blood taken today, next oncologist call next Monday!😬🫣

I wish I'd contacted this forum 6 years ago, like you have, things might have been a lot different.  Reading your initial post, you're getting pains on your right side just like I did, plus your back.  Perhaps with these extra symptoms you might be able to convince the GP to order a MRI. If nothing else to rule PC out for now. However, definitely demand annual PSA tests.

User
Posted 22 Apr 2024 at 23:41

I would say that PSA's - being as unreliable when you haven't had your prostate removed as we all know THEY ARE - are largely at this juncture a waste of time and money.  Better to get a private MRI with radiologist report near to you - and depending on the findings - go back to you urologist.  I had to fight to get one.  I went to my GP surgery over a year and a half ago with a private mri company's referral form - just to get them to sign it - and was told my a lady doctor 'not to waste my money'.  She still refused to sign.  It was what my mother used to call I remember 'character building'.  I'm so glad in the end I DID get it.   It turned out to be one of the best investments of my life.  I was diagnosed with PCa on 4th December 2023 (Gleason 7 (4+3) T2c N0M0.  Prostatectomy 27th March 2024.  Excellent pathology.  No additional findings in terms of the cancer - so pleased the T2 was maintained - and best of all is the fact that ALL margins were 'completely clear'.  Had catheter out today (three days short of a month it was) and happy to report minimum incontinence - i.e., EXTREMELY LITLE - but a few dripples - and that is just on the first day post release.  

User
Posted 22 Apr 2024 at 23:53

Reading your initial post, you're getting pains on your right side just like I did, plus your back.  Perhaps with these extra symptoms you might be able to convince the GP to order a MRI. If nothing else to rule PC out for now.

Good grief John, you'll worry poor Speccy to death. 🙂

I too, have pains like you've both described. I too, was intially concerned that they may be linked to prostate cancer. I have however been assured that they are not. If they were, I would have had, like you did John, a high PSA. Speccy's thankfully got a below normal PSA. 

User
Posted 23 Apr 2024 at 10:35
If I've got this right, the general consensus here seems to be that GP's generally, have neither the time nor the inclination to chase any concerns we may have. I never thought I had this cancer, it just struck me as strange that the doc would tell me that my prostate is enlarged, then in the next breath tell me to clear off.

I think you guys are right, I will keep booking an annual PSA and if the doc wants to argue about it, so be it. My understanding of the PSA test (purely based on what I've seen on TV over the last while), is that it is still good at showing trends even when protein levels are low, thus regular checks.have their use.

Thanks everyone. 😊
User
Posted 23 Apr 2024 at 10:59

My prostate cancer was only found after a private medical for the renewal of my 7.5 ton driving licence at 70.The urine test picked up microscopic blood in my urine and the PSA was low at 2.19 but my doctor suggested i had further tests that confirmed cancer.I had no symptoms at the time and i wonder if it had not been a private medical would he have sent me for further tests.

My Gleason score was 3+4=7 t2 no mo and 5 cores out of 20 positive ,I had the choice of Robotic removal or Brachytherapy and i went for Brachytherapy. 7+ years on all good.

I believe that if i had waited for symptoms say know at 77 it could have been all 4s with very few options.

It's you body keep on top of it with yearly tests .

John.

User
Posted 23 Apr 2024 at 11:10

It seems that the 'threshold' for further action is hitting a 4+ on the PSA test for a GP to take action. Whether this is based on the 80:20 with the available resources of the NHS I have no idea.
It's the same as the post RP results where PSA > 0.2 triggers action.

However, getting an annual PSA test should be automatic for any man over 55

Edited by member 23 Apr 2024 at 11:11  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 23 Apr 2024 at 11:18
Hi John.

That private test seems to have been a very good thing for you. Well done on getting an early diagnosis.