Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Is this a big jump in psa?

User
Posted 23 Apr 2024 at 10:35

Hi again, it me the worrier!

Would 1.4 to 2.5 within a year be considered an alarming jump? I waited 72 before test exercise / ejac/ I have mild bph aged 53 thank you

User
Posted 23 Apr 2024 at 11:14
It sounds as though it's in the normal range for someone aged 53 and not an immediate concern - but certainly keep up on the annual PSA tests. As discussed elsewhere, the GP is unlikely to take an interest unless it goes above 4 but there may be a few who slip through the net as being atypical.
If it were me I'd not be concerned but would make sure I had an annual PSA going forward.
User
Posted 23 Apr 2024 at 11:23

Thanks, what could cause these spikes though? I dont have any symptoms of inflammation, doctor says i have a mild bph. also my crp hs has gone way up from 0.6 to 3.5. dosnt this all point towards cancer?

Feb 2020 - 1.11

April 2021 - 1.08

July 2021 - 1.04

March 2022 - 1.64

January 2023 - 1.65

July 2023 - 1.43

January 2024 - 2.14

Today - 2.49

Edited by member 23 Apr 2024 at 11:24  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 24 Apr 2024 at 19:16

There are sorts of possibilities. It can be cancer or nothing. PSA values dont follow any set pattern for many people. You can do MP MRI and if it is suspicious then biopsy.

User
Posted 24 Apr 2024 at 19:19

You can read this guys story on quora. His PSA was only 2.63 and then it shot like anything.

https://www.quora.com/What-symptoms-did-you-notice-before-being-diagnosed-with-cancer

Or this one. Read the case of John Anderson. His PSA jumped from 1.7 to 92.7 in 4 months.

https://wchh.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1002/tre.322

User
Posted 29 Apr 2024 at 00:13

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

You can read this guys story on quora. His PSA was only 2.63 and then it shot like anything.

https://www.quora.com/What-symptoms-did-you-notice-before-being-diagnosed-with-cancer

Or this one. Read the case of John Anderson. His PSA jumped from 1.7 to 92.7 in 4 months.

https://wchh.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1002/tre.322

Why do you think that sharing this story helps anyone in anyway?  This answers NO QUESTIONS.  It is ONE PERSON'S STORY.  Posting this will most likely cause the OP and other readers ANXIETY. 

The PSA is within the range for you at present Tel.  PSA can rise from an enlarging prostate, infections and other things.  If you are concerned, discuss with the doctor and maybe have another PSA test.  A recent UTI can also cause a rise.  The fact you have had bph diagnosed could be a reason for the rise in PSA levels.  Please also be aware that anxiety can increase PSA levels.

For my story, I am 47.  I had a PSA test in January that came back at 3.2.  I had a DRE that was smooth.  I then had another PSA test that came back to 2.2.  If it can drop 31% in a few weeks, it can also rise that amount is my logic.

However, since this I have been on heightened alert.  As well as changing my diet, walking more and losing 10lbs so far - every back ache gets me thinking that "I have cancer that has spread to the bones".

There are no typical cases, is what I am concluding.  There are people with "normal" PSAs that have cancer, there are people with raised PSAs that do not.  The PSA is not a test for cancer.

If you really want my advice - I would try to get another PSA in a few months.  I'd also consider not asking questions on here.  There are people here who offer good advice, but considerably more who speculate, guess, and provide answers based on no scientific basis.

I, myself, have been told that PCa will affect me in 10 years time by one person on this forum, and yet another has told me to stop drinking milk.  I know both mean well, but their words did, and still continue to, cause me anxiety.  If you have a car issue, you speak to a mechanic.  If your toilet is blocked you get a plumber.  If you have a rising PSA, talk to the doctor.  Not to people like Ashu who, although probably meaning well, has cherry picked some stories.  It makes me really really angry.  

User
Posted 29 Apr 2024 at 07:26

Why do you think that sharing this story helps anyone in anyway?  This answers NO QUESTIONS.  It is ONE PERSON'S STORY.  Posting this will most likely cause the OP and other readers ANXIETY.

Welcome back to the forum mate.

I agree entirely. 

Congratulates on losing some weight and increasing exercise. I'm attempting to do likewise.

It's PSA test day for me. I still fear recurrence. Fingers crossed it still will be undetectable. I should get the results tomorrow.

User
Posted 29 Apr 2024 at 07:40

Welcome back to the forum mate.

I agree entirely. 

Congratulates on losing some weight and increasing exercise. I'm attempting to do likewise.

It's PSA test day for me. I still fear recurrence. Fingers crossed it still will be undetectable. I should get the results tomorrow.

Good luck with the PSA test mate.  I'm hoping it stays undetectable for you.  Don't forget to give the vial of blood a stare that one used to get from a mother "Don't you dare".  

Although I am 47, I haven't run since pre-covid.  I'm hoping I can turn my lunch-time walks into runs, but I did a nice 5.2 mile walk on Friday and usually get 2.5 miles of walking in every lunch-time when working.  Although my weight stayed steady for a long time, jeans that I bought at Christmas that were tight (but I stubbornly said they fitted) are now a bit loose on me.  

I am still in the obese range for BMI, but have been there before and got down to just in the overweight BMI range.  Supposed to lose 3 stone in total to get to a normal weight, but cannot see me getting to 12 stone - but it's something I'll try to do.  Note to self - remember people only ever comment when you put weight on.  

Best wishes for the PSA pal.