Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Different PSA scores.

User
Posted 23 Apr 2024 at 17:51

Hello, 

My Dad had an ‘over 50’s check’ at the GP, he also requested a PSA test. 

He had sex 2 days before the first test (was unaware he wasn’t allowed to do so). His first result was 5.1, 3 days later he had a second test which came back at 13. 

Is this common for prostate cancer patients to have such a high jump within a few days? 

Could the high jump be due to sexual activity? 

What else could be causing this? 

we are all worried! 

User
Posted 23 Apr 2024 at 18:49
No, this is not normal. I'd suggest leaving it a couple of weeks and getting a retest.

User
Posted 24 Apr 2024 at 09:49

This is such a large change for 3 days that would really only be expected after a biopsy, sudden UTI, or possibly a COVID infection. If none of those fit, I would question if something has gone wrong with the lab tests or results wrongly reported.

The 5.1 level is too high for a 50 year old, so even if that's the right level, he should be referred to urology to investigate, possibly after a second PSA test.

User
Posted 24 Apr 2024 at 13:54
Having sex before a PSA test is only thought to increase the PSA by about 10% (so from 5.1 to 5.6) and only likely to affect PSA for about 24 hours.

Prostate cancer wouldn't lead to such a rapid rise in PSA. Dad may not want to discuss it with you but I wonder whether the GP did the 'finger up the bum' test before the blood test? If not, this is most likely to be an infection of some kind.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard