I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

PSA dropped below 1 after just one shot of Chemotherapy

User
Posted 25 Apr 2024 at 11:29

Hi, my name is Reza, I am 52 years old and I have been diagnosed with metastatic prostate cancer three months ago. The cancer has spread throughout my pelvic bone and sperm glands, but not any other tissue in my body. On 27 March, 2024, my PSA level was 52, and hence I immediately started receiving chemotherapy and radiography. Just a week ago, I took the PSA test one more time and I was told that the PSA level has dropped to 0.906 just after one session of chemotherapy. My doctor expressed surprise and said that this is a good sign that the body is responding well to the treatment. But I am still wondering what this means, does it mean that I am healed? Does it mean that the cancer has gone? Please shed some light on my situation.

Reza

User
Posted 25 Apr 2024 at 11:29

Hi, my name is Reza, I am 52 years old and I have been diagnosed with metastatic prostate cancer three months ago. The cancer has spread throughout my pelvic bone and sperm glands, but not any other tissue in my body. On 27 March, 2024, my PSA level was 52, and hence I immediately started receiving chemotherapy and radiography. Just a week ago, I took the PSA test one more time and I was told that the PSA level has dropped to 0.906 just after one session of chemotherapy. My doctor expressed surprise and said that this is a good sign that the body is responding well to the treatment. But I am still wondering what this means, does it mean that I am healed? Does it mean that the cancer has gone? Please shed some light on my situation.

Reza

User
Posted 25 Apr 2024 at 17:26
No, unfortunately it doesn't mean that. Metastatic cancer is treatable, but incurable. It's excellent news that the cancer has responded so well to chemo, and with luck the chemo can successfully fight the cancer for some time. Cancer cells are constantly mutating in your body, though, and at some point it will become resistant to your current treatment and start growing again. When that happens, your oncologist will switch you to a different treatment and it all starts again. There are quite a few different treatments available, and new ones are being developed constantly. Your cancer can never be cured, but treatment should mean that you have a good many years of life to enjoy ahead of you.

Best wishes,

Chris
User
Posted 25 Apr 2024 at 19:50
I think you are probably on some kind of hormone treatment as well - either tablets or injections? It is the hormone treatment that makes the PSA drop
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 25 Apr 2024 at 17:26
No, unfortunately it doesn't mean that. Metastatic cancer is treatable, but incurable. It's excellent news that the cancer has responded so well to chemo, and with luck the chemo can successfully fight the cancer for some time. Cancer cells are constantly mutating in your body, though, and at some point it will become resistant to your current treatment and start growing again. When that happens, your oncologist will switch you to a different treatment and it all starts again. There are quite a few different treatments available, and new ones are being developed constantly. Your cancer can never be cured, but treatment should mean that you have a good many years of life to enjoy ahead of you.

Best wishes,

Chris
User
Posted 25 Apr 2024 at 19:50
I think you are probably on some kind of hormone treatment as well - either tablets or injections? It is the hormone treatment that makes the PSA drop
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard