Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error
123>

Regaining Erections

User
Posted 15 Dec 2014 at 22:33

8 months post op, I sometimes feel a twinge down under, but nothing more.  Sildenafil (100mg) has had no effect - the only way I have had an erection is with a pump.  

My question is to those of you who have been in this position and now get erections, 'What were the signs of their return and how long did it take?'

Thanks for any replies.

Paul

Stay Calm And Carry On.
User
Posted 09 Feb 2015 at 13:28
Paul

I know that it must be incredibly frustrating for you and I feel a tiny bit gulity that some of your humour really makes me chuckle. I have visions of you bashing hell out of that golf ball and increasing your drive (golf not sex) by many yards.

Of course this Saturday is a very romantic occasion, I know some people say overplayed and far too gooey but speaking as a Lady (well female at least) I can truly say that unexpected romantic gestures are wonderful. A special little gift chosen for the personal link it has for your wife, a nice candle lit dinner with a good bottle of wine or champagne (actually a good Cava would do it for me) Download or rent a really good film not necessarily a romance just something that you will both enjoy ... snuggle up in front of a nice fire don't tell her you have popped a bluey (or whatever) and maybe the surprise of it all will help you both to relax. Taking things very slowly really can help maybe whisper encouragement and just let her know how very special she is.

I sometimes think Men misunderstand a lack of interest in the bedroom for a loss of love or atrraction when actually it is neither, just any number of silly things tiredness, losing a bit of self belief, worry or just a lack of sparkle. Fear of failure works both ways, I always think that is sad when the term is used in a sexual relationship as it should not be seen as failure, great love making does not have to reach mutual or even a one way climax.

I also recognise that people on the forum can often talk about their issues with others here and yet the one person they really could do with being able to talk with honestly, candidly and very definitely openly with is the one they are with. Don't get me wrong just being open enough to talk about it here is a fantastic start.

I have read this about 4 times now and have been thinking should I really post this. For me this is actually quite explicit as I am often bad at being really open to those still the closest to me.

oh well hit that button

xx

Mo

User
Posted 17 Dec 2014 at 15:55

Hello Sixfoot

I do sympathise with you in your current situation and I do realise how difficult it must be for a
man to suddenly be bereft of what he sees as his manhood.

Does sexuality alone define you all as men?

It must be very frustrating, in more than one way for you, that your missus appears to be not interested in helping you on the road to sexual recovery but Countryboy has posed some questions that only you know the answers to.
The rest of us, aren’t in your situation, so can only see it partly from your point of view.

Could I just post a little thought from the woman’s side, especially for a woman going through what your wife is.

You don’t say at what stage she is. The menopause can last for years for some women and some go through it without any hassle BUT for a lot of women it isn’t just the physical feelings of debilitation, the tiredness, the weepiness, the bad temper (I know that some men go through most of this with Hormone Therapy) it is also the loss of her femininity, much like you with your ability to get an erection.

I can’t imagine many women who want another child when they are mid 50s to 60s but it is the loss of choice. We are no longer what we were mainly put on this earth for.

We no longer feel desirable. Our skin wrinkles and sags, our hair thins., we put on weight that is very very difficult to shift.

It also becomes very uncomfortable to actually have intercourse because our desire wanes and more care needs to be taken to interest us, as ourselves, rather than as a vessel to improve our other half’s ability, because, being touchy, that is how we are going to view it.!

All the things that a lot of women find important to make them still attractive to the opposite sex.
We get touchy over little things and look for ulterior motives perhaps when none are intended.

We feel perhaps that we no longer have a purpose in life anymore

Is it possible that your wife is a bit depressed with all that is changing in her life as well as coping with what is happening (or not in your case!) in yours.

Maybe she feels that you are not sympathetic to her feelings and appear interested in one thing.
As I said, we don’t know your circumstances or what life was like for both of you before this disease came along, but if you had previous problems then I would imagine Prostate cancer can only have exacerbated them

Your wife is unlikely to listen to a complete stranger regarding going to the doc for help.
There are temporarily helpful drugs to get over the worst of it.
Or there are natural remedies which really do help.
Evening primrose oil, soya etc.
Holland and Barretts have a wealth of supplements and can offer advice.

Time will take care of it, but that’s not much help to you right now is it.

Long post, sorry. Hope I haven't bored you. Just wanted to give the slant the other way.

Best Wishes
Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 16 Jul 2015 at 20:47

D, M & S

The rings that come with the pump will go around the Penis and  balls and believe me it is painful, more terrifying is the OH coming towards you with a pair of scissors to cut it of. By the way it was not intentional as it says on the packet "read the instructions".

On a more serious noted used a muse pellet on Saturday for the first time, did what it said on the packet 10 second of rubbing it in, 10 minutes walking around and stimulation, 45 minutes of rock hard penis, still lacks that strength at the base and loses a bit of sensitivity but it is not all about me, and as others have said those dry orgasms are something else. One downside I only get 4 applicators a month, sure the OH had a word with the ED consultant, sure I said 4 times a week.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 09 Jan 2015 at 12:34

More fun and games last night, after popping another pill!! We've certainly come a long way since I started this thread 25 days ago.

There was no response to my actions, but the old man certainly responded well, (much better than last time) to some stimulation from the OH. Not enough for intercourse, but still a significant response.

I still use the pump to get better erections and keep the blood flowing,, but to use it in the middle of foreplay would spoil the mood.

Things beginning to look up!

Stay Calm And Carry On.
User
Posted 09 Feb 2015 at 22:58

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

A few weeks since my last update. Unfortunately, my OH has had a chest infection, and was off work for a while, and even though she is back now, is nowhere near 100%.

Anyway, I had my first 100 mg sildenafil tablet in a while on Saturday. Sadly, a long coughing fit as soon as she got into bed put paid to any passion, so I was unable to find if there was any progress.  WHY?  HAVE YOU LOST THE USE OF YOUR HANDS?  DO NOT WASTE A TABLET MATEY.  ;-)  SOMEONE SHOULD RE-RECORD THAT BAZ LUHRMANN TRACK "WEAR SUNSCREEN" for those recovering from PCa surgery, with "WANK".  SERIOUSLY. 

There are, however considerable side effects. I slept poorly feeling hot, I am left feeling head achy, and the effects lasted 24 hours.  HAD SIMILAR.  TOOK PAINKILLERS.  WORKED THROUGH IT.  GLAD I DID.  WILLY's WORKING AGAIN.  GLAD I DID WORK THROUGH IT.  PERSEVERE.  IT MAY BE WORTH IT?

One consolation, though. I played a really good game of golf on Sunday morning, which my OH says that was because no nooky the night before makes you play more aggressively.  KNOW WHICH I WOULD PREFER!  

I have been using the pump without the ring to exercise the old man, but although I sometimes feel there are stirrings down under, there is no sign of anything happening naturally.  I am now 10 months post op.  STILL VERY EARLY DAYS.    FRET THEE NOT.  

good luck, be patient with yourself, it may take up to 2 years to get where your recovery will be and then still improve after that time.   All you an do is play aroud and experiment with the meds, with places, with times. 

And, most importantly of all, be understanding of and make allowances for your partner, it is a tough journey for her as well.

atb

dave

User
Posted 17 Dec 2014 at 18:29

An excellent viewpoint, well made Sandra,

As empathetic as a man might be, we can not really understand all the intricacies of what a lady goes through at that time.  

FWIW I know of a few men for whom their sexuality or sex ability is the be all and end all.  I don't go with that view.  But, just because a man may have no need for being able to have sex now does not mean that he may not have a need later on?  And when Mrs SF2 gets through the MP she may desire some action.  Sorry, how to put that more subtly?   I am not even sure that is how one spells subtly?

It seems that either SF2 accepts that his love life with his wife is at an end, for now or indefinitely, or he goes it alone to preserve and improve what he can as and when he can in case Mrs SF2's interest is rekindled?  The issue for him is that if he does not do what he can now then 2 years down the line it may be too late? You may not be interested in driving at the moment but if you keep your car in the garage just in case you want told drive later you still turn it over every now and then to keep it running smoothly.  

It is a horrid situation to be in.  Would HRT help her?  And I don't mean just to get her interest going, I mean  generally?  I wonder if she would benefit from reading of some of the experiences of the ladies here?

Dave

User
Posted 18 Dec 2014 at 00:45

Bloody hell, Sandra .... Is that what I have to look forward to? You ain't doing a good job of selling it to me :-(

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 18 Dec 2014 at 09:44

Bloody hell, Sandra .... Is that what I have to look forward to? You ain't doing a good job of selling it to me :-(

Oops!!

http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gifhttp://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif 

Sorry Lyn.

Obviously not all women  are the same, just like the men on here .

Fortunately I wasn't quite as bad as I portrayed but I know of others who suffered far far worse, and also one woman who didn't even notice it !

I just feel that sometimes our men lose sight of us as also suffering at the same time as them due to what our men are going through.

I suspect that some of us wives/partners bury our heads in the sand about ALL of it because the reality and fear of the future is so strong.

I'm lucky in a lot of ways because we talk all the time (well I do and John has to answer my questions just to shut me up).

It wasn't always like that and I wouldn't care to give the impression that our marriage is perfect or always has been. Fortyfive years brings a lot of ups and downs.

My menopause joy was a good few years ago but I could see myself feeling annoyed and put upon if what is happening now had happened then whilst I was going through it. I know that John was often bewildered by my apparent contrariness and I couldn't always explain just how I felt about life in general.

Anyway, if it's any consolation to you science can  help enormously or you could try the herbal route which I preferred (Didn't fancy taking female horse pee or the synthetic version of it)

I know it's not easy for some couples to talk about personal things, and when I reply to people on here I always seem to be harping on about it.

It's so easy for misunderstandings to happen if words aren't actually spoken. Even a loving gesture can be taken the wrong way if the other person has it fixed in their mind that the gesture isn't genuine but has an ulterior motive.

So, for any man following this thread, which I appear to have hijacked by  the way (Apologies), it's no good expecting the other half to know how you feel. We aren't psychic.

Sorry again for the rambling.

I'll get off my soapbox now.  http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif

User
Posted 19 Dec 2014 at 10:05

Yabadabadoo!!!!!

I told my good lady on Wednesday I would take a tablet last night.  Lo and behold, we had an intimate session, and double yabadabadoo, the tablet produced a mini (about 20/25%) erection.

I feel as though I am on my way to recovery, and if progress is like it was with the incontinence, then who knows where we'll be this time next year.http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif

Stay Calm And Carry On.
User
Posted 19 Dec 2014 at 11:46

Woohoo!

Absolutely excellent news SF2,

So pleased for you and MrsSF2.

Are you walking about with a huge grin on your face this morning?

Now you know it can happen, that anxiety is gone. And it just gets better and better. What a lovely result for you both.

ATB

Dave

User
Posted 19 Dec 2014 at 12:18

Yay!! Keep it up (Oh you know what I mean)
So pleased for you.
A VERY MERRY and ENJOYABLE Christmas to you and Mrs Sixfoot2

User
Posted 09 Feb 2015 at 13:34

Sixfoottwo

My op was two weeks after yours. 

I started my daily 100 mg sildenafil tablet on Friday, I was warned about headaches but so far just a slight muzziness. As regards the sleep, I am knackered, if I wake in the night I cannot get back to sleep, I have also turned the heating down a bit. I was ready Friday night but the OH had been rubbing Ralgex into her back so that was a passion killer.  Hoping tonight might see some serious stimulation from the OH. Still early days so no need to panic.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 30 Apr 2015 at 21:49

Paul

We are a couple of weeks apart surgery wise.

I am getting some success with Sildenafil the only side effect is the stuffed up feeling. I have been away for a couple of days and missed my tablets, last night I had mushrooms in garlic butter with a cheese sauce followed by a ham and pineapple pizza accompanied with a G & T and woke up with a sizeable erection and sadly the wife was 170 miles away. Any explanations ?

Thanks Chris

Yep - the wife was 170 miles away.  I think it's called Sod's Law!!http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif

Thanks for the laugh, which your post gave me.  My husband also gets the sniffles and a  bit of a flushed face but fortunately nothing too dramatic other than that.

Unfortunately he doesn't eat mushrooms, garlic, cheese sauce or ham and pineapple so I can't experiment http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif

User
Posted 01 May 2015 at 00:01

Mo

She's never had a high sex drive,

she is very inhibited.

She has never been interested in anything the slightest bit kinky

I had a very innocent upbringing, and was a very shy teenager,

so (you) didn't get up to things many youngsters do!!

Have you and she talked about how you feel, how you both may feel?  How do you know that she does not feel equally sexually frustrated?

Would she talk to you about this matter, if you gave her a chance?

Have you considered you both attending Relate?

Many years ago, around 1976 I got a book, 2 actually, from my library, by Alex Comfort., JOS 1 and JOS2  It taught me a lot and led to a lifetime of fun and games.  I feel sad for those who do not experience the free without a licence and anytime any place anywhere fun that can be had between adults, what a lot you are both missing out on.

Worth talking bout?

dave

All we can do - is do all that we can.

So, do all you can to help yourself, then make the best of your time. :-)

I am the statistic.

User
Posted 01 May 2015 at 00:19

Chris

Sod's law, definitely! I hope it wasn't wasted!

I don't suffer from sniffles, and although after the first few tablets, I woke up with a slight headache the next day, that seems to have stopped now. I do feel flush though about 30 mins after taking one.

Dave - today was her last day at work, and when we got home I observed we would be able to enjoy ourselves in the afternoons on occasions, and got a knowing look. Let's see what develops!

Paul

Stay Calm And Carry On.
User
Posted 09 May 2015 at 17:25

Great news SF2. Long may it continue. Best Wishes Sandra

User
Posted 10 May 2015 at 02:30
Hi Paul,

That's really great news. Well done you. Enjoy every moment.

Steve

User
Posted 03 Jun 2015 at 08:04
I hope to be where you both are soon. If only my OH could move past the leakage thing, we might be able to try. I keep trying to tell him, and I tell you, that there's not that much difference in messiness between a squirt of semen and s squirt of urine. We need a shower after both!!

L

User
Posted 03 Jun 2015 at 10:01
Paul

Progress for you and great that you share your experiences it really helps others I am sure.

As for leakage as Louise says "what's the difference" in general I think I would agree but can empathise with your wife too. I can think of one scenario where it might be a bit awkward.

When you think of the journey that semen or urine have, then for men who have dry orgasms I wonder if the muscular spasm/activity that builds causes that involuntary squirtlet?

There is also that running water thing I know some men and women find it quite hard to not pee in the shower most make sure they go before getting in, I wonder if that contributes too?

I guess it is all just about finding your mutual comfort zone. It sounds like you are doing that happily so good for you.

Best wishes

Xx

Mo

User
Posted 04 Jun 2015 at 08:30

Glad to be providing a bit of banter on the site, as we all know so well, so much is serious.

If only I were 2f2. Unfortunately, only 5f8 - I did explain once where the name came from - it was a chant to do with my favourite all time Man Utd player.

As for intercourse, if only, not there yet, but hopefully not too long.

Hilary - does Sean have natural erections, or are they aided. I hate the feel of the ring on the pump, so only use it to exercise.

Paul

Stay Calm And Carry On.
User
Posted 04 Jun 2015 at 21:40

Hilary

Sean is obviously doing well. I hope to be catching him up pretty soon. The incontinence has hardly changed for me in the last few months - only 1 pad per day, dry at night, but some way to go for total control.. At least I get my pads on the NHS.

Paul

PS .On one occasion it was just like old times.

I wish I could remember!

Stay Calm And Carry On.
User
Posted 06 Jul 2015 at 14:43

I don't think you can be using it correctly - there should be no problem getting engorgement in the tube and the problem then tends to be keeping it engorged once the tube is removed.

There are slight differences depending on which make of pump you have but the general rules are:
- trim your pubic hair as close to the skin as you can
- smear inside of tube AND your skin where the tube meets your pubic bone with plenty of KY jelly or ehatever was provided with the pump (this is to help get a good seal to create the vacuum
- ensure the tube is pressed closely against the skin
- pump a few times and pause to allow the blood to flow in, then pump a few times and pause, pump a few times and pause
- release the vacuum by easing tube end away from your skin and then start again
- ideally you should be doing this 3 times a day with 3 - 5 reps ... it is hard work at first but does get easier with practice
- once you have the technique right, start to set yourself goals - using the Erecaid Esteem, John could only get the tip of his penis to the first E but with practice he made it to the T and then eventually the third E
- once you have the technique and are getting good engorgement in the tube, THEN try using the rings and removing the tube

It is slightly different if you have a different make to the Osbon Erecaid - I think the Farnhurst requires you to use the rings even when practising. Also, if you have the electric model that is much eaier on your wrists than the manual versions.

Let me know which make & model you are using

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 07 Jul 2015 at 22:23

Chris

You definitely need healing time. Don't worry about erections yet. You should ask for Ciallis at 6 weeks to start the healing process. For me, you also should ask to be assigned an ED nurse to guide and encourage you.

Paul

Stay Calm And Carry On.
User
Posted 07 Jul 2015 at 23:33

SGHK, there is a knack to getting the ring off. You grasp the two flaps or nobbles and pull out to the sides - this allows the blood to escape from the penis which makes the penis small - the ring then slides off easily. This is the other benefit of lubing all the way up the shaft, helps with the sliding off as well as stopping your skin from dragging inside the tube as you pump.

When I referred to the multiple erections, I was thinking of the 'wake up in the morning' one that most men get, and the one in the shower and the lazy lob that occurs when you are watching TV etc etc. A healthy man (who doesn't have PCa induced ED) has an average of 3-5 erections each night while asleep, each lasting for about 30 minutes. That is what you are trying to replicate to keep the spongy tissue healthy.

User
Posted 09 Jul 2015 at 09:40

Diesel, were you always the naughty boy in the corner of the classroom?

CB, I have taken you off my Christmas card list

It's alright you both taking the ssip but I note that neither of you are too keen to display your handsomeness on here?

Hi Sweetcheeks, yes, got it in one, always the naughty boy,too late to change now.There's a good reason I dont post my photo for all you lovely ladies to view at your leisure,I'm just so stunningly handsome with 6 pack physique you couldn't contain yourselves, so you have to make do with a picture of my garden,frustrating I know,but the good news is my erections are improving with a little help,not quite there yet, bit like my school reports,'Could do Better' Diesel xx

Edited by member 09 Jul 2015 at 11:02  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 05 Aug 2015 at 21:38

I have Diesel, 3 weeks in France. No rings or ball displays though as soundproofing a tent is quite difficult

User
Posted 06 Aug 2015 at 22:54

Chris, I think you are allowed to name medics when they are appearing somewhere or you are quoting their published info.

User
Posted 07 Aug 2015 at 00:40

Just avoid naming professionals when you are talking about treatment options.

Okay to state name if you are stating where Mr/Mrs X will be, that is "open source" knowledge.

atb

dave

I am the statistic.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 16 Dec 2014 at 01:35

If Sildenafil has had no effect, check that you are taking it correctly. You should also ask to try Muse, Levitra and Cialis (not all at the same time though) and if they fail, consider Caverject.

As you are aware, John regained natural erections of sorts between years 2 and 3 and the signs of recovery were simply having treatments that worked. Sadly, if none of the treatments work then the chance of natural erections coming back is very slim. However, you are not at that stage yet and have lots of treatments still to try :-)

User
Posted 16 Dec 2014 at 16:35

Thanks, Lyn. I find the pump good for getting erections, but it feels very uncomfortable with the ring, and I am unsure as to whether I need a smaller one, but haven't the confidence to try it. I'm trying to be patient, but the lack of interest in sex from my good lady, especially since she started the menopause, doesn't help.

I think she'd rather I was on a do it all yourself routine.

Stay Calm And Carry On.
User
Posted 16 Dec 2014 at 22:40
Paul

Talking to a guy with several years experience with the pump last week he suggested using two larger rings at the same time rather than going smaller, his experience was that the erection lasted longer. I have been advised not to use the pump for a while until the stricture gets sorted. The thought of using muse did not appeal to me but doing ISC every other day has changed my outlook.

Good luck

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 16 Dec 2014 at 23:06

ISC? Sorry - not the sharpest tool in the box on some occasions!

Stay Calm And Carry On.
User
Posted 17 Dec 2014 at 13:04

Paul

Sorry "intermittent self catheterisation" in my case inserting a pipe up your penis and into the bladder every other day to keep the bladder neck open.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 17 Dec 2014 at 13:11

I'll probably try muse when I go for my next appointment in February. A pad easily lasts a day now so I am fortunate that I hope soon to be dry with full control.

I can't say the thought of injecting appeals, although I do have a golfing friend who uses it without problems. Although when you have a wife who'd rather I go and play with myself, you wonder why bother!

Stay Calm And Carry On.
User
Posted 17 Dec 2014 at 13:53

SF2 

I don't know how long you have been married, you do.  I don't know how long you are likely to stay married, neither do you.  Whether your relationship was running smoothly or not prior to your medical issues, I don't know?  

IIWM in your situation, I would ensure that I do all I can to make sure I achieve the best recovery possible, as you never know when you might need it?  My situation was similar to yours, partner not interested at all in me, or my sexual recovery.  I decided that regardless of her lack of interest I would do all I could to regain as much function as possible because we none of us know how life will turn out.  Scroll forward 18 moths and she and I are no longer together.  I know that when I meet another lady I will be able to enjoy a full natural relationship.  If I had not bothered trying and playing and manipulating and pumping etc etc all these last 18 months, I don't know what state of useability my bits would be in.  As it is, because I worked at it, I am able to enjoy intercourse with orgasm again.  It is brilliant.  Like being a kid and discovering sex all over again. 

Have you considered asking her to go to Relate with you?  Is she getting help from her GP regarding the menopause?  HT replacement help?

It is a miserable situation to be living through, I can appreciate how you are feeling.  You need to look after YOU.

ATB

Dave

User
Posted 17 Dec 2014 at 15:55

Hello Sixfoot

I do sympathise with you in your current situation and I do realise how difficult it must be for a
man to suddenly be bereft of what he sees as his manhood.

Does sexuality alone define you all as men?

It must be very frustrating, in more than one way for you, that your missus appears to be not interested in helping you on the road to sexual recovery but Countryboy has posed some questions that only you know the answers to.
The rest of us, aren’t in your situation, so can only see it partly from your point of view.

Could I just post a little thought from the woman’s side, especially for a woman going through what your wife is.

You don’t say at what stage she is. The menopause can last for years for some women and some go through it without any hassle BUT for a lot of women it isn’t just the physical feelings of debilitation, the tiredness, the weepiness, the bad temper (I know that some men go through most of this with Hormone Therapy) it is also the loss of her femininity, much like you with your ability to get an erection.

I can’t imagine many women who want another child when they are mid 50s to 60s but it is the loss of choice. We are no longer what we were mainly put on this earth for.

We no longer feel desirable. Our skin wrinkles and sags, our hair thins., we put on weight that is very very difficult to shift.

It also becomes very uncomfortable to actually have intercourse because our desire wanes and more care needs to be taken to interest us, as ourselves, rather than as a vessel to improve our other half’s ability, because, being touchy, that is how we are going to view it.!

All the things that a lot of women find important to make them still attractive to the opposite sex.
We get touchy over little things and look for ulterior motives perhaps when none are intended.

We feel perhaps that we no longer have a purpose in life anymore

Is it possible that your wife is a bit depressed with all that is changing in her life as well as coping with what is happening (or not in your case!) in yours.

Maybe she feels that you are not sympathetic to her feelings and appear interested in one thing.
As I said, we don’t know your circumstances or what life was like for both of you before this disease came along, but if you had previous problems then I would imagine Prostate cancer can only have exacerbated them

Your wife is unlikely to listen to a complete stranger regarding going to the doc for help.
There are temporarily helpful drugs to get over the worst of it.
Or there are natural remedies which really do help.
Evening primrose oil, soya etc.
Holland and Barretts have a wealth of supplements and can offer advice.

Time will take care of it, but that’s not much help to you right now is it.

Long post, sorry. Hope I haven't bored you. Just wanted to give the slant the other way.

Best Wishes
Sandra

User
Posted 17 Dec 2014 at 17:27

Six foot two,

I'm 6 months post op, I'm in similar postition, when I was diagnosed my main concern was survival, the rest was and is secondary, they tell me can take upto a few years to regain function, if at all, I'm not happy with that,

but I accept the deck of cards I've been dealt....there are worse hands out there, much worse, many of us read Bazza's recent post the road to uncertain certantity, (sorry i know its wrong but cant figure it out) I thought it was brilliant and took a lot of courage to write, I also think your probably having an off day ...we all do....its still early days hang on in there !

User
Posted 17 Dec 2014 at 18:09

Thanks for all the replies. Life in many respects is good, and in my position 40/50 years ago, the prospects would have been bleak, as I would not have been detected until it was too late.

My wife is very single minded and not open to change, However, we have raised 2 daughters who have achieved so much and we're so proud of them. We live very comfortably and enjoy going to concerts and the theatre, as well as having a mutual love of football. The golf club is also a great source of banter and fun, as well as enjoying the competitive element of the game.

Once Christmas is out of the way, I will be trying to rekindle her interest, and see how that goes. DIY gets boring after a while!

Stay Calm And Carry On.
User
Posted 17 Dec 2014 at 18:29

An excellent viewpoint, well made Sandra,

As empathetic as a man might be, we can not really understand all the intricacies of what a lady goes through at that time.  

FWIW I know of a few men for whom their sexuality or sex ability is the be all and end all.  I don't go with that view.  But, just because a man may have no need for being able to have sex now does not mean that he may not have a need later on?  And when Mrs SF2 gets through the MP she may desire some action.  Sorry, how to put that more subtly?   I am not even sure that is how one spells subtly?

It seems that either SF2 accepts that his love life with his wife is at an end, for now or indefinitely, or he goes it alone to preserve and improve what he can as and when he can in case Mrs SF2's interest is rekindled?  The issue for him is that if he does not do what he can now then 2 years down the line it may be too late? You may not be interested in driving at the moment but if you keep your car in the garage just in case you want told drive later you still turn it over every now and then to keep it running smoothly.  

It is a horrid situation to be in.  Would HRT help her?  And I don't mean just to get her interest going, I mean  generally?  I wonder if she would benefit from reading of some of the experiences of the ladies here?

Dave

User
Posted 17 Dec 2014 at 18:30

Good for you!! Have a good Christmas

User
Posted 17 Dec 2014 at 19:05

8 months post op, I sometimes feel a twinge down under, but nothing more.  Sildenafil (100mg) has had no effect - the only way I have had an erection is with a pump.  My question is to those of you who have been in this position and now get erections, 'What were the signs of their return and how long did it take?'  Thanks for any replies. 

Paul

Regarding your Cialis, I went to see my new GP today.  We discussed my past PC history and my current prescriptions. My new GP was surprised to learn that I have been on 5mg Cialis/Tdalafil a day since about June 2013, and that I get 8 x 50mg Viagra/Sildenafil every 28 days.  

His view was that Cialis is known as a "weekend" drug, and it does much the same as the Viagra.  This did concern me, and I wondered if he would put me on what may normally be prescribed?  Anyway, I explained the progress I had made and how I was relatively slow in my recovery, and what had been prescribed was obviously working for me, goodness only knows where I might be if I was on any less, and he agreed to keep my meds as they have been for the last 18 months.  

Might it be worth mentioning to your GP that a different meds regime has worked for someone you are aware of, and would they consider that as an option?  

Dave

Edited by member 17 Dec 2014 at 19:07  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 18 Dec 2014 at 00:45

User
Posted 18 Dec 2014 at 09:44

Oops!!

http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gifhttp://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif 

Sorry Lyn.

Obviously not all women  are the same, just like the men on here .

Fortunately I wasn't quite as bad as I portrayed but I know of others who suffered far far worse, and also one woman who didn't even notice it !

I just feel that sometimes our men lose sight of us as also suffering at the same time as them due to what our men are going through.

I suspect that some of us wives/partners bury our heads in the sand about ALL of it because the reality and fear of the future is so strong.

I'm lucky in a lot of ways because we talk all the time (well I do and John has to answer my questions just to shut me up).

It wasn't always like that and I wouldn't care to give the impression that our marriage is perfect or always has been. Fortyfive years brings a lot of ups and downs.

My menopause joy was a good few years ago but I could see myself feeling annoyed and put upon if what is happening now had happened then whilst I was going through it. I know that John was often bewildered by my apparent contrariness and I couldn't always explain just how I felt about life in general.

Anyway, if it's any consolation to you science can  help enormously or you could try the herbal route which I preferred (Didn't fancy taking female horse pee or the synthetic version of it)

I know it's not easy for some couples to talk about personal things, and when I reply to people on here I always seem to be harping on about it.

It's so easy for misunderstandings to happen if words aren't actually spoken. Even a loving gesture can be taken the wrong way if the other person has it fixed in their mind that the gesture isn't genuine but has an ulterior motive.

So, for any man following this thread, which I appear to have hijacked by  the way (Apologies), it's no good expecting the other half to know how you feel. We aren't psychic.

Sorry again for the rambling.

I'll get off my soapbox now.  http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif

User
Posted 18 Dec 2014 at 16:39

I am sure that many men find that at the time they need the most assistance with recovery, their partners are having their menopause. By the very nature of the typical ages of diagnosis, it must be common.

Even before the op, if i were even to slightly touch her in bed, I was asked not leave her alone due to her body heat! In regard to moods, I can't say I've noticed any difference. It's like treading on eggshells at times!

She also says it doesn't feel the same for her. All her insides, in her words, 'have dropped'.

Thanks, Sandra, for your explaining from a woman's point of view. I'm sure it will be useful for many men.

That you gave your hubby a nice surprise, Lyn, after he had his catheter removed, says much about you. My wife has never been intereseted in the numbers 6 or 9. She has never really been able to let herself go, and that is one of my biggest regrets in life.

However, I'm very lucky compared to many. Reading Steve's thread at the moment, and seeing so many of you ladies losing the loves of your lives hits home how much I should appreciate what I have.

Stay Calm And Carry On.
User
Posted 18 Dec 2014 at 20:59

[This post is held for moderation and will be reviewed by staff during working hours. Thank you for your patience.]

Edited by moderator 18 Dec 2014 at 23:09  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 18 Dec 2014 at 23:18

Mods you have a message regarding the post above. You will probably see that the email address for user named "misunderstood is the same for "THI" and later "MrsCountryboy55".

Regards

Dave

User
Posted 18 Dec 2014 at 23:47

Oh dear :-#

User
Posted 19 Dec 2014 at 00:04

Indeed Lyn.

Stalked.

Dave

User
Posted 19 Dec 2014 at 10:05

Yabadabadoo!!!!!

I told my good lady on Wednesday I would take a tablet last night.  Lo and behold, we had an intimate session, and double yabadabadoo, the tablet produced a mini (about 20/25%) erection.

I feel as though I am on my way to recovery, and if progress is like it was with the incontinence, then who knows where we'll be this time next year.http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif

Stay Calm And Carry On.
User
Posted 19 Dec 2014 at 11:46

Woohoo!

Absolutely excellent news SF2,

So pleased for you and MrsSF2.

Are you walking about with a huge grin on your face this morning?

Now you know it can happen, that anxiety is gone. And it just gets better and better. What a lovely result for you both.

ATB

Dave

User
Posted 19 Dec 2014 at 12:18

Yay!! Keep it up (Oh you know what I mean)
So pleased for you.
A VERY MERRY and ENJOYABLE Christmas to you and Mrs Sixfoot2

User
Posted 20 Dec 2014 at 19:07

William, four weeks post op isn't very long at all.

You might feel that it's long enough but your body is obviously saying it's been through sufficient trauma to make you wait. 30% at night 50% with stimulation ! Sounds exceptional from what I can gather from reading other men's experiences on here.

Cialis, as you know, promotes the blood flow. Does it also help with erections apart from stimulation blood flow? I can't remember whether you have been given Sildenafil (Viagra) too.

Hopefully someone with encouragement will pop up soon to reassure you.

Sandra

User
Posted 09 Jan 2015 at 12:34

More fun and games last night, after popping another pill!! We've certainly come a long way since I started this thread 25 days ago.

There was no response to my actions, but the old man certainly responded well, (much better than last time) to some stimulation from the OH. Not enough for intercourse, but still a significant response.

I still use the pump to get better erections and keep the blood flowing,, but to use it in the middle of foreplay would spoil the mood.

Things beginning to look up!

Stay Calm And Carry On.
User
Posted 09 Jan 2015 at 19:24
Sean had signs from about a month.We have worked hard at the rehabilitation and now,8 months later we have achieved 100%,but not every time.
User
Posted 09 Jan 2015 at 20:57

I love the 'we'! Sean is lucky to have a partner show that much interest. Still - i won't complain too much. There's plenty on here that are in a far worse place.

Paul

Stay Calm And Carry On.
User
Posted 10 Jan 2015 at 17:06

Hi SF2 haven't been on here for sometime, but have been reading your thread and see that you seem to be at a similar stage to my husband. He has tried Cialis and Viagra and seems that the later has given him the best results, not great but at least a response. He is dry now and only wears a pad for peace of mind and no longer goes out with his back pack which took a lot of persuading I can tell you, now though he doesn't even mention it. Hope things continue to improve for you. Take care.

Meg

User
Posted 10 Jan 2015 at 18:34

Rehab and recovery is a lonely and miserable endeavour if you are working at it alone. But can work! ;-)

The fact that there is a "we" in their working at it is lovely to read.

SF2, don't give up. You had a moment before Christmas with your good lady? Work at having some more. More lingerie*, more perfume, more oysters, more wandering about naked! Turn off the internet if she is an addict. :-0 Oh the angst......

Dave

* lingerie for her, but if it works for you as well?

User
Posted 10 Jan 2015 at 21:50
Well done again Paul. It does look like you are on the road to a good recovery.

Keep positive!

Best wishes.

User
Posted 09 Feb 2015 at 10:15

A few weeks since my last update. Unfortunately, my OH has had a chest infection, and was off work for a while, and even though she is back now, is nowhere near 100%.

Anyway, I had my first 100 mg sildenafil tablet in a while on Saturday. Sadly, a long coughing fit as soon as she got into bed put paid to any passion, so I was unable to find if there was any progress.

There are, however considerable side effects. I slept poorly feeling hot, I am left feeling head achy, and the effects lasted 24 hours.

One consolation, though. I played a really good game of golf on Sunday morning, which my OH says that was because no nooky the night before makes you play more aggressively.

I have been using the pump without the ring to exercise the old man, but although I sometimes feel there are stirrings down under, there is no sign of anything happening naturally.  I am now 10 months post op.

Edited by member 09 Feb 2015 at 10:18  | Reason: Not specified

Stay Calm And Carry On.
User
Posted 09 Feb 2015 at 13:28
Paul

I know that it must be incredibly frustrating for you and I feel a tiny bit gulity that some of your humour really makes me chuckle. I have visions of you bashing hell out of that golf ball and increasing your drive (golf not sex) by many yards.

Of course this Saturday is a very romantic occasion, I know some people say overplayed and far too gooey but speaking as a Lady (well female at least) I can truly say that unexpected romantic gestures are wonderful. A special little gift chosen for the personal link it has for your wife, a nice candle lit dinner with a good bottle of wine or champagne (actually a good Cava would do it for me) Download or rent a really good film not necessarily a romance just something that you will both enjoy ... snuggle up in front of a nice fire don't tell her you have popped a bluey (or whatever) and maybe the surprise of it all will help you both to relax. Taking things very slowly really can help maybe whisper encouragement and just let her know how very special she is.

I sometimes think Men misunderstand a lack of interest in the bedroom for a loss of love or atrraction when actually it is neither, just any number of silly things tiredness, losing a bit of self belief, worry or just a lack of sparkle. Fear of failure works both ways, I always think that is sad when the term is used in a sexual relationship as it should not be seen as failure, great love making does not have to reach mutual or even a one way climax.

I also recognise that people on the forum can often talk about their issues with others here and yet the one person they really could do with being able to talk with honestly, candidly and very definitely openly with is the one they are with. Don't get me wrong just being open enough to talk about it here is a fantastic start.

I have read this about 4 times now and have been thinking should I really post this. For me this is actually quite explicit as I am often bad at being really open to those still the closest to me.

oh well hit that button

xx

Mo

User
Posted 09 Feb 2015 at 13:34

Sixfoottwo

My op was two weeks after yours. 

I started my daily 100 mg sildenafil tablet on Friday, I was warned about headaches but so far just a slight muzziness. As regards the sleep, I am knackered, if I wake in the night I cannot get back to sleep, I have also turned the heating down a bit. I was ready Friday night but the OH had been rubbing Ralgex into her back so that was a passion killer.  Hoping tonight might see some serious stimulation from the OH. Still early days so no need to panic.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 09 Feb 2015 at 22:58

Anyway, I had my first 100 mg sildenafil tablet in a while on Saturday. Sadly, a long coughing fit as soon as she got into bed put paid to any passion, so I was unable to find if there was any progress.  WHY?  HAVE YOU LOST THE USE OF YOUR HANDS?  DO NOT WASTE A TABLET MATEY.  ;-)  SOMEONE SHOULD RE-RECORD THAT BAZ LUHRMANN TRACK "WEAR SUNSCREEN" for those recovering from PCa surgery, with "WANK".  SERIOUSLY. 

There are, however considerable side effects. I slept poorly feeling hot, I am left feeling head achy, and the effects lasted 24 hours.  HAD SIMILAR.  TOOK PAINKILLERS.  WORKED THROUGH IT.  GLAD I DID.  WILLY's WORKING AGAIN.  GLAD I DID WORK THROUGH IT.  PERSEVERE.  IT MAY BE WORTH IT?

One consolation, though. I played a really good game of golf on Sunday morning, which my OH says that was because no nooky the night before makes you play more aggressively.  KNOW WHICH I WOULD PREFER!  

I have been using the pump without the ring to exercise the old man, but although I sometimes feel there are stirrings down under, there is no sign of anything happening naturally.  I am now 10 months post op.  STILL VERY EARLY DAYS.    FRET THEE NOT.  

good luck, be patient with yourself, it may take up to 2 years to get where your recovery will be and then still improve after that time.   All you an do is play aroud and experiment with the meds, with places, with times. 

And, most importantly of all, be understanding of and make allowances for your partner, it is a tough journey for her as well.

atb

dave

User
Posted 10 Feb 2015 at 16:24

Thanks for the replies. Mo - I'm glad you enjoy my humour. In fact to play golf well, you have to be relaxed, smooth of swing and in control. My OH is trying to compare golf to football or rugby, where a different mind set is needed!

I am not overly worried about progress at the moment. Dave - you suggested using my hands - the way my OH was coughing continuously, there was no way I could have even concentrated on that. In regards of which you'd prefer, let me put it like this. A good bonk would probably be over, even with foreplay in 30 minutes. A game of golf in the winter lasts 3 hours, and 4 in the summer, as we play even more holes.

I used the pump with a ring on my own this morning, but I can't get a full erection as I can without a ring. Maybe I was using a ring size too small, as it was also holding the foreskin back, so it wasn't particularly successful. I'll try a larger size next time.

Paul

Stay Calm And Carry On.
User
Posted 10 Feb 2015 at 16:51

A good bonk would probably be over, even with foreplay in 30 minutes. 

Paul

LOL if you are can do it 3 x  in a row go for it?  several minutes foreplay including getting through the front door, putting hat and coat away, checking answerphone messages, checking emails, letting dog or cat out, putting kettle of water on to boil, 1 minute engaging with the enemy, and 4 minutes to make and drink the coffee or tea for the kettle that has just boiled.  Result.   http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif

Dave

User
Posted 10 Feb 2015 at 23:58

30 minutes!!!! Wow - respect.

Why are you bothering with the rings on your own?

If it loses firmness immediately then likely to be your technique in breaking the vacuum & transferring the rings over. If it droops slowly try combinations of two rings.

User
Posted 11 Feb 2015 at 09:13

30 minutes!!!! Wow - respect.

Why are you bothering with the rings on your own?

If it loses firmness immediately then likely to be your technique in breaking the vacuum & transferring the rings over. If it droops slowly try combinations of two rings.

Do you get a good seal for the vacuum effect to happen?  Are you shaving at the base of the tube to stop hair interfering with the vacuum?

You do not need the expensive branded lubricant to get a seal, spit works quote well.

Dave

User
Posted 20 Feb 2015 at 13:18

Another tablet yesterday, and a hand job from the OH brought about the best results yet, I'd say over 50%, so things are definitely on the up! Unfortunately, neither foreplay or any mental stimulation hasn't any kind of effect on the old man as of yet.

I can't say I enjoy waking up with a headache resulting from the sildenafil, but it is bearable. I have found recent orgasms to be disappointing, too. They've been nowhere near as strong as some experienced last year.

I'm not getting too downhearted, though. I have been playing some pretty decent golf this year, so am looking forward to the new summer season. We have to count our blessingd. A member, 1 year younger than myself, died on the course last Sunday, and even though it was on the last hole, the new defibrillator could not help save him. The stories on here make me even more determined to enjoy life whilst I still have the health to do so!

Stay Calm And Carry On.
User
Posted 28 Apr 2015 at 09:21

Although I've been feeling sensations recently in the undercarriage, there is still no sign of anything taking off. There has been no significant improvement in the effect of sildenafil, either. Mentally, I am coping well with the situation, but as always with these things, I have to remain patient. Knowing that Lyn's hubby took 3 years means I can still hold out hope.

As I keep saying, I still feel blessed and am enjoying life in general more than ever.

Paul

Stay Calm And Carry On.
User
Posted 28 Apr 2015 at 17:38

Hi sf2, ask the GP or ED nurse for a prescription for Levitra - it works slightly differently to Viagra and may just be the kick start you need. Or maybe you need to buy some of those extra TV channels that need a PIN number to whet your appetite 🙈
Tablets won't work if you are not feeling like a sexy beast!

User
Posted 28 Apr 2015 at 18:07

Thanks, Lyn

I have been feeling more in the mood lately. My OH retires on Thursday, so I am hoping for some relaxing afternoons in the near future. http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif

I shall be going to see my GP in a couple of weeks - I shall mention your advice. If my other half thought I was watching some extra curricula programmes, she would hit the roof. Not worth it!!!! I am sure I'll get there with patience and the right encouragement.

Paul

Stay Calm And Carry On.
User
Posted 28 Apr 2015 at 18:57
Paul

I am so sorry you are having such a troubling time. It does sound like some of your issues may be made worse by an inability to communicate comfortably and with a degree of confidence with your OH, or worse still a lack of some concern on her part for what could be at stake.

It might be that she is a little scared or inhibited or that she has just lost her own desire for 9ne reason or another, we women are complex creatures!

Maybe once she has retired and can probably relax with more time on her hands you will be able to start romancing her once again and you can start to work through this as a couple.

Best wishes

Xx

Mo

User
Posted 28 Apr 2015 at 19:11

Eugh! The mental image of sf2 romancing is more than I can bear in early evening. John has a fixation at the moment with afternoons ..... I want it nice and dark so the wrinkles don't show 👵

User
Posted 28 Apr 2015 at 19:23

Mo

She's never had a high sex drive, and she is very inhibited. She has never been interested in anything the slightest bit kinky, which I have found frustrating but learned to accept. To be fair, I had a very innocent upbringing, and was a very shy teenager, so didn't get up to things many youngsters do!!

I don't beat myself up about it as I have many things in my life to be grateful for. There are many people in this world who would love to be in my position - good home, fantastic kids, 3 of our parents still alive and doing better than anyone could reasonably expect, financially secure, and am able to spend a lot of time doing things that bring great pleasure such as the theatre and concerts. (We love the Royal Exchange and Bridgewater Hall.)

I have my golf on top of that, so I have nothing to let me feel down too much.

My posts really are there to help others in a similar position. If I have the confidence to post my experiences and they help anyone to understand the consequences and emotional impact of PCa, ( I try to be as positive as I can), then it is worthwhile.

Paul

Stay Calm And Carry On.
User
Posted 30 Apr 2015 at 21:10
Paul

I am getting some success with Sildenafil the only side effect is the stuffed up feeling. I have been away for a couple of days and missed my tablets, last night I had mushrooms in garlic butter with a cheese sauce followed by a ham and pineapple pizza accompanied with a G & T and woke up with a sizeable erection and sadly the wife was 170 miles away. Any explanations ?

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 30 Apr 2015 at 21:49

Paul

Thanks Chris

Yep - the wife was 170 miles away.  I think it's called Sod's Law!!http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif

Thanks for the laugh, which your post gave me.  My husband also gets the sniffles and a  bit of a flushed face but fortunately nothing too dramatic other than that.

Unfortunately he doesn't eat mushrooms, garlic, cheese sauce or ham and pineapple so I can't experiment http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif

User
Posted 01 May 2015 at 00:01

Mo

She's never had a high sex drive,

she is very inhibited.

She has never been interested in anything the slightest bit kinky

I had a very innocent upbringing, and was a very shy teenager,

so (you) didn't get up to things many youngsters do!!

Have you and she talked about how you feel, how you both may feel?  How do you know that she does not feel equally sexually frustrated?

Would she talk to you about this matter, if you gave her a chance?

Have you considered you both attending Relate?

Many years ago, around 1976 I got a book, 2 actually, from my library, by Alex Comfort., JOS 1 and JOS2  It taught me a lot and led to a lifetime of fun and games.  I feel sad for those who do not experience the free without a licence and anytime any place anywhere fun that can be had between adults, what a lot you are both missing out on.

Worth talking bout?

dave

I am the statistic.

User
Posted 01 May 2015 at 00:19

Chris

Sod's law, definitely! I hope it wasn't wasted!

I don't suffer from sniffles, and although after the first few tablets, I woke up with a slight headache the next day, that seems to have stopped now. I do feel flush though about 30 mins after taking one.

Dave - today was her last day at work, and when we got home I observed we would be able to enjoy ourselves in the afternoons on occasions, and got a knowing look. Let's see what develops!

Paul

Stay Calm And Carry On.