I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Male sling

User
Posted 14 Mar 2016 at 15:49
Hi all my name is John I had my prostate removed approximately two years ago and have suffered from stress incontinence ever since along with the obvious and dreaded ED !! I was recommended that I should consider the male sling to help me with my stress incontinence I'm about to have this surgery approximately two weeks from now but I am concerned as to its success, they tell me I have an 85% chance of being completely dry ?? Is there anyone out there who has undergone this surgery and can give me any information that would help me confirm my decision to go ahead πŸ™πŸ»πŸ˜©πŸ’¦ My stress incontinence seems to have a mind of it's own sometimes I'm fine if I cough sneeze or move then other times I can have some leakage it's really frustrating that I have to constantly think of this disability I am only 54 now and have an active life and an active job so this is hindering me somewhat please get back to me if you know or have had anything to do with the male sling thank you John
User
Posted 15 Mar 2016 at 15:42

Here are a couple of examples of the experience of men who have had a sling implanted at the Birmingham Prostate Clinic (that's the UK Birmingham by the way).

http://www.birminghamprostateclinic.co.uk/2014/01/02/male-sling-testimonial-andrew-richards/

http://www.birminghamprostateclinic.co.uk/2014/01/02/male-sling-testimonial-peter-lewis/

Tony

TURP then LRP in 2009/2010. Lots of leakage but PSA < 0.1 AMS-800 Artificial Sphincter activated 2015.

User
Posted 30 Mar 2016 at 12:19
I'm being told there's an 85% chance of being dry I to was on the cusp only a few mills a day and as I've said on here before it's not the physical effects it's the mental stress that impacts on my life and family if it works it's one thing dealt with if not I haven't been made worse the tapes can be removed or split as a last resort the procedure is very successful in women and I agree I could have done with more info which is unnerving but nothing ventured nothing gained (I hope ) Jk
User
Posted 09 Apr 2016 at 16:53
Hi my previous leakage varied I wouldn't know but I guess 5-15mls per day but I'm still a young man also when I had a beer or two it just seemed to relax my urethral sphincter so that it was a constant dribble I could go through 3 pads on an evening out with my wife also I still work and I'm a builder so it would vary on what I was found at work...the procedure is for light leakage only and I think at my age it's a marvellous option ..
User
Posted 14 Mar 2016 at 23:02

I didn't want to rush in with a reply because mine only worked for a short time (but it DID work) and I was hoping for someone else to have had a "success" story. Your surgeon should have statistics showing his/her success rate and may be able to quote personal stories of previous sling recipients. Note however that the sling and even an AUS have their limitations. They have a certain "envelope" of movement within which they are fine, but leaks are still possible outside that envelope, e.g. when stretching to paint a wall or lifting heavy objects. What these appliances do though is to remove that awful gloom of always having to consider the effect on incontinence before doing anything.

In the unlikely event of the sling not working, an AUS is still an option, and those definitely do work.

Tony

TURP then LRP in 2009/2010. Lots of leakage but PSA < 0.1 AMS-800 Artificial Sphincter activated 2015.

User
Posted 14 Mar 2016 at 23:28
John

How much are you leaking and how often ? What were you like post op and has there been an improvement since the op.

It may not be practical in your job but have you considered the sheath system, I used this for a while and it helped with bladder retraining ?

Following several operations and 90 days of catheterisation I was left incontinent in Nov 2015. The last few weeks have seen a vast improvement diwn to 1ml some days,but today has seen a set back, that may be due to a change in my routine today.

I looked into the sling and AUS and saw that there is an adjustable sling option which sounded interesting. I am hoping not to need either but we shall have to wait and see.

I was advised to stop thinking about incontinence and get on with life, whist I appreciate that after two years you would expect things to be better perhaps a different mind set might help.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 15 Mar 2016 at 13:58

Hi John,

I'm still suffering with stress incontinence ( mainly when walking the dogs  )  at 21 months post RP.... ( 1 pad per day )

Although I'm still  hopeful that I will see further improvement in time, I too am considering the possibility of a sling implant in the future...

At the moment I'm reluctant to proceed any further, and am not totally convinced that this is the best course of action for me at present.

With the exception of  'tonypw' who has already replied with his advice and personal experience, I'm not aware of anyone else on here who has had that procedure..

Not sure what the stats say about success rates..... obviously all surgery carries risks and I'm anxious that things are not made worse..

This is just my personal take on things and you should not let this influence your decision in any way.

Like you, I would be very interested to hear from anyone who has had success with this procedure and is now dry..... and by 'dry' I mean dry... without the need for pads of any kind...

Best wishes
Luther

User
Posted 15 Mar 2016 at 16:06

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Here are a couple of examples of the experience of men who have had a sling implanted at the Birmingham Prostate Clinic (that's the UK Birmingham by the way).

http://www.birminghamprostateclinic.co.uk/2014/01/02/male-sling-testimonial-andrew-richards/

http://www.birminghamprostateclinic.co.uk/2014/01/02/male-sling-testimonial-peter-lewis/

Thanks for those links Tony....

50/50 result on those two accounts ... ie one with 'improved' continence ( but still leaking ) and one stating 100% continence...

Pretty much down to how bad things are to begin with as to whether you want to go ahead with the procedure or not I suspect.

On a personal level, my thinking, ( although it may be flawed ) is if I still need to use a pad after the sling implant then it will be of no benefit to me as I only use one pad a day in any case...

Apologies to John for ' hi- jacking' his thread...http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif

Luther

User
Posted 30 Mar 2016 at 06:12
Hello all re mail sling

I had the procedure yesterday 29/03/16 by Mr Terry and Mr Ria at Leicester General

I woke from the surgery feeling as you do but nothing to bad...there is a large amount o padding between my legs just below the scrotum where the site wound is ... Everything is quite bruised down there and swollen there are no puncture winds to my stomach which they said there would be ?? But can't say I'm unhappy about that .

Morphine paracetamol and codeine are keeping the pain in control and I have been carheritised.

It's the morning after (30/3) and I haven't sleep too well mainly due to the sleeping position as I can't turn and have been flat on my back since surgery mobleasation today..also the obligatory "waking dead" patients have kept me awake lol seems to be a running theme where ever I have treatment.

It looks like a 2 night stop in here so I'll ask for some stronger sleeping medication for tonight........ My main worry at the moment is of the "tapes" being too tight as I being hard to pee when the catheter is removed ...the thought of "self catheterisation " frightens me to death at my age...well over and out for now more to follow thanks all πŸ‘πŸΌπŸ™ˆ

User
Posted 30 Mar 2016 at 09:07

Just wanted to wish you a speedy recovery Fire and best wishes for a successful outcome

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 05 Apr 2016 at 13:45
Hi all I had my mail sling fitted last Tuesday, 29 April so we are a week on now, I woke to find I had a catheter fitted which is normal for the procedure ...quite sore where the incision was and a very swollen scrotum ( talking grapefruit size lol ) I had a 2 night stay at Leicester General under the care of Mr Ria my surgeon, who said things had gone well, and the catheter would come out after the first 24 hours, then we would see if I could empty my bladder on my own.

Initially my hopes were high when the catheter had been removed, I went to the loo for my first pee and although the flow had reduced (as explained and expected) and was pain free we found I could only pass approx 100mls leaving some 250-350 mls in my bladder I must have peeed in at least 6 bottles and had bladder scans afterwards but still I couldn't empty,....they wanted a residual of 0 to 100/150mls ......the decision was to re catheterise me to my disappointment !! So I have been sent home to return on Thursday 7th to have the catheter removed and to see if everything has settled down to allow me to empty my bladder sufficiently.......Iam hopeful as I have been measuring my voids and they do seen to be around the 250/300 mls I know this is with the catheter in but I am also bypassing it so I feel I have the ability to achieve the "pass" test lol Now the bad news if I can't empty my bladder I've been told I have to "self catheterise " which at 54 I'm dreading so wish me well folks !!!!!

Pain wise post surgery is really good usual pinch from the stitches and a couple of nights discomfort but I'm really surprised considering where the incision site.

See you all Thursday finger Xd all goes well πŸ‘πŸ€“

User
Posted 05 Apr 2016 at 14:23

Hi again FBlade,

Thanks for keeping us all up to date with your progress.......Hopefully things will settle and you won't need to self catheterise at all.

This was one of the potential problems that was explained to me... but I've read members comments on here who say it's not as daunting as it sounds...... ( not sure if I fancy doing it though )

Maybe 'things' are still swollen around the urethra which is restricting the flow and preventing complete emptying of the bladder for the time being?

I'm not sure if it's an exact science in judging how tight to fix the sling in the first place, or is it just down to the surgeon's experience?

You are providing me with a useful insight of what I might expect if I go ahead with a similar procedure so I'm grateful that you are giving these honest updates.

Everything crossed that all goes well for you on Thursday.

Best wishes
Luther

Edited by member 05 Apr 2016 at 16:25  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 06 Apr 2016 at 22:02

Oh, sorry. Sling operation and self-catheterisation were separated by about four years. For me, the sling worked beautifully at first, and for the next six to eight months. However, something caused it to slacken off (maybe the inguinal hernia I had repaired around this time).

Four years or so later, the leakage was bad enough to justify an AUS, but I had to have a stricture repaired first. The self-catheterisation was to keep the stricture open until it had healed.

On reflection, I should have opted for the AUS instead of the sling, but I was hoping that I might still see more of an improvement in my own sphincter control. Also as an ex-engineer, a solution with zero moving parts as opposed to three in the AUS appealed.

Tony

User
Posted 09 Apr 2016 at 11:35

That's really good news JK!

So pleased things are working out for you.

Not only that, but it has given me, and others like me who may be considering having this procedure encouragement also.

Once again, many thanks for the update.

Luther

User
Posted 09 Apr 2016 at 16:31

Great news, JK. Well done.

User
Posted 09 Apr 2016 at 17:25

I'm 65 in May JK..

Although I've been retired  for almost 7 years now, I'm still an active 65.......so I can understand how being dry is very important to someone as young as you are.

Like you, I too enjoy a beer...or two....or three http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif..

Unfortunately alcohol does act as a 'relaxant' and so we do leak more when partaking in a 'few' 

If I wanted to sit and do nothing all day my leakage would be minimal, but I have no intention of living like that, so I'm pretty much decided that in August if 'things ' are favourable, I too will be asking for a referral..

I feel that after almost 2 years I have given recovery of continence my best shot, and so will be prepared to take the next step ( with associated risks )  in trying to improve my QOL...

Luther

User
Posted 09 Apr 2016 at 18:08
I'm 65 in May JK..

If I wanted to sit and do nothing all day my leakage would be minimal,

Luther

Ours stats and journeys are similar in may ways.

How strange incontinence can be, I walk the dog twice a day about 3 miles in the morning 1.5 in the evening, I kick his ball, bend down to pick up his pooh, no leaks, I leak when I am sitting down usually because I twist or bend and I leak about 1ml in the night.

Since going onto daily sildeafil my incontinence improved and I have not done a PFE since mid Jan.

Fire thanks for the reply.

Wish you both well with your recovery.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 09 Apr 2016 at 18:25

I'm 65 in May JK..

Luther

How strange incontinence can be, I walk the dog twice a day about 3 miles in the morning 1.5 in the evening, I kick his ball, bend down to pick up his pooh, no leaks, I leak when I am sitting down usually because I twist or bend and I leak about 1ml in the night.

Since going onto daily sildeafil my incontinence improved and I have not done a PFE since mid Jan.

Thanks Chris

Yep Chris...

There appears to be no rhyme or reason why we all vary with our respective continence issues ..

I did read somewhere that size of the prostate, PSA level, extent of tumours(s) within prostate, or even G score has no bearing on how well we will recover continence after a RP...... even the surgeons themselves are unable to predict possible outcomes..
Luther

Edited by member 09 Apr 2016 at 18:37  | Reason: Not specified

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 14 Mar 2016 at 18:26

Hi Fireblade,
there are a couple of people here that have had this op - hopefully Tonypw or one of the others will be along any minute to share their experiences with you or you can read Tony's story here http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t11152-Artificial-Sphincter--AUS----Diary-of-experiences#post136851

You might also find this one helpful http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t11174-Incontinence-1-year-on-after-a-radical-prostatectomy#post142583

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 14 Mar 2016 at 23:02

I didn't want to rush in with a reply because mine only worked for a short time (but it DID work) and I was hoping for someone else to have had a "success" story. Your surgeon should have statistics showing his/her success rate and may be able to quote personal stories of previous sling recipients. Note however that the sling and even an AUS have their limitations. They have a certain "envelope" of movement within which they are fine, but leaks are still possible outside that envelope, e.g. when stretching to paint a wall or lifting heavy objects. What these appliances do though is to remove that awful gloom of always having to consider the effect on incontinence before doing anything.

In the unlikely event of the sling not working, an AUS is still an option, and those definitely do work.

Tony

User
Posted 14 Mar 2016 at 23:28
John

How much are you leaking and how often ? What were you like post op and has there been an improvement since the op.

It may not be practical in your job but have you considered the sheath system, I used this for a while and it helped with bladder retraining ?

Following several operations and 90 days of catheterisation I was left incontinent in Nov 2015. The last few weeks have seen a vast improvement diwn to 1ml some days,but today has seen a set back, that may be due to a change in my routine today.

I looked into the sling and AUS and saw that there is an adjustable sling option which sounded interesting. I am hoping not to need either but we shall have to wait and see.

I was advised to stop thinking about incontinence and get on with life, whist I appreciate that after two years you would expect things to be better perhaps a different mind set might help.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 15 Mar 2016 at 13:58

Hi John,

I'm still suffering with stress incontinence ( mainly when walking the dogs  )  at 21 months post RP.... ( 1 pad per day )

Although I'm still  hopeful that I will see further improvement in time, I too am considering the possibility of a sling implant in the future...

At the moment I'm reluctant to proceed any further, and am not totally convinced that this is the best course of action for me at present.

With the exception of  'tonypw' who has already replied with his advice and personal experience, I'm not aware of anyone else on here who has had that procedure..

Not sure what the stats say about success rates..... obviously all surgery carries risks and I'm anxious that things are not made worse..

This is just my personal take on things and you should not let this influence your decision in any way.

Like you, I would be very interested to hear from anyone who has had success with this procedure and is now dry..... and by 'dry' I mean dry... without the need for pads of any kind...

Best wishes
Luther

User
Posted 15 Mar 2016 at 15:42

Tony

User
Posted 15 Mar 2016 at 16:06

Thanks for those links Tony....

50/50 result on those two accounts ... ie one with 'improved' continence ( but still leaking ) and one stating 100% continence...

Pretty much down to how bad things are to begin with as to whether you want to go ahead with the procedure or not I suspect.

On a personal level, my thinking, ( although it may be flawed ) is if I still need to use a pad after the sling implant then it will be of no benefit to me as I only use one pad a day in any case...

Apologies to John for ' hi- jacking' his thread...http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif

Luther

User
Posted 15 Mar 2016 at 19:37

Thank you all for your input..I am still apprehensive about this procedure but I must trusting the surgeons in this one and although I too only use one pad a day it can be more if I try to enjoy myself ie dance (dad dance not ballroom lol) or if I have a few beers or any kind of exercise/gym work. Im really worried that it will not work but Ive got to take any chance I can to try to be dry...I havev heard stories of men being dry some 4 weeks after the Prostatectomy I had hoped Id be the same but no..if (fingers xd) it does work Il'l let you all know Tia John πŸ‘πŸΌ

Edited by member 15 Mar 2016 at 19:42  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 30 Mar 2016 at 06:12
Hello all re mail sling

I had the procedure yesterday 29/03/16 by Mr Terry and Mr Ria at Leicester General

I woke from the surgery feeling as you do but nothing to bad...there is a large amount o padding between my legs just below the scrotum where the site wound is ... Everything is quite bruised down there and swollen there are no puncture winds to my stomach which they said there would be ?? But can't say I'm unhappy about that .

Morphine paracetamol and codeine are keeping the pain in control and I have been carheritised.

It's the morning after (30/3) and I haven't sleep too well mainly due to the sleeping position as I can't turn and have been flat on my back since surgery mobleasation today..also the obligatory "waking dead" patients have kept me awake lol seems to be a running theme where ever I have treatment.

It looks like a 2 night stop in here so I'll ask for some stronger sleeping medication for tonight........ My main worry at the moment is of the "tapes" being too tight as I being hard to pee when the catheter is removed ...the thought of "self catheterisation " frightens me to death at my age...well over and out for now more to follow thanks all πŸ‘πŸΌπŸ™ˆ

User
Posted 30 Mar 2016 at 07:44
Fire

I suspect there will be a few who will follow your progress with much interest.

I Know what you mean about noise in hospitals, they issue earplugs on request in our local hospital.

There are quite a few of us on here who have done self catheterisation, it sounds worse than it is, you just need to be relaxed and it will soon just become part of your routine.

I wish you well with your recovery and keep us informed of your progress.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 30 Mar 2016 at 07:54
Thanks for your reply have you had sling surgery ?? Tia
User
Posted 30 Mar 2016 at 07:55

Hi Fire

The worst is over. Try lying on your left side (if there is enough slack in the wires and tubes you are attached to) - keeps the dreaded wind at bay.

Tony

User
Posted 30 Mar 2016 at 09:07

Just wanted to wish you a speedy recovery Fire and best wishes for a successful outcome

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 30 Mar 2016 at 09:14
Thanks for your reply have you had sling surgery ?? Tia

No, not had sling surgery and hoping not to as things are improving but it was discussed with my consultant a few weeks ago.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 30 Mar 2016 at 10:39

Hi Fire..

Thanks for the update ....I hope your recovery goes well and according to plan.

I for one will be very interested in following your progress as I may well be asking for a referral / investigation in August for possibly a similar procedure.

I'm currently dithering in the hope that things will still improve, although my guess is that is not likely now at 21 months post op....

I can't seem to find much in the way of reliable independent hard facts about success rates for this procedure which is deterring me somewhat. 

Maybe when / if I speak to the main man who performs this op he will be able to enlighten me further... 

Best Wishes 
Luther

User
Posted 30 Mar 2016 at 12:19
I'm being told there's an 85% chance of being dry I to was on the cusp only a few mills a day and as I've said on here before it's not the physical effects it's the mental stress that impacts on my life and family if it works it's one thing dealt with if not I haven't been made worse the tapes can be removed or split as a last resort the procedure is very successful in women and I agree I could have done with more info which is unnerving but nothing ventured nothing gained (I hope ) Jk
User
Posted 05 Apr 2016 at 13:45
Hi all I had my mail sling fitted last Tuesday, 29 April so we are a week on now, I woke to find I had a catheter fitted which is normal for the procedure ...quite sore where the incision was and a very swollen scrotum ( talking grapefruit size lol ) I had a 2 night stay at Leicester General under the care of Mr Ria my surgeon, who said things had gone well, and the catheter would come out after the first 24 hours, then we would see if I could empty my bladder on my own.

Initially my hopes were high when the catheter had been removed, I went to the loo for my first pee and although the flow had reduced (as explained and expected) and was pain free we found I could only pass approx 100mls leaving some 250-350 mls in my bladder I must have peeed in at least 6 bottles and had bladder scans afterwards but still I couldn't empty,....they wanted a residual of 0 to 100/150mls ......the decision was to re catheterise me to my disappointment !! So I have been sent home to return on Thursday 7th to have the catheter removed and to see if everything has settled down to allow me to empty my bladder sufficiently.......Iam hopeful as I have been measuring my voids and they do seen to be around the 250/300 mls I know this is with the catheter in but I am also bypassing it so I feel I have the ability to achieve the "pass" test lol Now the bad news if I can't empty my bladder I've been told I have to "self catheterise " which at 54 I'm dreading so wish me well folks !!!!!

Pain wise post surgery is really good usual pinch from the stitches and a couple of nights discomfort but I'm really surprised considering where the incision site.

See you all Thursday finger Xd all goes well πŸ‘πŸ€“

User
Posted 05 Apr 2016 at 14:23

Hi again FBlade,

Thanks for keeping us all up to date with your progress.......Hopefully things will settle and you won't need to self catheterise at all.

This was one of the potential problems that was explained to me... but I've read members comments on here who say it's not as daunting as it sounds...... ( not sure if I fancy doing it though )

Maybe 'things' are still swollen around the urethra which is restricting the flow and preventing complete emptying of the bladder for the time being?

I'm not sure if it's an exact science in judging how tight to fix the sling in the first place, or is it just down to the surgeon's experience?

You are providing me with a useful insight of what I might expect if I go ahead with a similar procedure so I'm grateful that you are giving these honest updates.

Everything crossed that all goes well for you on Thursday.

Best wishes
Luther

Edited by member 05 Apr 2016 at 16:25  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 05 Apr 2016 at 16:17
Fire

As L says good to keep us potentials upto speed. I seem to be stuck between 0 and 5 ml leak a day. ISC will be a breeze compared to the OP.

At my TWOC post ops I was told not to drink the water too fast and obviously not to get over anxious.

Hope all goes better Thursday.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 05 Apr 2016 at 22:09

FBlade

I was lucky to have very little swelling after my sling op so when my catheter was removed, the sling worked immediately and I had zero retention. I think give the swelling a few weeks to subside, then see how you go.

Honest, self-catheterisation is no big deal. The worst bit for me was having a nurse half my age showing me how.

Tony

User
Posted 06 Apr 2016 at 17:21

Hi I'm slightly confused you say you've had the sling done and things are finewith zero retention but then you say you have to self cathaterize ? And I further read that you also have had an artificial sphincter ? Am I missing some thing ?? Sorry if I've got confused πŸ€“

User
Posted 06 Apr 2016 at 19:30
Fire

Self catheterisation takes two forms ISC and ISD. ISC is normally to drain urine from the bladder and intermittent self dilatation is to stretch or keep the urethral passage open.

Sure Tw will be on to explain what he did.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 06 Apr 2016 at 22:02

Oh, sorry. Sling operation and self-catheterisation were separated by about four years. For me, the sling worked beautifully at first, and for the next six to eight months. However, something caused it to slacken off (maybe the inguinal hernia I had repaired around this time).

Four years or so later, the leakage was bad enough to justify an AUS, but I had to have a stricture repaired first. The self-catheterisation was to keep the stricture open until it had healed.

On reflection, I should have opted for the AUS instead of the sling, but I was hoping that I might still see more of an improvement in my own sphincter control. Also as an ex-engineer, a solution with zero moving parts as opposed to three in the AUS appealed.

Tony

User
Posted 09 Apr 2016 at 11:08

Well all its been 3 days since I had the catheter out ......I had to show that I could empty my bladder at least 3 times which I did with residuals of between 0 - 64mls which was great so no self catheterising for me !!!!!! Go me !!!!! Yes my void flow is less and I have to "push" to empty but the results are immediate,,,I'm DRY !!!!! For the first time in 2 yrs totally pad free ...I'm so happy it has lifted my mood no end as I've said it wasn't so much of a physical problem it was more of a mental problem. I feel complete again for me it's a game changer.... I know that I can confidently stride out without dribbles and drips !!!! And I'm sure that as soon as I can start "relations" with the wife it will be with confidence and not worrying if I'm going to dribble at an inappropriate time !!! Pain wise I still sit on a cushion but I've only had nurofen on two occasions since leaving the hospital I'm really surprised at that as I had been told it was worse than child birth lol !!!! The stitches do scratch but they are dissolvable so that should ease soon.
Ok all thanks for your kind words and support if anything else happens I'll let you know take care and bye for now JK

User
Posted 09 Apr 2016 at 11:35

That's really good news JK!

So pleased things are working out for you.

Not only that, but it has given me, and others like me who may be considering having this procedure encouragement also.

Once again, many thanks for the update.

Luther

User
Posted 09 Apr 2016 at 12:03

Absolutely brilliant. There is no feeling as good as not leaking.....

Tony

User
Posted 09 Apr 2016 at 13:27
Fire

Really pleased to hear that your sling is upto your expectations. I will be interested to see how you progress.

Not sure if my leaks of 5 MLS a day warrant having the OP and based on last year's disasters a bit apprehensive about having more ops.

I know you used 1 pad per day pre op but do you know how much you leaked ?

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 09 Apr 2016 at 16:31

Great news, JK. Well done.

User
Posted 09 Apr 2016 at 16:53
Hi my previous leakage varied I wouldn't know but I guess 5-15mls per day but I'm still a young man also when I had a beer or two it just seemed to relax my urethral sphincter so that it was a constant dribble I could go through 3 pads on an evening out with my wife also I still work and I'm a builder so it would vary on what I was found at work...the procedure is for light leakage only and I think at my age it's a marvellous option ..
User
Posted 09 Apr 2016 at 17:25

I'm 65 in May JK..

Although I've been retired  for almost 7 years now, I'm still an active 65.......so I can understand how being dry is very important to someone as young as you are.

Like you, I too enjoy a beer...or two....or three http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif..

Unfortunately alcohol does act as a 'relaxant' and so we do leak more when partaking in a 'few' 

If I wanted to sit and do nothing all day my leakage would be minimal, but I have no intention of living like that, so I'm pretty much decided that in August if 'things ' are favourable, I too will be asking for a referral..

I feel that after almost 2 years I have given recovery of continence my best shot, and so will be prepared to take the next step ( with associated risks )  in trying to improve my QOL...

Luther

User
Posted 09 Apr 2016 at 18:08
I'm 65 in May JK..

Luther

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 09 Apr 2016 at 18:25

I'm 65 in May JK..

Luther

Thanks Chris

Yep Chris...

There appears to be no rhyme or reason why we all vary with our respective continence issues ..

I did read somewhere that size of the prostate, PSA level, extent of tumours(s) within prostate, or even G score has no bearing on how well we will recover continence after a RP...... even the surgeons themselves are unable to predict possible outcomes..
Luther

Edited by member 09 Apr 2016 at 18:37  | Reason: Not specified