I'll raise a glass for you tonight Steve

Cheers!

๐Ÿบ๐Ÿบ

Arthur

Edited by member 25 Aug 2016 at 07:30  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 24 Aug 2016 at 19:55

Steve

Good to reach a goal, it has been an eventful couple of years, lets hope the next couple are less eventful.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 24 Aug 2016 at 20:04

You've been through so much Steve. I'm sure the future will be brighter and more relaxed. All the best

User
Posted 24 Aug 2016 at 20:43

Enjoy your pint Steve. Nice evening for it.

Kevin

User
Posted 24 Aug 2016 at 21:42
Well done Steve...

A pint or two well deserved!

KRO...

User
Posted 25 Aug 2016 at 07:34
Hi Steve at last you have reached your target date. I really hope you had a great evening and had a pint or two with no hangover today ๐Ÿ˜Š
User
Posted 25 Aug 2016 at 08:23

STEVE,
Your inbox is full !!!!

Edited by member 25 Aug 2016 at 11:17  | Reason: Not specified

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 26 Aug 2016 at 00:26
Hi,

Thank you for all your messages.

I had another very special day today as we went toour youngest daughter's school to find out her GCSE results. She did really well. I'm so proud of her achieving outstanding results, especially with all she's had to cope with in the last two years.

Had a good time at our local prostatecancer support group's Summer Social on Wednesday evening, I even won a nice raffle prize which hasn't happened for as least twenty years.

So a pretty special week.

Steve

Edited by member 26 Aug 2016 at 00:53  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 26 Aug 2016 at 07:17
Hi Steve, really glad you have had a good week - it really is about time ๐Ÿ˜Š. Lovely news about your daughter. Have a good weekend. Jayne x
User
Posted 26 Aug 2016 at 08:55

Phew ! Glad that worry is over now anyway.

Well done to your daughter. It isn't easy for our children to have to cope with studying at the same time as putting up with the rubbish bits of our lives

User
Posted 30 Aug 2016 at 19:20

Hello Steve,

congratulations to your daughter's GCSE results - fabulous!  Also well done on completing your current treatment.

Frank.

User
Posted 21 Sep 2016 at 08:43

Hi,

I've just called my local surgery to make an appointment to see a GP and been told that from now on the doctors will only see patients if it's an emergency.  You can only make appointments with one of the nurses.  My wife had the same problem too.  I think this is awful.  I can't image that they have the knowledge that a GP has.  I certainly wouldn't have been happy if only nurses had been involved with most of my treatment.

The surgery was taken over at the start of September by a different group because it has been in special measures for the last 18 months.

I'm not impressed.

Steve

User
Posted 21 Sep 2016 at 11:03
Hi Steve,

From NHS England Site:

"You have the legal right to ask to see a particular doctor or nurse at the GP practice. For more information, see:ย Can I choose to see a male or female GP?"

KRO...

User
Posted 29 Sep 2016 at 09:09

Hi,

Can I ask for people's experience of how quickly they recovered after finishing hormone treatment.  I had two years and two months treatment which ended about a month ago, so not really expecting things to improve yet.

My oncologist did say this may take anything up to six months or a year for things to improve but I wondered what members here have found.  I think this would be helpful info for all of us who have been on a similar treatment plan. 

Thanks.

Steve

User
Posted 29 Sep 2016 at 18:23
Hi Steve

I was off HT one day short of a year. In that time my testosterone only got back to 7.2 I only had a big increase in testosterone in the last month

Must admit I did feel much better and the hot flushes went quite quickly

Si

Don't deny the diagnosis; try to defy the verdict
User
Posted 29 Sep 2016 at 19:26
Hi Steve,

I was on HT for almost 3 years. in January my oncologist told me to stop having the injections, next one was due in February. By my next appointment in May I was feeling that I had more energy but still had the odd hot flush, but my testosterone was still low. We went on holiday in June and did a lot of walking, considering my wife uses a wheelchair I felt quite strong by then. When I went to my next appointment in August my testosterone was normal. My only problem now is the lack of motivation to go for walks etc. My wife says I need to buy a dog!!

Arthur

User
Posted 01 Oct 2016 at 14:32
Hi,

Si, thanks for your reply, I hope everything is going well for you with the break from HT. It's too early to expect any change for myself but am looking forward to it when It does come. Hoping to come up to Newark sometime soon, I've been away too long.

Arthur, pleased to hear you are enjoying some improvement after finishing HT. Hopefully, we'll have chance to have a chat at the Flyer if you can make it.

Steve

User
Posted 21 Oct 2016 at 10:49
Hi,

A very interesting evening at Kings College in London last night.

Kevin Webber (Irun) was giving a talk about how being diagnosed with Cancer has changed his life and how his love of running has helped him cope with an incurable diagnosis.

Highlight of the evening was his experiences of running the World's toughest race, the Marathon Des Sables, across the Sahara Desert.

Kevin has raised a huge amount of money for Prostate Cancer UK and has shown that even with the worst diagnosis, you can still achieve your goals, if you have determination and Kevin certainly has that. An inspiration to us all.

I took photos of the event. If you're interested seeing these, please visit my Facebook page. You can find it by searching for "Nikon Steve"

Have a good weekend everyone.

Steve

Edited by member 23 Oct 2016 at 02:40  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 21 Oct 2016 at 12:47

Just saw them Steve.

I bet it was really interesting. Did you stay in London for the night?

User
Posted 21 Oct 2016 at 12:59
Hi Sandra,

Unfortunately I had to get home even though it would have nice to stay somewhere.

It was really nice to see PCUK staff members I've got to know and others who are fundraising or have Prostate Cancer.

A very pleasant evening.

Steve

User
Posted 21 Oct 2016 at 19:23
Saw the FB photos Steve thank you for that , Kev ( I run ) is such an inspiration those of us on this forum know that he has his down times but what a guy and so glad that you were able to be there to witness and photograph the event.

Shame you couldn't stay the night but at least you were able to capture the moment in pictures.

BFN

Julie X

NEVER LAUGH AT A LIVE DRAGON
User
Posted 22 Oct 2016 at 17:56

Hello Steve,

how are you doing?

Your friend Kevin sounds like superman!

This morning I felt like I could barely walk up to the shop!  I haven't run for years, so that ain't going to happen!

Frank.

User
Posted 25 Oct 2016 at 11:11
Hi,

Doing ok at the moment, thanks. Still not as I'd want to be but I will keep trying.

I feel a bit lost at the moment, not sure what to do with my life from now on. The thought that my next PSA Test is happening on 1st December is starting to play on my mind a bit. It will be the first since HT ended in August so I'm wondering how things are going. My PSA had been gradually rising since the start of the year while still on the treatment so what will happen now concerns me a bit.

I was told from the very outset that I wouldn't know if the radiotherapy I had had worked until the Hormone Treatment ended and if it didn't work, my cancer would then be incurable.

A bit of a scary thought.

Steve

User
Posted 25 Oct 2016 at 12:38
Hi Steve,

Just because your PSA has been rising it doesn't necessarily mean it will continue to rise now you've stopped the HT, but I can understand your concern. It's always a nervous time but hopefully any fears you have will be unwarranted. My last HT injection was November 2015 and I've had 4 monthly appointments with the oncologist this year, my next appointment is also on 1st December so all being well we can compare notes at the "Flyer" on the 7th?

All the best,

Arthur

Edited by member 25 Oct 2016 at 15:24  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 25 Oct 2016 at 14:05

Been exactly where you are Steve. Incurable does not mean imminent death, please try to get that out of your mind. If the PSA has risen, there are many cocktails of hormones and permutations to keep your quality of life on par with what it is today. My radiotherapy ended in January 2013 and the PSA started to rise then indicating I was incurable. That is nearly four years ago. I'm still here.

Also, December 1st is a bit far away to be worrying about the PSA just yet. As the world's worst worrier, can I suggest that you really try hard to put it out of your mind (much easier said than done), focus on your life in the moment and only allow yourself to worry the week before. This is the approach I take and it works. Nothing on this earth will ever stop you worrying about your health and indeed your life. It is what makes us human, but trying to compartmentalise worry is a strategy that I as a clinically diagnosed catastophist is one which works.

Wishing you a great November and strength and good luck for the first week of December.

Bazza

User
Posted 04 Nov 2016 at 21:53

Hi,

A bit of a milestone yesterday.  It marked one year since I last spent time in hospital because of my heart problems.  In the previous 12 months, I had been admitted five times into the Cardiac Care Unit so to go a whole year without further admissions makes me feel really good.

Just hope my cancer treatment (radiotherapy) has worked.  Now I've ended hormone treatment, I may find out in the coming months, hopefully I might know more when I see the oncologist next month.

Have a good weekend everyone.

Steve

User
Posted 04 Nov 2016 at 22:43
Steve

Not going to tempt fate, so well done and see you soon.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 04 Nov 2016 at 22:51
That's great news Steve, here's hoping for more to come.

Arthur

User
Posted 05 Nov 2016 at 01:36

Hopefully, one year will turn into two and then three and then ten!

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 05 Nov 2016 at 17:02

Good luck brother

Bazza

User
Posted 06 Nov 2016 at 07:51

Keep on rocking Steve. Good luck

Paul

User
Posted 06 Nov 2016 at 20:26

Good luck Steve, - my, doesn't time fly!  Keep rolling with those punches!

flexi

User
Posted 07 Nov 2016 at 07:56
Hi,

Thanks for all your good wishes.

I shouldn't have thought about the heart situation. All weekend I've had a niggling chest pain, which is probably a pulled muscle, the cold weather or the stress I feel under just now. It maybe because I'm trying to do too much, I have been travelling all over the country in the last few weeks (just off to Margate now). I'll see how I feel later and probably check it out with the medics.

Steve

User
Posted 10 Nov 2016 at 16:08
Hope all going well Steve.

Keep Right On...

KRO...

User
Posted 12 Nov 2016 at 11:21

Hope all well with you Steve.

User
Posted 12 Nov 2016 at 12:05
Hi,

Unfortunately, the new avatar doesn't reflect how I feel.

Steve

User
Posted 23 Nov 2016 at 16:37

Hello Steve,

I pray that you are feeling better.  Good luck with your next appointment.

Frank.

User
Posted 27 Nov 2016 at 01:44
Hi,

I've just been admitted into the Acute Medical Unit at our local hospital after having chest pains all day.

So far I spent most of the evening in A&E where I have been looked after very well but they've decided to admit me for further tests.

I think I spoke too soon when I said that I'd gone a year without being in hospital.

Hope to be out soon.

Steve

User
Posted 27 Nov 2016 at 06:56

Hello Steve.

Sorry to see the latest news.

Hope you had a restful (hospital - restful - oxymoron!) night and that the medical staff are looking after you well.

Hope you feel better soon.

Best Wishes

Sandra

User
Posted 27 Nov 2016 at 09:15
Sorry to hear this Steve.

Get well soon mate.

KRO...

User
Posted 27 Nov 2016 at 09:46
Best wishes for a speedy recovery Steve

Arthur

User
Posted 27 Nov 2016 at 12:42

Sorry to hear this - hope all is sorted out soon

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 27 Nov 2016 at 20:06

Best wishs Steve,
Thinking of you, know what its like to have ticker probs

User
Posted 28 Nov 2016 at 19:29
Hi Steve

Seeing you're on the site right now - I hope that means you're 'out and about' ?

Arthur

User
Posted 28 Nov 2016 at 19:44
Hope you feel better soon

Very Best

Gary

User
Posted 28 Nov 2016 at 19:44

Hi Arthur,

Yes, I'm home now.

I've just spent half an hour writing a long post and then lost it off the screen when I tried to post it.  Really frustrating.

I will post later this evening but feel a bit tired just now.

Thanks for your message.

Steve

User
Posted 28 Nov 2016 at 19:53

Take it easy Steve

Bri

User
Posted 29 Nov 2016 at 02:25

Hi,

As I wrote earlier, I'm home now.  Thank you for all your messages.

I thought I was going to get through November without spending anymore time in hospital.  I had my heart attack in November two years ago, last November I was in to have another heart op after one of my arteries had become blocked again.  So I'm disappointed to have found myself admitted again.  I wouldn't have gone to A&E as I wasn't sure my pains were heart related but my family though it was for the best.

Anyway, in A&E, the doctors weren't sure if my pains were signs of another heart event so, in view of my heart history, decided to admit me for further tests.

Saturday night spent in the Acute Medical Unit didn't result in me sleeping much because there was so much going on.  I think I finally fell asleep around 3am, only to be woken at 4.30am for a further blood test.  After that I found I never really managed anymore sleep.

During Sunday after further tests, they finally tracked down the pains to a muscle close to my heart which they said I had probably strained, so finally I was discharged.  They told me that I had done the right thing by going in because, in view of my heart condition, I couldn't take any chances.  Felt a bit guilty blocking a bed when there were probably more urgent cases.

Anyway, I had superb treatment by the staff while I was there, as I always have had, thank goodness for our NHS.

As it wasn't my heart, I decided to walk home (about 7 miles) as I didn't want to bother my son-in-law again after he had made two trips to the hospital on Saturday night (once to drop us at A&E and again at 1am to take my wife home).  I enjoy walking but don't very often get much chance to do a longer walk.

Sunday evening, I had to spend hours sorting out the processing work and captioning for the newspaper shift I'd done on Saturday, so I was late in bed again.   So I seem to be trying catch up with sleep again.

Anyway, it good to know everything is still ok with my heart. 

I now face a nervous time with my first PSA test on Thursday since ending treatment. I will find out the results next Tuesday when I'm due to see the Oncologist.  I finally hope to get an indication as to whether my curative Radiotherapy treatment has worked.  I'm not sure if it has because in the last three PSA tests, the figure has gone up, in spite of me still being on hormone treatment at that time.  We shall see.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Steve

Edited by member 29 Nov 2016 at 02:35  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 29 Nov 2016 at 06:58
Hi Steve

I'm glad everything went well with the cardio and have my fingers and toes crossed for your next onco appointment.

All the very best

Paul

User
Posted 29 Nov 2016 at 07:40
Steve

Everything crossed for your blood test.

Thanks Chris