I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

A New Chapter

User
Posted 15 Mar 2018 at 08:11
The problem with having my PSA test a day earlier than I intended is now that I have an extra day of "Squeaky Bum Time" to cope with.
User
Posted 15 Mar 2018 at 10:46
The waiting for results is awful, I sympathise.
Ian

Ido4

User
Posted 16 Mar 2018 at 21:22
Hi,

Feel awful and disappointed, mainly with myself.

A few days ago I pulled out of running this Sunday's Reading Half Marathon. I just didn't feel in the right frame of mind to compete as I would want to. The stress of next Tuesday's oncology appointment was really beginning to get to me, in spite of thinking originally, that it wouldn't. I wanted to do my best but it became clear that it would be better to leave that till another day.

As it turns out, it looks as though it's maybe best that I won't be running it, as the latest weather forcast say's that it could be near freezing point on Sunday and maybe several inches of snow on the ground. I know my cardiologist would be unhappy if I'd run it in those conditions as he warned me I could have another heart attack, exercising in very cold air.

Well, I've decided all I can do is to enter other smaller events in the next six months, once I'm sure about my medical outlook.

It's a shame that it looks like I won't be able to run without the tiring effects of further cancer treatment.

Steve

Edited by member 16 Mar 2018 at 21:25  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 17 Mar 2018 at 07:21
Steve,

Don’t beat yourself up, you’ve made a wise decision, there’s always another day.

Arthur
User
Posted 17 Mar 2018 at 08:54
Hi Steve
I think you are just being sensible. You know how you feel and it would be a bit daft to put yourself at risk and potentially undo all the good work that you and the medics have done for you.
I appreciate that you feel disappointed but maybe you can still encourage others by going along and giving them a cheer or getting some photos that others will appreciate.
Don't be so hard on yourself as there is no need.
There is snow in the wind here and it is a pretty strong, cold wind (by southern standards) as well and I am about 40 miles from you so I think you are a wise man.

Take care.

Kevan
User
Posted 20 Mar 2018 at 06:43
Hi,

Well, the day has finally arrived. The day I've been waiting for but also dreaded coming. My Oncology meeting is at lunchtime where I receive my latest PSA results.

I've had a long time to think about this, sometimes not knowing is worse than knowing but the stress of what might happen has been getting to me. Everything I needed to do has been "put off" until this day is over. I'm sure many of you have felt the same way sometimes.

I've come to realise, looking back over my life, that tiny moments in time shape our future. Today is one of those moments.

Steve
User
Posted 20 Mar 2018 at 07:20

Thinking of you today Steve and hoping the results are what you want

Fingers crossed !!

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 20 Mar 2018 at 08:06
Hi Steve
Hope today goes well for you so will be thinking of you.

Kevan
User
Posted 20 Mar 2018 at 08:25

Good Luck today Steve

Don't deny the diagnosis; try to defy the verdict
User
Posted 20 Mar 2018 at 08:37
Hi Steve, I will be thinking of you today.
Ian

Ido4

User
Posted 20 Mar 2018 at 11:09
Best wishes for today Steve
Arthur
User
Posted 20 Mar 2018 at 13:11

Best wishes for today
Debby

User
Posted 20 Mar 2018 at 16:02

Hope the results were ok Steve

Bri

User
Posted 20 Mar 2018 at 16:43
Thank you for all your good wishes.

Just back from the hospital. The PSA has doubled to 4 since I saw the oncologist in December. Started on hormone treatment straight away.

My curative radiotherapy unfortunately failed.

Steve
User
Posted 20 Mar 2018 at 17:11
Hi Steve
Sorry to hear that you didn't get the news you wanted but at least you know now and can crack on with the HT. It's probably no consolation to you but after RALP and SRT didn't get me down to undetectable my first PSA following HT got the result and it's still there at the moment.
All the best

Kevan
User
Posted 20 Mar 2018 at 17:36

Sorry to hear that news Steve. Another step change I guess. It’s all steps and new norms isn’t it ! The worrying just never ends. Keep strong

User
Posted 20 Mar 2018 at 18:18
Really sorry to hear that Steve. I know you won’t be happy being back on HT but hopefully it will bring your PSA down quickly.
It’s a major disappointment that RT has failed.
Wishing you all the best, Ian.

Edited by member 20 Mar 2018 at 18:25  | Reason: Not specified

Ido4

User
Posted 20 Mar 2018 at 18:28
I think I must have broken a mirror. I'm not having a good day. After the bad news at the hospital, I've just had the clutch go on my car while picking up my daughter from the London bus. Happened in the middle of a roundabout during rush hour. Just had to push my car 300 yards to a safe position. Not good for my heart.

Now waiting for the AA to turn up.

Shoot me someone.

Steve

User
Posted 20 Mar 2018 at 18:33

Sorry to hear your latest update, let’s hope and pray the rise can be halted and reversed with the HT.

Arthur

User
Posted 21 Mar 2018 at 18:13

Hi Steve,
Sorry to hear that news ,
Has your Onco set out a treatment path

Barry

User
Posted 22 Mar 2018 at 11:15
Steve

Sorry to hear about the rise but at least we are both still here to moan about it. Keep smiling mate.

Thanks Chris
User
Posted 01 Apr 2018 at 17:48

Hi,

Well, it's 12 days since I restarted hormone treatment (HT) again and today, I've been suffering chest pains again.  Only mild, but irritating.  Using my GTN spray did help get rid of them but the return of cardiac problems is
not what I wanted to happen. 

Last week, the oncologist was concerned that I might have cardiac problems again if I restarted HT,  but in many ways, I didn't have a choice.  

Since the effects of my previous HT had worn off, I've not had any heart problems.  I was really enjoying getting back to normal. 

I really hope cardiac issues aren't going to start again, I really have enough to deal with.

Steve

Edited by member 02 Apr 2018 at 20:02  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 01 Apr 2018 at 20:59
That’s crap! Horrid to have to weigh risks and benefits. Consider all options, including not having hormones that make daily life worse. Medic.s tend to find it hard to factor simple quality of life issues when offering advice as they can get stuck on ensuring the right treatment for their bit in the puzzle goes ahead.
Be brave! Henry
User
Posted 01 Apr 2018 at 21:15
Hi Steve, so sorry to read that. Hope the medics can come up with something to make the HT tolerable.
Are you getting a cardiac check done?
Best wishes, Ian.

Ido4

User
Posted 02 Apr 2018 at 06:18

I am sorry to learn your news too Steve. Does you oncologist liaise with the consultant involved with your cardiac condition?

Barry
User
Posted 02 Apr 2018 at 08:55

Thinking of you as usual Steve.

User
Posted 02 Apr 2018 at 10:10

Steve

sorry to read you're having troubled times yet again. Fingers crossed they get the treatment for you sorted.

Ray

User
Posted 03 Apr 2018 at 11:26
Hi Steve, have you had any of the newer PSMA scans to try and localise the recurrence?? If it's in a node that can still be irradiated this could help??
User
Posted 03 Apr 2018 at 20:28

Sorry to hear about the poor result Steve. Hope you get back out running soon, good weather on its way.

User
Posted 05 Apr 2018 at 01:57

Hi,

Thank you all your supportive messages.

Fortunately, the chest pains I suffered at the weekend have stopped since I decided to take some tablets that my oncologist gave me over a year ago which are supposed to help with controlling angina.  Since I recovered from the effects of my original HT, I had found that most of the heart issues hadn't caused me any problems.  My cardiologist had agreed at that time that I needn't start taking the tablets unless I was having problems again.  What happened at the weekend seemed the right time to try them out and fortunately, they seem to be working. 

My regular Oncologist worked in the cardiac field prior to moving over to cancer treatment so usually the decisions about my cancer care is based on my current heart situation.  Otherwise I'm not sure if the two departments share info.  It's always in my notes anyway.

Well, on Tuesday morning I had my first Zoladex implant.  Interesting because my GP couldn't find any of the freezing agent he would normally use to deaden the point of entry.  He asked me if it was ok for him to continue and I said it was fine with me.  After some of the stomach injections I've had in the cardiac unit in the past, this was a piece of cake.  It was soon over and didn't really hurt that much.  

This morning (Thursday), I'm due to have a Bone Scan at the hospital.  The oncologist who I saw two weeks ago, thought that this would be the only scan worth doing at this stage as CT & MRI Scans probably wouldn't supply any new information.  With already having had about the maximum radiation during Radiotherapy I don't think there's much they could do unless in the future, I had a lot of pain from a particular area and they needed to give me a blast of RT to try and control that. 

So I think the plan for me is very much about trying to control the cancer's development.  Lets hope that will be for many years.

Steve

Edited by member 05 Apr 2018 at 02:07  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 05 Apr 2018 at 08:43

Glad you got some of it sorted Steve

Good luck with the scan

User
Posted 05 Apr 2018 at 11:11
Glad you have resolved cardiac issues with the medication Steve.
I had a bone scan 26/2, still waiting on results. Hope all goes well, Ian.

Ido4

User
Posted 05 Apr 2018 at 23:57
Hi,

Bone Scan done. Hopefully, may get the results by the end of next week. I feel ok.

I face a really busy weekend and week ahead. It will be tiring but then my wife and I are off for a short break in Amsterdam to see the tulips. Looking forward to that, it's been a tough month, in many ways.

Steve
User
Posted 11 Jun 2018 at 18:41

Hi,

Today is four years since I was given the news that I had Prostate Cancer.  News that was to change my life forever. Little did I know how much.  

I always thought that I was pretty healthy but following my diagnosis and radiotherapy treatment, I suffered a heart attack resulting in nine cardiac admissions into hospital, three heart operations and receiving the news last year that I am also pre-diabetic.

Perhaps the worst news was, three months ago, finding out that my curative treatment for my cancer had failed.

I now face a journey that no one wants to do but it will be one that so many face here.  

I know that journey will be difficult but I know that the support I have received and continue to receive here will help me through.

Thank you.

Steve

Edited by member 11 Jun 2018 at 18:44  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 11 Jun 2018 at 19:03
Steve, so sorry that your have been going through all this. I understand how you feel: tired, sad, but after having fought life so hard, please, keep on going. This is not the end of the way.

It seems your PC is still there, but even so, come on. Try to find some relief to your dolency and live
You know better than me that even with that f***** disease men can survive.

Big hug!

Lola
User
Posted 11 Jun 2018 at 21:28

Hi Steve, it’s a difficult road we are travelling, I hope you can get to a point where you feel better than you do right now.

Last time you posted you had a bone scan. How were the results?

Have you had any other scans?

best wishes, Ian

Ido4

User
Posted 11 Jun 2018 at 21:33
Hi Steve,

So sorry the RT failed to do the job and for all your cardiac problems. Hope HT works well long term and anything else that needs to be added or changed in due course. Do let us know how it goes.
Barry
User
Posted 11 Jun 2018 at 22:30
Hi Steve,

Sorry to read your update - what treatment are you having now?

Keep strong.

Best wishes,

Arthur
User
Posted 22 Jun 2018 at 03:22

Hi,

Sorry for not posting recently, there's a lot going on at the moment. 

It was our 35th. Wedding Anniversary on Monday, had a nice day in the Cotswolds to celebrate.  Last week I was busy at Wimbledon photographing the preparations for the start of the tennis tournament.  A few weeks ago we went to see the Harlem Globetrotters play which was fun and was especially nice as we got to meet the players after the game.

Healthwise, when the bone scan was done back in March it came out clear, so good news on that front.

The hormone treatment (Zoladex) is going as before with the usual side effects: fatigue, hot flushes, ED etc. but really I will just have to get used to the idea that this is my life now.

I did have my first PSA test (last Friday) since starting treatment again and the results were that my PSA has fallen from 4 in March to 0.775 now, so I'm happy with that.  I see the oncologist next Tuesday but I expect that to be a very routine appointment with those results.

Disappointed about missing the MOTS meetup at the weekend but I have a wedding to photograph.  I hope everyone who is lucky enough to be there has a great time.  Maybe I might be able to make it next year.

Steve

User
Posted 22 Jun 2018 at 18:25
Steve
All sounds pretty good in your new life.
I understand totally what new life means and like you have to adapt to the new level
I'm so glad you are still doing the photography to keep you active.
Great numbers on the scorecard.
Keep on trucking

All the best

Paul
User
Posted 23 Jun 2018 at 19:12
Results sound positive Steve. Your attitude sounds pretty upbeat also which as we know is half the battle

Happy anniversary it was our 30th on the 18th also

Bri
User
Posted 28 Jun 2018 at 05:39
Just caught up with your post Steve.

Belated Wedding Anniversary wishes to you both.

Excellent news on the PSA front, long may it continue
User
Posted 06 Sep 2018 at 19:07

Hi,

Here we go again.  

Latest PSA Test on Tuesday morning, up to 1.30 from previous results in June of 0.775 & 0.925.

I restarted my Zoladex HT implants again in March after my PSA had been doubling every 3 months while not on treatment.

Feeling rather disappointed.  I've been through enough.

Steve

User
Posted 06 Sep 2018 at 19:58

Hi Steve,

Sorry to hear of this rise in PSA, hopefully it will stabilise or plateau out.

What’s your oncologist’s view on this?

Keep strong my friend.

Arthur

User
Posted 06 Sep 2018 at 21:33

Sorry to hear about the PSA rise Steve ,

But there is loads in the box yet

keep on top of your Onco 

I know that you have been through the mill

Barry

User
Posted 06 Sep 2018 at 22:13

Sorry to read ths Steve. Keep fighting my friend. There are more treatments in the tool box.

Ido4

User
Posted 06 Sep 2018 at 22:28
Sorry to hear your news Steve keep going
User
Posted 06 Sep 2018 at 22:31
I’m so sorry to hear your bad news, Steve. I’m on the (hopefully) “curative RT” path myself (started HT on 17th Aug, RT due to start next Feb). It’s a salutary reminder that it doesn’t always work. I wish you the very best of luck on your future journey.

(Keen photographer myself, using Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II)

Chris
User
Posted 06 Sep 2018 at 22:47
Sorry to read your news Steve. As Barry says loads in the box yet.

Keep strong

Ray
User
Posted 07 Sep 2018 at 19:57
Ah Steve, just seen your update. What a b****r for you. You have definitely been through such a lot

Thinking of you and your family my friend. Don't give up yet !!