I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Bed wetting

User
Posted 04 May 2016 at 06:58
In Aug 15 my husband had brachytherapy and up until the past 4 weeks he has done so well, even when the radiation was at its peak. In Feb 16 we were told everything was heading in the right direction and he hasn't got to see his consultant until August.

Over the last 4 weeks there has been a noticeable shift. He has started to wet the bed, both considerably or just constant dribbles during the night, he has wet himself as he couldn't get to the toilet in time and his mood is up & down, very much like it was prior to diagnosis. I've tried to talk to him and had my head bitten off.

Last night was awful! We were expecting some sort of incontinance at the beginning of the treatment or when the radiation peaked but he has had nothing until now.

Is this something anybody else has experienced or should I be worried & how do I tackle this without getting shouted at. I am trying so hard to be patient.

User
Posted 04 May 2016 at 18:18

Thank you for your replies........interesting,,,..,,beer & too much liquid, think you guys have hit the nail on the head!! He hit the beer at Easter and hasn't really stopped since, up until then he has been really really good for someone who liked to drink...a lot!

Been a cow, I've been shopping and brought incontinence pads and put them and a tinny on the bed with a little note...saying "your choice" along with clean sheets and another note saying "your turn to make"!!

Could be an interesting evening.

Really appreciate your support :-)

A xxxx

User
Posted 04 May 2016 at 14:34

Hi,sorry not experienced this but several people have said beer makes this worse.  Buy him some male incontinence pads,give him a letter explaining your concerns ,telling him you will support him and walk out of the room.  Good luck.  Let us know how you get on. 

User
Posted 04 May 2016 at 15:12

I wear pads day and night just in case, from nhs.

Chris.

Ps, that's after 10 years.

Edited by member 04 May 2016 at 15:12  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 04 May 2016 at 15:25

Hi
I had RP last June. I know different from you. Quite a bit of bed wetting the first 3 months but continent during the day. In honesty I was doing too much liquid also. During your hubby's Bracchy then his urethra gets tight because of the swelling. His sphincter gets used to that restriction. Now everything is easing off and the swelling abating , maybe his sphincter is trying to re-adapt and letting by a bit. It must be so hard for you , but keep up the encouragement and hopefully he will be through it before you know
Chris

User
Posted 04 May 2016 at 18:08

Soaman, is he leaking during the day? If not, then the problem is unlikely to be mechanical. Possibly, his sleep is now much deeper and this is somehow linked to his Feb appointment and getting an 'all clear' of sorts? Or he may need to be tested for an infection?

A tough question but does he have an alcohol problem?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 04 May 2016 at 18:47

Hi Soaman,

My treatment path was different to your hubby's....

I had  da Vinci surgery...and although I still suffer from mild stress incontinence  almost 2 years post ...... if I hit the beer ( which I do frequently http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif )  I find that I still leak at night time if I have had too much....

Alcohol, as I understand it is a muscle relaxant and maybe it relaxes the sphincter muscle enough to allow leakage to occur ?

I know from my experience that if I stop or reduce alcohol intake then things improve considerably...

At the moment I try to strike a balance between the two...as I have no intention of not having a beer if I want one....

Luther

User
Posted 04 May 2016 at 20:11

I hesitate to suggest this as it could backfire on you - if this is down to choices he is making rather than a physical or mechanical problem it allows him to think it doesn't matter - but what about disposable bed pads?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=bed+pads+disposable&tag=mh0a9-21&index=aps&hvadid=3170690550&hvqmt=b&hvbmt=bb&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_5m70hotpiz_b

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 04 May 2016 at 20:37

I would suggest discussing with GP or delegated cancer nurse. It is important to have an adequate liquid intake but excess alcohol will not help. Substituting cranberry juice for some of this might! Also, not to drink for several hours before going to bed may help. My 'urgency' and 'frequency' gradually improved over a couple of months or so after RT by which time it was back to pre RT level. However, I had external beam and not brachytherapy so perhaps different result maybe affected by positioning and puncturing of Prostate, paticularly if type using seeds given. I also I drink very little alcohol!

Barry
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 04 May 2016 at 14:34

Hi,sorry not experienced this but several people have said beer makes this worse.  Buy him some male incontinence pads,give him a letter explaining your concerns ,telling him you will support him and walk out of the room.  Good luck.  Let us know how you get on. 

User
Posted 04 May 2016 at 15:12

I wear pads day and night just in case, from nhs.

Chris.

Ps, that's after 10 years.

Edited by member 04 May 2016 at 15:12  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 04 May 2016 at 15:25

Hi
I had RP last June. I know different from you. Quite a bit of bed wetting the first 3 months but continent during the day. In honesty I was doing too much liquid also. During your hubby's Bracchy then his urethra gets tight because of the swelling. His sphincter gets used to that restriction. Now everything is easing off and the swelling abating , maybe his sphincter is trying to re-adapt and letting by a bit. It must be so hard for you , but keep up the encouragement and hopefully he will be through it before you know
Chris

User
Posted 04 May 2016 at 18:08

Soaman, is he leaking during the day? If not, then the problem is unlikely to be mechanical. Possibly, his sleep is now much deeper and this is somehow linked to his Feb appointment and getting an 'all clear' of sorts? Or he may need to be tested for an infection?

A tough question but does he have an alcohol problem?

User
Posted 04 May 2016 at 18:18

Thank you for your replies........interesting,,,..,,beer & too much liquid, think you guys have hit the nail on the head!! He hit the beer at Easter and hasn't really stopped since, up until then he has been really really good for someone who liked to drink...a lot!

Been a cow, I've been shopping and brought incontinence pads and put them and a tinny on the bed with a little note...saying "your choice" along with clean sheets and another note saying "your turn to make"!!

Could be an interesting evening.

Really appreciate your support :-)

A xxxx

User
Posted 04 May 2016 at 18:28

Hi Lyn

He was tested for an infection Friday and got the all clear.  Interesting what you say about alcohol.  I think he has, he doesn't, but his drinking has picked up since Easter to where it was at diagnosis and now the problems have started.  He had been really good and cut right back.

I have told him I think its down to alcohol and he his stewing and what the other guys have said has reinforced my thoughts. Hopefully he will think about it, cut back and things will get back to as normal as they can be again.

A xxx

User
Posted 04 May 2016 at 18:47

Hi Soaman,

My treatment path was different to your hubby's....

I had  da Vinci surgery...and although I still suffer from mild stress incontinence  almost 2 years post ...... if I hit the beer ( which I do frequently http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif )  I find that I still leak at night time if I have had too much....

Alcohol, as I understand it is a muscle relaxant and maybe it relaxes the sphincter muscle enough to allow leakage to occur ?

I know from my experience that if I stop or reduce alcohol intake then things improve considerably...

At the moment I try to strike a balance between the two...as I have no intention of not having a beer if I want one....

Luther

User
Posted 04 May 2016 at 20:11

I hesitate to suggest this as it could backfire on you - if this is down to choices he is making rather than a physical or mechanical problem it allows him to think it doesn't matter - but what about disposable bed pads?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=bed+pads+disposable&tag=mh0a9-21&index=aps&hvadid=3170690550&hvqmt=b&hvbmt=bb&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_5m70hotpiz_b

User
Posted 04 May 2016 at 20:22

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Lyn.... I simply wear a pad in my trunks to bed if I've been 'on the lash ' ..... seems to work for me....  

I just accept that I more than likely will leak at night if I've had too many 'sherberts' :) 

User
Posted 04 May 2016 at 20:37

I would suggest discussing with GP or delegated cancer nurse. It is important to have an adequate liquid intake but excess alcohol will not help. Substituting cranberry juice for some of this might! Also, not to drink for several hours before going to bed may help. My 'urgency' and 'frequency' gradually improved over a couple of months or so after RT by which time it was back to pre RT level. However, I had external beam and not brachytherapy so perhaps different result maybe affected by positioning and puncturing of Prostate, paticularly if type using seeds given. I also I drink very little alcohol!

Barry