Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Post Radiotherapy

User
Posted 08 Sep 2017 at 12:35
Hi,
Just joined. Finished 37 days of radiotherapy two days ago and now feeling quite down. I had the same two radiographers virtually every time and it's left me with an emotional void I never anticipated. There was a security in going every day as well as, bizarrely, a degree of enjoyment. So not sure if my feelings are because of the unknown outcome of the treatment or I "over bonded" or both. I'm sure I'll snap out of it but wondered if this is a common reaction.
User
Posted 08 Sep 2017 at 19:39

Extremely common - i imagine lots of the guys will be along to reassure you that they nearly all felt like that.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 09 Sep 2017 at 00:51

I think this at least provides assurance that most men do not find this the daunting experience some men might imagine RT might be!

The two ladies who most frequently gave me my RT were charming and posed together for a picture towards my last fraction. They also took a couple of pics of them preparing me on the linac table, so I have these to remember them. (Forum protocol means I can't show these here).

Barry
User
Posted 09 Sep 2017 at 11:54
I was able to be with and share with a lot of different people during my 37 sessions, women including who were having RT for their situations so I understand the feelings you are having. When I completed my RT I felt really emotional and missed meeting with the people I had bonded with. The way you feel isn't unusual but probably the norm.

Arthur
User
Posted 10 Sep 2017 at 03:00

Hi,

Welcome to the site.

I had the same feelings as you described.   

Also, one of the things I remember is the feeling that, because I was told that successful RT was my only chance that the cancer could be cured, I just hoped that everything had gone ok.  I walked out of the last session feeling the same way as I used to feel after taking exams at school, my future depended on whether I'd done everything right.  I know the only thing I could do is to make sure my bowel was empty and I had a full bladder but I realised that those four weeks (I had 19 sessions) were the most important weeks of my life.  It was a scary thought. 

You can feel isolated after the regular visits for RT, but for me it helped to join my local Prostate Cancer Support Group around about the same time.  Perhaps you might consider this if you're not already a member.

Anyway, may I wish you the very best of luck with your treatment and keep in touch and let us know how things are going.  You will find some good friends here.

All the Best,

Steve   

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 08 Sep 2017 at 19:39

Extremely common - i imagine lots of the guys will be along to reassure you that they nearly all felt like that.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 09 Sep 2017 at 00:51

I think this at least provides assurance that most men do not find this the daunting experience some men might imagine RT might be!

The two ladies who most frequently gave me my RT were charming and posed together for a picture towards my last fraction. They also took a couple of pics of them preparing me on the linac table, so I have these to remember them. (Forum protocol means I can't show these here).

Barry
User
Posted 09 Sep 2017 at 11:54
I was able to be with and share with a lot of different people during my 37 sessions, women including who were having RT for their situations so I understand the feelings you are having. When I completed my RT I felt really emotional and missed meeting with the people I had bonded with. The way you feel isn't unusual but probably the norm.

Arthur
User
Posted 10 Sep 2017 at 03:00

Hi,

Welcome to the site.

I had the same feelings as you described.   

Also, one of the things I remember is the feeling that, because I was told that successful RT was my only chance that the cancer could be cured, I just hoped that everything had gone ok.  I walked out of the last session feeling the same way as I used to feel after taking exams at school, my future depended on whether I'd done everything right.  I know the only thing I could do is to make sure my bowel was empty and I had a full bladder but I realised that those four weeks (I had 19 sessions) were the most important weeks of my life.  It was a scary thought. 

You can feel isolated after the regular visits for RT, but for me it helped to join my local Prostate Cancer Support Group around about the same time.  Perhaps you might consider this if you're not already a member.

Anyway, may I wish you the very best of luck with your treatment and keep in touch and let us know how things are going.  You will find some good friends here.

All the Best,

Steve   

User
Posted 12 Sep 2017 at 09:12

For those people who kindly replied to my very first post four days ago and gave me reassurance and encouragment, I am now getting the hang of the site and I have added a biography http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif