Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Onward

User
Posted 22 Feb 2018 at 19:10

Good Afternoon from the Great White North

We met with the radiation oncologist on Tuesday. He confirmed the diagnosis of prostrate cancer ( PSA 197, Gleason 8, T3) There is no spread shown in the pelvic CT or Bone Scan.

It is his recommendation that hubby commence hormone therapy followed by radiation. We have a MIR of the prostrate and a CT scan for planning purposes this week.

Radiation therapy is to start on March 21.

While the oncologist was optimistic and even said go south for a couple of weeks before all this starts we do have concern over the possible side effects. It appears the monographs that are given out really focus on the side effects . I must admit that they are quite worrisome especially since my hubby has never been really ill

I don't want to be a total Pollyanna but I do hope all goes well

Any thoughts?

User
Posted 23 Feb 2018 at 09:27

Hi Helen,

Sounds like the Canadian process is efficient.

Hopefully somebody on here will offer you advice on the treatment after effects.

I hope you are a Pollyanna since from what I remember of the book from when I was a child, she was nothing if not optimistic !!

Good luck !

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 23 Feb 2018 at 17:46

Hi Helen, I went through this over ten years ago. I recall no side effects, except that with hormone therapy, there is a tendency to gain weight and become lethargic. With determination, regular gentle exercise and a balanced diet (not over eating!) to counter the lowered testosterone, the lethargy can be conquered. Provided they do the physics well and aim the radiation perfectly collateral damage can be avoided. The vulnerable areas are the rectum and bladder. There will be guidance about filling the bladder to keep it out of the way possibly and they may even use balloon technology to keep things apart. All will be revealed by your oncologist before the treatment starts, I'm sure.

Good Luck

AC

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 23 Feb 2018 at 09:27

Hi Helen,

Sounds like the Canadian process is efficient.

Hopefully somebody on here will offer you advice on the treatment after effects.

I hope you are a Pollyanna since from what I remember of the book from when I was a child, she was nothing if not optimistic !!

Good luck !

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 23 Feb 2018 at 17:46

Hi Helen, I went through this over ten years ago. I recall no side effects, except that with hormone therapy, there is a tendency to gain weight and become lethargic. With determination, regular gentle exercise and a balanced diet (not over eating!) to counter the lowered testosterone, the lethargy can be conquered. Provided they do the physics well and aim the radiation perfectly collateral damage can be avoided. The vulnerable areas are the rectum and bladder. There will be guidance about filling the bladder to keep it out of the way possibly and they may even use balloon technology to keep things apart. All will be revealed by your oncologist before the treatment starts, I'm sure.

Good Luck

AC