I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

After Hormone Therapy

User
Posted 07 Nov 2018 at 20:34

Over the past 4 to 5 years I have had an Open Radical Prostatectomy, Salvage Radiotherapy and Hormone Therapy which I am still on.

I started HT a few months before my SRT started which is fairly usual.

Initially the plan was to keep me on HT for 6 months and end it just after the end of SRT.

However at the end of RT the Oncologist said he would keep me on HT for a further 18 months which might improve my chances of a “cure”.

I asked him what would happen after the end of RT if I had another recurrence and at what stage further treatment would resume.

He said that if PSA went to 5.0 ( I am currently <0.02), then some form of treatment would commence.

I didn’t question him further at the time but I have thought about it since.

I am concerned that the cancer would have been allowed, by inaction, to have spread too far by the time I hit a PSA of 5 and that I could be in trouble by then.

I am probably looking a little far ahead but I know that I will be scared when they stop HT.

Has anyone been down a similar route ?

If so, what was the outcome ?

Would appreciate any advice.

Edited by member 03 Jan 2019 at 05:15  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 07 Nov 2018 at 22:23

The point is that if you ever get to that stage, you will be incurable and will go back onto HT permanently (unless it stabilised dramatically and you can have the occasional hormone holiday) and all hormone treatments have a limited life span so they don't rush to start you back on them. Your onco says they would wait until 5.0 ... Some hospitals/ CCGs will wait until it is 10 or 20.

As you say, you are thinking about something that may never happen.

Edited by member 07 Nov 2018 at 22:24  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 20 Dec 2018 at 10:09
pete,i had my last zoladex injection 4th april 2016 for t3b no mo,just had my 6monthly check up it is still 0.03,so not to bad.
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 07 Nov 2018 at 22:23

The point is that if you ever get to that stage, you will be incurable and will go back onto HT permanently (unless it stabilised dramatically and you can have the occasional hormone holiday) and all hormone treatments have a limited life span so they don't rush to start you back on them. Your onco says they would wait until 5.0 ... Some hospitals/ CCGs will wait until it is 10 or 20.

As you say, you are thinking about something that may never happen.

Edited by member 07 Nov 2018 at 22:24  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 08 Nov 2018 at 02:10
Thanks Lynn, your reply is very helpful.

I must admit that I do tend to look at worst case scenarios as inevitable, when maybe they are not.
User
Posted 08 Nov 2018 at 12:08

What I am unsure about is what stage the cancer would be at if PSA went to 5 or 10.

Do you think it would be metastatic by then ?

Edited by member 04 Jan 2019 at 05:24  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 19 Dec 2018 at 21:27

I’m having my last hormone injection in January so next year could be interesting.

I will finally discover whether or not my Radiotherapy earlier this year killed the cancer or not.

Could be a rollercoaster of a year and I’m hoping that I don’t find myself further down the slippery slope at the end of it.

Would appreciate the input of anyone else who ended HT and waited to see if anything happens.

For me it will be an interesting experience but scary I think.

Edited by member 04 Jan 2019 at 05:25  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 20 Dec 2018 at 10:09
pete,i had my last zoladex injection 4th april 2016 for t3b no mo,just had my 6monthly check up it is still 0.03,so not to bad.
User
Posted 20 Dec 2018 at 21:01

Good to hear Radar and thank you.

I hope I get a similar result.