I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Small Cell Cancer

User
Posted 03 Dec 2018 at 12:20

I have started and deleted this post several times, too waffly, too detailed, too confused. So here are the bones of it. 

Diagnosed with bowel cancer Oct 2017, for the 2nd time (first in 2002),  tumour removed with a substantial part of the small bowel.Had chemo but during last three sessions CEA started to climb. Jun 2018 PET scan showed four areas of concern in the pelvic area including the prostate. Prostate biopsy revealed 20% acinar adinocarcinoma and 80% small cell cancer. Carboplatin +etoposide plus hormone therapy started. CEA was reducing at each blood test. After cycle 5 CEA jumped back to original high levels.

Had my last, of 6, chemo two weeks ago and just waiting for a PET scan next week.

Having read all I could find on survival stats, which was not a great deal, it would appear chemo does little to slow the small monster down.

Although I have no fear of dying,my wife died five years ago and I have no family, I cannot get out of my head the thought that I could have had 5 good months of life if I had not bothered with some serious side effected chemo.

Was about to delete this again because i don't know really what I am asking or why i am posting, so here goes 

User
Posted 03 Dec 2018 at 15:00
Dear JimG

I also wrote a reply to you and deleted it as no words I say will be enough ,all I can say is sometimes putting pen to paper helps to get things off your chest ,there are lots of members on this site that have a lot more knowledge and can maybe help you .

Best wishes and thoughts with you

Debby

User
Posted 03 Dec 2018 at 15:45

Jim

I don't quite know what to write but wanted to send you my best wishes.

Ulsterman

User
Posted 03 Dec 2018 at 22:53
Oh Jim,

You can post as much as you want here, you don’t need to know why or what you are asking.

Clare

User
Posted 03 Dec 2018 at 23:56
Hi Jim,

My heart goes out to you, the statistics are a horrible read. My husband was diagnosed Feb 17 with advanced pca, with spread to the bones. Just a couple of weeks ago he had a bi-polar TURP and we are due a urology follow up on Wednesday. It is likely that he has Small Cell pca as he hasn't responded well to the standard treatments.

He had chemo, 6 cycles of docetaxel (small cell hadn't been identified at this point) and felt pretty crap. But, he's been around longer than the statistics median and although the last few weeks have been tough because of his symptoms, we have had a pretty good 22 months since diagnosis.

I haven't updated my conversation this week yet because I didn't like to tempt fate, silly superstition I know but I can't help it.

We've been out to get the Christmas tree today, which seemed an impossibility last week and he's eaten 4 times today.

Everyone's response to treatment is different but I know my husband is glad he's tried them all even if they only made a little difference to life expectancy.

I have also posted without any real question, just being able to put it here helps with the tangle of emotions and everyone who responds are so thoughtful and kind, they just "get it".

I hope the results from the PET show something positive. Thinking of you

Katie