I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

post opp

User
Posted 17 Jan 2019 at 16:16

hi just to say i have now had my opp 14/1/19 1 ngts stay in hospital discharded late tue ngt 15/1/19 just getting used to emptying the bag etc, been out for 2 short walks, but very slow at the moment the worst thing is abdomen is very; very tender, but haven't had to take any pain killers as yet.  but just 3 days after opp, from getwell

User
Posted 17 Jan 2019 at 18:14

I was told by my surgeon to take the pain killers as prescribed for at least the first week, dont wait until you need them. He said they are to avoid the pain rather than stop it once you get it because otherwise you are using enregy fighting pain rather than healing/ recovering. I followed his advice and after a week reduced them very quickly with little pain.

It worked for me. The catherter was removed after a week and the next day I began to build up walking distances. By 5 weeks I was walking 12 miles and went back to work.

Good luck with your ongoing recovery

Cheers
Bill

Edited by member 18 Jan 2019 at 08:08  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 17 Jan 2019 at 17:45

So far so good then, and best of luck with your recovery.

I have had more pain from a sore throat, but the worst aspect was the itchy scabs where the laparoscopic abdominal punctures were made, three of which became infected as the ‘dissolvable’ sutures did not.

Three nurse visits and two lots of antibiotics to follow!

Still breathing and smiling anyway.

Cheers, John.

Edited by member 17 Jan 2019 at 17:47  | Reason: Not specified

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 17 Jan 2019 at 17:45

So far so good then, and best of luck with your recovery.

I have had more pain from a sore throat, but the worst aspect was the itchy scabs where the laparoscopic abdominal punctures were made, three of which became infected as the ‘dissolvable’ sutures did not.

Three nurse visits and two lots of antibiotics to follow!

Still breathing and smiling anyway.

Cheers, John.

Edited by member 17 Jan 2019 at 17:47  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 17 Jan 2019 at 18:14

I was told by my surgeon to take the pain killers as prescribed for at least the first week, dont wait until you need them. He said they are to avoid the pain rather than stop it once you get it because otherwise you are using enregy fighting pain rather than healing/ recovering. I followed his advice and after a week reduced them very quickly with little pain.

It worked for me. The catherter was removed after a week and the next day I began to build up walking distances. By 5 weeks I was walking 12 miles and went back to work.

Good luck with your ongoing recovery

Cheers
Bill

Edited by member 18 Jan 2019 at 08:08  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 18 Jan 2019 at 10:48

thanks john for your post, i have staples in place were robotic punture wounds, arms went in , distric nurse comeing on 24/1/19 to take them out, i have a shower every other day, and hand wash round that area every day, + told to keep cathater bag clean as possible , am trying to keep my in take of 3/to 4/ pnts of water a day up, but colour in bag is still a rusty red i suppose this is normal ? cathater is to come out on the 28/1 /19/ i'm on day 4 now post opp, bowels nearly back to normal and haven't had to resort to laxatives am moveing around a bit quicker now ie walking up and down the stairs, but am mindfull not to run befor i can walk, etc ,  cheers to every on on here  Dave [getwell]

User
Posted 18 Jan 2019 at 10:55

thanks bill for your post my surgeon only spoke to me the morning after i had opp, while doing his rounds , and just said my prostate was bigger than they thought and he took more of the surrounding area away, and that was that ,never mentioned takeing pain killers, but i will take note of what you've said many thanks bill Dave[getwell]