I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

The wait

User
Posted 12 Apr 2019 at 13:53

So DH has rising PSA and strong family history (dad and two brothers), has had a MpMRI and is awaiting biopsy. The biopsy was originally scheduled for April 24th but he was diagnosed with bronchitis yesterday and the doctor now wants to wait until the end of May for the biopsy so that his immune system is 100%. He has a good doctor and I am sure he weighed the benefits and risks, it just really sucks. What have you done to deal with the wait??

User
Posted 12 Apr 2019 at 16:31
I think Sally, you would be better to consolidate this new post with your previous one so as to provide a continous time-line, rather than a separate thread for each event, unless this is yet another family member with suspicious readings.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 12 Apr 2019 at 18:59

I seem to be unsure of the structure of the board. This was not a question about symptoms or his particular case, which is why I did not attach it to the others, but more about what strategies others use during the wait. I think we could use some ideas at this point;). Sorry if I misunderstood and posted in the wrong spot.

Edited by member 12 Apr 2019 at 18:59  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 12 Apr 2019 at 19:04
Sally, create one thread, “Sally’s dad’s treatment thread” or whatever you want to call it, and post everything there. It’ll make it far easier for people to keep up to date with the story.

I’m afraid waiting is just part of the game, and you just have to take it a day at a time. Keep yourself busy, try not to think about cancer, and DON’T come here every day where you’ll just be reminded of it. If you’ve got to wait for 6 weeks or so, perhaps consider a holiday if that’s practical?

Very best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 13 Apr 2019 at 16:30

The waiting is very hard Sally, we do understand the difficulty. I do think the other answers sound a little harsh to my ears, I hope that’s just my oversenstive soul! I know the guys intend to help. I think the waiting is the worst of it in many ways, I’m one who finds knowledge helpful, I can deal with the known, but not so much the unknown. I think your GP is very sensible, a biopsy in that area can and does cause infection, so it’s a bad idea to do it whilst an infection is in active stage. 

How to cope with the waiting, I have honestly no idea how we coped, I think we just lived Day by day and tried not to think about it too much. I guess until we had the actual diagnosis we could kid ourselves that it wasn’t that bad, maybe that is what kept us going. What I do remember, in our case was having a PSA result in October and then only getting a full diagnosis on 23rd Dec! And that was going down the normal route.

One thing I do know is that time is relentless and keeps on turning. I for one was grateful to find this forum and for the knowledge it gave me, I think it’s made our journey a little more scary at times but also because I crave knowledge, it has given me what I needed.  I hope all works out for you.

love Devonmaid xxxx

User
Posted 13 Apr 2019 at 18:18
With a large prostate, a recent clear mpMRI and a reasonably low PSA, you should try to be positive & hopeful, as you are really in no different situation to the one you were in when you got the mpMRI results. I can see why you would be concerned about the free PSA stat but your husband's PSA is right at the lower end of the range for reliability of free PSA.

It may still turn out to be okay.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard