RP December 16th 2019

User
Posted 14 Dec 2019 at 16:44

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Hope all goes well on Monday. 

Cheers Ido4

User
Posted 14 Dec 2019 at 21:20
Best wishes mate. Long journey but not all bad. It’s what you make it !
User
Posted 14 Dec 2019 at 22:00

Hi Dave,

You're relaxed, that's good. I hope everything goes well on Monday, and a smooth recovery in the days/weeks ahead.

Kev.

User
Posted 15 Dec 2019 at 08:21

Hi Dave,

You're relaxed, that's good. I hope everything goes well on Monday, and a smooth recovery in the days/weeks ahead.

Kev.

Cheers Kev

User
Posted 15 Dec 2019 at 08:23

Best wishes mate. Long journey but not all bad. It’s what you make it !
Cheers Chris

User
Posted 15 Dec 2019 at 11:15

Best wishes for tomorrow, enjoy the sleep and remember that catheter will save you getting out of bed in the night for a few days.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 15 Dec 2019 at 11:41

Best wishes for tomorrow, enjoy the sleep and remember that catheter will save you getting out of bed in the night for a few days.

Thanks Chris

it will be my first lie in for as long as I can remember. Haha

User
Posted 16 Dec 2019 at 19:22

Update Post op. 6 hours

Feeling much better now the anesthetic has worn off. However I am having an issue with my pain med since they have stopped my medication of Gabapentin and tramadol. For chronic lower back pain. Sitting up in bed is very painful and I have to lie on my side for some relief. Appreciate they were giving me morphine intreveinously but that has stopped too and gave me 1 tramadol and 2 paracetamol Since this morning.

Good news is the Surgeon came to see me in recovery and said no need to fit a drain. Procedure went very well and managed to save one group of nerves. Also says should be no reason to not go home tomorrow. 6 hours passed since come around and still not up and about. No bowl movements and stomach pain beginning to build as well. Still pleased I went down this route. Good news is wound pain is not too bad, no shoulder pains yet and no swelling so far so hopefully will get some sleep tonight with remembering to buy some ear plugs.

Any input is always appreciated. Thanks Dave

User
Posted 16 Dec 2019 at 19:36

Hi Dave

Great news all went ok. 

l took some lactulose syrup day 2 and went through me pretty fast to get things started. Peppermint tea was also very good at settling stomach and getting motions going.

good news on drain as I dodged that bullet too. Recommend him veg/fruit in your diet to help get bowel back in sync. I didn’t suffer too much with this. Was explosive liquid day 2 but then I had distension until day 4 and bowel opening was hard and large and I was mindful not to strain. Prunes, veg, lactulose syrup all help as well as peppermint tea so stop the large cramping.

just let staff know if you have pain and they should be able to manage this for you. I had a epidural (ouch) but the pain relief after even sorted my bad back for a week or so. Keep taking the tablets when given even if you don’t need them at that minute.

I thought I dodged the gas pain too but it hits me end of day 2 then 3 and 4. Painful but knowing what it was mitigated any concerns. Get mobile and move shoulder and arms to helps disperse it. 

I suspect you will be in bed until day 2 then will be mobilised. Should be fine after the first few steps.

Hope you get a nights sleep. I gave up trying to sleep and just messed around with tv and Internet.

TG

User
Posted 16 Dec 2019 at 20:42

TG. Thanks for the reply. I was not aware you had to supply laxatives whilst in hospital. I have lots at home. I just don't think they want to give me my own pain meds. Every time I ask, the message I get is passed up the chain. The I Don't here anything until I ask again. All I can think of is they must have there reason. Just about gave up and just have to wait until 10.pm. And hopefully will be given something then. Looking forward to tomorrow when get my leg bag. Oh the joys! Haha. Still waiting for a leg bag.

Sorry if I sound like I am winging a bit too much and hopefully I Don, t put anyone off. I f it wasn't for my back it would be a walk in the park..

I

User
Posted 16 Dec 2019 at 20:46

Dave 

I had my op at around 8am until lunchtime, my surgeon was quite annoyed with the staff for not having me out of bed for his morning round the next day. Bit of a catch 22, being mobile will help getting the bowels moving, pain killers keep you more comfortable but can make constipation worse. I went 48 hours post op before wanting to pass a motion.

Take it easy but not to easy and no straining when that first motion starts moving.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 16 Dec 2019 at 21:23
Cheers Chris. Nurse came around about 10 minutes ago and give me my Gabapentin but not my Tram. Have to wait another hour for that. They must have their reasons.

User
Posted 16 Dec 2019 at 21:36

Dave

just keep buzzing them. I did the first night as figured problem with the urine pipe and bag. They are very busy so it’s the old thing of the loudest person gets noticed I think. Kinda worked for me but just be clear and let them know of any issues and if they aren’t followed up just chase a bit.

They should be able to supply laxatives via the hospital pharmacy. I got told off for taking my own as they said they need to track anything. The nurse had her work cut out with me and in her french accent called me Mr Google πŸ˜€πŸ€·πŸΌ‍♂️

I know where you are with your back. Night before the op I was doing loads of McKenzie raises and tens machine as it was looking like it might spawn again which would have been a nightmare. Maybe ask for a heat pack for it. Physio should see you post op so maybe ask their advice too. 

TG

User
Posted 16 Dec 2019 at 21:45

Sounds good no drain.

I didn't go to the loo till I got home.  The enema had emptied me and the hospital food was so little and not very good.

Just keep drinking and filling that bag.  Liquid should reduce constipation hardness.

DVT injections were all I got.  I had no pain at all.

User
Posted 16 Dec 2019 at 21:59

Totally keep drinking and flush out the water works. That’s probably best tip from Peter. 

User
Posted 17 Dec 2019 at 04:13

Dave

just keep buzzing them. I did the first night as figured problem with the urine pipe and bag. They are very busy so it’s the old thing of the loudest person gets noticed I think. Kinda worked for me but just be clear and let them know of any issues and if they aren’t followed up just chase a bit.

They should be able to supply laxatives via the hospital pharmacy. I got told off for taking my own as they said they need to track anything. The nurse had her work cut out with me and in her french accent called me Mr Google πŸ˜€πŸ€·πŸΌ‍♂️

I know where you are with your back. Night before the op I was doing loads of McKenzie raises and tens machine as it was looking like it might spawn again which would have been a nightmare. Maybe ask for a heat pack for it. Physio should see you post op so maybe ask their advice too. 

TG

By the time I got my meds last night. It was probably to late as by then, the pain was so much better was so severe they ended up giving me morphine. Worked a treat but now starting to wear off. Almost 4am. Didn't get much sleep as they admitted some one last night who must of travelled AA fair ways? Even with ear plugs I could still hear someone at the other end of the ward. I think some of these problems may have been avoided if I was up and about. I think some of the Gas is accumulated in my stomach area and my lower back instead of my shoulder if that's possible . I have just been told that it is usual to see a physio before getting up and about and I should see one this morning. Cheers Mr Google. I like it.

User
Posted 17 Dec 2019 at 04:16

Totally keep drinking and flush out the water works. That’s probably best tip from Peter. 

I have taken some water even during the night whilst I am awake. Good tip.

User
Posted 17 Dec 2019 at 06:22

Sounds about right. My surgeon said to just keep taking any pain killers even if no pain as when it comes then I won’t have to wait until the meds kick in. Just keep hassling then and should be ok

the gas does move about quite a bit. Try and pass wind if you can. Peppermint tea helped loads for this with me. Then I pretty much fumigated my room but it was such a relief. Felt a bit embarrassed when the nurse came in but she encouraged it as it’s quite important to help things.

yes physio is important before getting up. There is a technique in getting up so as to reduce load/stress across all the stitches outside and in. Basically if you get out left side of bed for instance. You carefully roll onto left side before bringing knees up and over the side of the bed to help you articulate into an upright position. Plus they need to be sure you can stand ok with out pain. They will need to be happy with this and you can say use stairs before release...that’s the acid test so to speak.

They will want to get you mobile as soon as you have a leg catheter bag. Then building up to 2-3k a day walks. This helps massively with longer term outcome and it helps prevent scar tissue just forming and healing in one direction If that makes sense. More you move (gently) then is encourages the scare tissue to evolve in multiple directions meaning it will be more flexible in all directions later on as you heal.

TG

User
Posted 17 Dec 2019 at 06:47

Sounds about right. My surgeon said to just keep taking any pain killers even if no pain as when it comes then I won’t have to wait until the meds kick in. Just keep hassling then and should be ok

the gas does move about quite a bit. Try and pass wind if you can. Peppermint tea helped loads for this with me. Then I pretty much fumigated my room but it was such a relief. Felt a bit embarrassed when the nurse came in but she encouraged it as it’s quite important to help things.

yes physio is important before getting up. There is a technique in getting up so as to reduce load/stress across all the stitches outside and in. Basically if you get out left side of bed for instance. You carefully roll onto left side before bringing knees up and over the side of the bed to help you articulate into an upright position. Plus they need to be sure you can stand ok with out pain. They will need to be happy with this and you can say use stairs before release...that’s the acid test so to speak.

They will want to get you mobile as soon as you have a leg catheter bag. Then building up to 2-3k a day walks. This helps massively with longer term outcome and it helps prevent scar tissue just forming and healing in one direction If that makes sense. More you move (gently) then is encourages the scare tissue to evolve in multiple directions meaning it will be more flexible in all directions later on as you heal.

TG

Thanks for the heads up. Some good ideas. I will ask my wife to get me some peppermint tea. I have started letting off a few farts but Don, t stink the place out. Must be something wrong with my nose. I have just been told I am going home today. Not sure if I am ready yet as never really pain free. However at least I can self medicate and probably get a better night's sleep.

User
Posted 17 Dec 2019 at 06:52

That’s great news and a least there will be good tv and you can sleep. Hopefully you will be pain free as I was. Only pain I ever really had was the gas trapped in m shoulders. I laughed it off when I got it on several occasions but it hurt quite a big. Just moving the area gently helps relieve it.

i was thankful to get my own room but took a roku media box in and hooked that in so could watch streaming tv and movies.

TG

User
Posted 17 Dec 2019 at 08:45

That’s great news and a least there will be good tv and you can sleep. Hopefully you will be pain free as I was. Only pain I ever really had was the gas trapped in m shoulders. I laughed it off when I got it on several occasions but it hurt quite a big. Just moving the area gently helps relieve it.

i was thankful to get my own room but took a roku media box in and hooked that in so could watch streaming tv and movies.

TG

I got access to Netflix and Amazon Prime. In a spare room

User
Posted 17 Dec 2019 at 14:05

Update 17/12/19
All went well with standing and walking but pretty painfull putting on shoes.I Given loads of bags ,injections for a month and that all important instagel . All in all pretty pleased withth  way the operation went and fortunately my wife is a careful driver so not to bumpy going home. Hospital actual got my pain meds correct and on time just before heading off for home.
Now sitting at home and glad that part is now behind me. In eleven days time will be having the clips removed and the catheter removed. Surgeon said he would normally aim for 7 days but didn,t want me dealing with pads etc over Christmas .Also I didn,t need a drain fitted and my urine is almost clear after only a day and a half.
About 3 weeks I should be hearing how the prostate biopsy went to see if there is a negative boundry or not. All in all when sitting at home .It has gone as well as expected.

Edited by member 17 Dec 2019 at 16:24  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 17 Dec 2019 at 17:55

Hi Dave,

It's a great feeling being back at home after the op, and the first major step in your recovery, I savoured that moment. 

Take it easy and have a nice steady recovery.

Kev.

Edited by member 17 Dec 2019 at 17:56  | Reason: Spelling

User
Posted 17 Dec 2019 at 18:10

Think I may have already done too much. Remember I had done absolutely nothing until today. It was quite a long walk to the car. Then unpacking. Maybe should have got the wife to do that sorting out everything I was given.

User
Posted 17 Dec 2019 at 20:00

Hi Dave

May you recovery continue at home. Rest up. No lifting. 

Edited by member 17 Dec 2019 at 22:12  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 17 Dec 2019 at 21:21
Dave, the really important thing is not to try lifting anything that weighs more than about 1kg. You've had all sorts of abdominal muscles cut and they take a long time to heal. Take it easy and listen to what your body is telling you.

Best wishes for your recovery,

Chris
User
Posted 18 Dec 2019 at 06:21

Cheers Guys your help is most appreciated. Just had the most wonderful deepest 8 hours sleep. By did I need it!

User
Posted 18 Dec 2019 at 10:05

Give myself an injection last night. Think it went OK but not sure how far to put the needle in. I went for about 1mm but noticed a small bruise just under the skin. So not sure.

Just had a lovely shower and sitting/lie feeling quiet comfortable. I am hoping most of the gas is gone as not feeling much pain. Shuffling about is getting easier.No pain in the end of my penis but keeping everything super clean down there. No swollen or black balls yet. After the night in the hospital with difficulty get pain meds. I now feel pretty lucky how things have gone so far.

User
Posted 18 Dec 2019 at 11:56

Sounds like you are doing well. Nice to be in the home comforts that’s for sure,

I guess you are on clexane injections by sanofi?

User
Posted 18 Dec 2019 at 12:24

Dalteparin sodium 5000iu anti-FXa in 0.2 ml Single dose syringe.

User
Posted 18 Dec 2019 at 12:31

Cool. Mine goes in a few mm probably 5-7 without measuring but needle is super fine. I put it in front thigh which nurses showed. Alternative a preferable is fatty side of stomach pinched I think but I’m happy with thighs as found an area without much feeling so almost feel nothing. Be nice to get the compression stockings off next week.

User
Posted 18 Dec 2019 at 13:16
TechGuy are you pinching the skin on the leg as well as the fatty bit on the stomach? Also do you need to ware a night bag when just lying down for a nap? Does the bag still drain if attached to the leg and horizontal? Just a couple of questions on my mind.
User
Posted 18 Dec 2019 at 14:11

Hi Dave, pinch your skin & inject into the stretched skin, I did mine on my stomach & then often in my thigh, the knack is finding a fatty bit on the body. At night I used the larger bag which still drained even though lying horizontally, I gave up alcohol for the whole period until catheter removed & drank less tea or coffee, caffeine makes you urinate more.

Hope this is of some assistance,

james

User
Posted 18 Dec 2019 at 14:15

Hi Dave,

My Dalteparin went in subcutaneous which is a deeper layer than skin. My other half did most of mine, she put the needle all the way in to a good pinch of my abdomen. I found it easier that way and she probably enjoyed it too. I got some bruises but they cleared in time.

Kev.

User
Posted 18 Dec 2019 at 14:27

Hi Dave

No pinching on thigh. I just find a spot where it will go in all the way without too much pain etc Area on my left leg is slightly numb from an old martial arts injury so making use of that. 

the clexane I have is really well designed and nurse said thigh is fine as that’s what she used when my stomach was well worn from all the ports.

i only use the night bag at night as I go to bed. I’m just mindful of pipe routing so less chance of pinching it off etc. Flowed find across legs and down side of bed into the 2ltr night bag on the stand in a builders bucket. During the day I did get caught once or twice with my mobile 500ml bag when napping. Woke up and it was at max pressure. So I just waddled you the loo to empty. I think if I had needed one longer I would have been tempted to get the 750ml expansion tank and hooked that down my leg.

As Chris said it’s wise to empty well before being full I think for hygiene and backtracking reasons although all my valves were non return type.

enjoy your Wednesday and should be over the catheter before you know it.

User
Posted 18 Dec 2019 at 16:45

Cheers for all the responses and will try different places until I find which is the best place for injection. However it sounds like I need to be going a bit deeper. Regards the bag and was wondering if that is not a non-return valve in the catheter to prevent urine travelling back up the tube?

User
Posted 18 Dec 2019 at 18:17

Dave

The catheter does not normally have a non return valve, the leg bag has a non return design. Some bags have a flap that closes, some have an arrangement of wafers that prevent backflow. When I started the journey nearly six years ago bags did not have backflow control, if you got a blockage you could lift the bag higher than the bladder and it would push the blockage back up the pipe. The current setup is called a closed system and once a component is removed it should be replaced with a new sterile item. On a catheter forum I belong to the night bag is a frequent topic of arguments.On some night bags the drain tap has to be broken to drain and is thrown away once used. On a night bag with a reusable tap my DN tells me in the home environment they can be reused for 7 days. If you have been given 10-14 night bags change it every day. A night bag is usually attached to the leg bag spout. 

I attach my night bag tube to my ankle with a leg strap or bag strap. I am a fairly restless sleeper and never have problems with pipes kinking. 

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 18 Dec 2019 at 20:29
The injection needs to go in a lot further than 1mm. Pinch a fold of flesh and don't be afraid to really stick the needle in - it's very fine so it shouldn't hurt.

Best wishes,

Chris
User
Posted 18 Dec 2019 at 22:18

Dave

The catheter does not normally have a non return valve, the leg bag has a non return design. Some bags have a flap that closes, some have an arrangement of wafers that prevent backflow. When I started the journey nearly six years ago bags did not have backflow control, if you got a blockage you could lift the bag higher than the bladder and it would push the blockage back up the pipe. The current setup is called a closed system and once a component is removed it should be replaced with a new sterile item. On a catheter forum I belong to the night bag is a frequent topic of arguments.On some night bags the drain tap has to be broken to drain and is thrown away once used. On a night bag with a reusable tap my DN tells me in the home environment they can be reused for 7 days. If you have been given 10-14 night bags change it every day. A night bag is usually attached to the leg bag spout. 

I attach my night bag tube to my ankle with a leg strap or bag strap. I am a fairly restless sleeper and never have problems with pipes kinking. 

Thanks Chris

Cheers Chris I thought there is a non return valve somewhere couldn't remember where I have seen it. The night bags have a break off connection so I assume can only be used once. I only have enough for the week but have been assured more will be sent out to me. Hope so as I Don, t want to run out over the Xmas period.

User
Posted 19 Dec 2019 at 07:31

DAY 3 Post opp Another hurdle completed this morning. Opened my bowel this morning immediately after getting up and around. Very little effort needed but really glad I started on the laxative as soon as I got home. I am now a liitle tender when sitting down even when on a pillow.

User
Posted 19 Dec 2019 at 08:27

Good to hear you have that in hand.

Yeah avoid sitting on anything firm for. Week or so. Sitting on my home office chair would bring on a bleed in urine for me as the bladder would be irritated. Talking to a doctor friend he recommended Hard seats as much as possible as lots of swelling and bruising downstairs plus weak blood vessels trying to heal. ‘Deck chair mode’ of the sofa works well :-)

User
Posted 19 Dec 2019 at 10:27

Last night when I was fitting the night bag I noticed that fitting the tube to the bottom was not what I would call totally secure. The male end is tapered and cerated but the female is not and does not enter very far. I am a bit worried thing with a bit of a tug this could come apart and allow urine to escape.

Are people undoing any of the leg straps  and if so which ones. I sleep on my side and usual turn over a couple of times and could possible get tangled up. I can,t remember having this issue the last time I wore the bag, but think it was a slightly different design .

Looking ahead My wife and I bought tickets to take the grand son to see THe SNOWMAN  preformed my the Northern Symphonia. This for next monday which is only a week after surgery. Realistacly is this going to be to soon. Distance traveled in the car and  walking is similar to  when I traveled home from hospital/

Edited by member 19 Dec 2019 at 10:36  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 19 Dec 2019 at 11:12

It’s a good point reference the night bag. The male side of mine was graduated so I just pushed the tube on similar to how the nursing staff had pushed it on. Maybe call and ask?

For me sitting upright one week on would have been quite uncomfortable. 

User
Posted 19 Dec 2019 at 11:39

It’s a good point reference the night bag. The male side of mine was graduated so I just pushed the tube on similar to how the nursing staff had pushed it on. Maybe call and ask?

For me sitting upright one week on would have been quite uncomfortable. 

This was my thoughts too as the seats are just wooden so might not be very nice. Looks like I might have to  get a substitute for me rather than cancel. I might give the  Nurse a call about the bag.Cheers

User
Posted 19 Dec 2019 at 12:14

Problem solved regarding night bags. When disconectting the night bag the first night I had accidentally removed the little rubber tube that fits over the end of the day bag.

User
Posted 19 Dec 2019 at 13:36

The male end is tapered and cerated but the female is not and does not enter very far. I am a bit worried thing with a bit of a tug this could come apart and allow urine to escape

I cut the tip off.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 20 Dec 2019 at 20:22

Pelvic Floor Exercises

Just going through the paperwork received when leaving hospital. For the second time I have received instructions for the above. I started doing some prior to the having the RARP.

I am sure I have read somewhere either on here or somewhere else not to start these again until the catheter is removed. Although I am feeling pretty good for day four. I still have some tenderness down that area and sometimes sore when I sit. I still get the odd fleck of blood in the bag usually after a bowel movement.

I really can, t find anything in the literature from the hospital when to start but don, t want to give myself any unnecessary pain. On the other hand want to gain some control as soon as possible after catheter removal.

Edited by member 20 Dec 2019 at 20:31  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 20 Dec 2019 at 20:32

I was told to wait until catheter out then a few days after that as would be tender and sore. 

User
Posted 20 Dec 2019 at 20:47

Post catheter removal is advised. 

Can recommend NHS  Squeezy for Men App 

User
Posted 20 Dec 2019 at 20:55

Dave

As the previous two posts wait until the catheter is out.  I would have thought flexing the joint can't help the healing process.

From this site 

https://prostatecanceruk.org/about-us/news-and-views/2014/9/the-manual_-pelvic-floor-exercises

Thanks Chris

Edited by member 20 Dec 2019 at 21:02  | Reason: Not specified