I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

infection?

User
Posted 30 Apr 2020 at 17:16

Hi, I had my prostate removed january and I was thinking if perhaps I may be open to urinary infections in the future?

I ask as I the only one Ive had is the one that led to me having Cancer discovered. Now Ive got another one!!

Thanks

User
Posted 30 Apr 2020 at 23:33

Terry 

" the use of absorbent pads is associated with an increased risk of developing UTIs. "

As well as the quote above I did find that the use of conveens needed extra effort in the personal hygiene department. 

Getting a good clean sample of urine for  culture growing can be a challenge, I have had numerous samples come back as " contaminated".  Google urine samples for some recommend procedures.

A recurring UTI may be a symptom of another problem in the Urethra so keep an eye on it, strong smelling urine is not a good sign. 

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 01 May 2020 at 00:35

In men, around 70% of UTIs are caused by outflow obstructions (peeing slowly), resulting in incomplete voiding (not emptying your bladder before you stop peeing).

That may be what triggered your first one, since prostate cancer can cause outflow obstruction.

Is your flow rate slow now? It would not be surprising if you were at a higher risk while the surgery was still healing, even if flow rate is normal, so it might be that the two UTIs are not related.

You might try double voiding, to check that you are fully emptying your bladder. You do this by waiting 30 seconds after peeing, and then try peeing again. If you get a reasonable amount out (and not just a few drips produced by your kidneys in the 30 seconds), then you are still incomplete voiding, which raises your chances of a UTI.

User
Posted 01 May 2020 at 09:32

Hi Chris,thanks for reply. When you say coneens do you mean urinary sheaths?

Also,whats the 'culture' bit about?

Terry

User
Posted 01 May 2020 at 09:34

Hi,my flow rate is excellent now!! Ill try what you said about double voiding,thanks

Terry

User
Posted 01 May 2020 at 11:18

Terry

Yes conveens are a make/ model of sheath.

When you suspect a water infection your GP would probably ask for a urine sample. Dipping a test strip into the urine may show certain things including the possibility of an infection. The GP may send a sample off to the hospital and or lab to be tested, I don't know the exact process but the urine is put in a dish to see what grows , and it is sometimes referred to as growing a culture.

I am told sending a "dipped" sample to the lab should be avoided. Either some of the sample should be drawn off for the dip test or a separate sample should be taken and put in a red top sample tube, the red top tubes have chemicals in to preserve the sample. 

The result will tell the GP /clinician which is the right antibiotic  to treat the bacteria they found. Getting the right antibiotics is important.

Hope you don't get too many.

Thanks Chris

Edited by member 01 May 2020 at 12:06  | Reason: Duplicate word

User
Posted 01 May 2020 at 11:55

Thanks for that Chris