I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

recovery time

User
Posted 03 Feb 2021 at 16:53

So two weeks into my post op recovery, staples out yesterday but catheter had to stay in as I have been told that I will have a Cystogram next week and the Catheter is needed for that procedure.

I have managed my recover well but am trying to look ahead and carry on with my life. Employed in building maintenance so quite a lot of heavy lifting and very manual, I am also registered to run the Cardiff half marathon which has been rescheduled 3 times and is hopefully going to go ahead this October. I have been walking 2 to 3 miles a day for the past week, there has been some discomfort, (wounds, staples and catheter) but overall fairly good.

I'm 65 Y.O.A and wondering if anyone can advise how long it could take before I should start lifting heavy weights again?

Thank you in advance

Rob

Edited by member 04 Feb 2021 at 09:17  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 03 Feb 2021 at 18:36
You’ve had major abdominal muscles cut, Rob. When I had a nephrectomy operation, which cuts the same muscles, it took a good three months before I could do anything strenuous, and six months to get back to near normality. Your body will tell you when you’re overdoing it. Pay heed to abdominal muscular pain and stop when the pain tells you to.

Wishing you a speedy recovery,

Chris

User
Posted 03 Feb 2021 at 21:28
Ask your surgeon at your post-op review but I would say at least 3 months before doing any medium or heavy lifting. Men who have had RP are at increased risk of hernia anyway but particularly by overdoing things too early.

You should be fine for your half marathon though, even if you are still wearing incontinence pads!

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 04 Feb 2021 at 09:21

Yoko 

Do you know what prompted the need for the cystogram ? If they suspect an issue with the anastomosis then as already said don't go doing to much.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 04 Feb 2021 at 11:46

Yoko 

Makes sense, sounds like you are in good hands. 

I was back behind my desk after five weeks and driving a few hundred miles a week visiting sites after 7 weeks. I kept away from lifting for a long period. Post op I got tired quite quickly when on the Road.

Hope all goes well, lovely dog.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 04 Feb 2021 at 14:06
colwickchris,

Thinking about driving a few hundred miles a day would tire me out :-D, but yes I must admit that's something I didn't mention,the tiredness is having an effect on me,hope it passes.

This is all good advice as I can be quite inpatient so will pull back on the reins and listen to my what my body is telling me.

Thank's, I Love all dogs and we have had few, that one is a Bernese Mountain Dog we also have a chocolate Lab,oh and mustn't forget the boss, the Cat :-)

All the best Chris.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 03 Feb 2021 at 18:36
You’ve had major abdominal muscles cut, Rob. When I had a nephrectomy operation, which cuts the same muscles, it took a good three months before I could do anything strenuous, and six months to get back to near normality. Your body will tell you when you’re overdoing it. Pay heed to abdominal muscular pain and stop when the pain tells you to.

Wishing you a speedy recovery,

Chris

User
Posted 03 Feb 2021 at 21:28
Ask your surgeon at your post-op review but I would say at least 3 months before doing any medium or heavy lifting. Men who have had RP are at increased risk of hernia anyway but particularly by overdoing things too early.

You should be fine for your half marathon though, even if you are still wearing incontinence pads!

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 04 Feb 2021 at 09:21

Yoko 

Do you know what prompted the need for the cystogram ? If they suspect an issue with the anastomosis then as already said don't go doing to much.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 04 Feb 2021 at 10:57

Hi Chris, hope all is well.

I had my R.P on the 21/01/21 and a week later received an appointment for the Cystogram in the post which came as a shock as I wasn't told before before being discharged. Anyway I attended my appointment to have the staples and catheter removed, having read that they would need to to catheterize me for the Cystogram I thought I had best mention it to the Continence team, lucky I did as they weren't told either :-/.

So to answer your question, I have been told that not everyone has this procedure patients are selected at random and its purpose is to check that the Urethra where it has been re-attached is or has healed, there are no leaks and nothing else untoward going on in the bladder.

I just had a thought, I have had 4 hernia repairs in the past so perhaps its just a precaution.

Edited by member 04 Feb 2021 at 11:11  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 04 Feb 2021 at 11:46

Yoko 

Makes sense, sounds like you are in good hands. 

I was back behind my desk after five weeks and driving a few hundred miles a week visiting sites after 7 weeks. I kept away from lifting for a long period. Post op I got tired quite quickly when on the Road.

Hope all goes well, lovely dog.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 04 Feb 2021 at 14:06
colwickchris,

Thinking about driving a few hundred miles a day would tire me out :-D, but yes I must admit that's something I didn't mention,the tiredness is having an effect on me,hope it passes.

This is all good advice as I can be quite inpatient so will pull back on the reins and listen to my what my body is telling me.

Thank's, I Love all dogs and we have had few, that one is a Bernese Mountain Dog we also have a chocolate Lab,oh and mustn't forget the boss, the Cat :-)

All the best Chris.