I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Return to work

User
Posted 03 Aug 2021 at 10:25

Hi, I'm 4.5 wks post RP, came out with drain and catheter. Had drain and staples out after two weeks, same day back in hospital for two nights treated for sepsis. Had scan - cystogram - to check for leakage. There was a v clear leak so catheter remains in now, another scan next week and try again.

I am ok for short walks 20/30 minutes ... If slow. Doing bits in garden and house but nothing heavy. Sleeping a great deal including in the afternoons. Everything uncomfortable.

Am not driving yet, my work is not physically challenging but is not simply desk work either. I manage a outreach team working with homeless people.

Is anyone in a similar situation with their progress being held up and how long did you take off work, not drive and how long did your catheter remain in?

Hope to hear from you

Regards

User
Posted 03 Aug 2021 at 16:16
My bloody catheter was removed on day ten post-op, I felt fine on the day of my discharge and managed to visit three pubs on the 120 mile drive home. They did tell me to drink plenty of fluids!

I was a bit fatigued for a couple of days, and a bit drowsy, but as my ‘work’ mainly involves tapping into an iPad keyboard, I could recommence right away.

As I suggested before, the biggest encumbrance is the catheter and its attendant plumbing, so once that’s gone, hopefully you’ll be away with a mixer!

Don’t try to do too much too soon.

Best of luck.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 03 Aug 2021 at 18:52

My husband had open RP which takes a little longer to recover from. He had a company car and the insurers would not cover him until 12 weeks post-op so although he did some emails/ phone calls from 10 weeks onwards, he didn't actually go to work until week 12.

You will need to check with your car insurer but they often say that they will cover you as long as the surgeon has confirmed you are safe to drive. Some insurers rely on the patient leaflet issued by the hospital - and commonly, the leaflet says you can drive as soon as you feel you can do an emergency stop safely.

For keyhole RP rather than open, a return to work at 6-10 weeks post op is common.

Edited by member 03 Aug 2021 at 22:01  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 03 Aug 2021 at 20:54

Thanks John, have managed a few pints myself 🙂

I think the infection and not healing internally etc has held everything up.

Hopefully the next few weeks will make a difference.

Best regards

User
Posted 03 Aug 2021 at 21:31

Many thanks Lyn 

I've read several of your posts you are well informed on these subjects and give useful responses.

This Thursday is 5 weeks post op, my catheter is still in situ, internally I've not yet healed yet and there was the sepsis.

At present am due back in work after 6 wks on Friday 13th ... So with out being superstitious may as for an extra week or two!

Again, many thanks for your reply.

Take care

User
Posted 03 Aug 2021 at 22:03
6 weeks is too soon - I am sure your urology nurse or GP will arrange for a further 2 or 4 weeks on a fit note for you.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 03 Aug 2021 at 22:35

In a similar role, oversee/manage a team preventing homlessnes, ie helping folk maintain tenancies. So yes agree that it's not the most straight forward of jobs!  I just done post about work (maybe something in there of help);but am in a different situation than yourself with the PC.

I found 8 months being off work, made a difficult return due to changes in the workplace and  relationships with the team, it was like starting a new job! However for the good of my health, 8 months off worked well so I'm glad I did.

Diving is a thought.. my better half has banned me from the car but I'm perfectly able to drive. Someone bumped in to the back of me but was my fault according to the better half! Joking apart she is just being apprehensive in case I do cause an accident and we loose the car as a result of being on meds so better safe than sorry. Also has its positives though as able to have a couple of beers if we for example  go out to eat 😁Anyway I've been fixing my motorbike for awhile and nearly done so be on that soon enough. My take on driving is that medication warns if drowsy etc avoid driving, which I would do anyway. So my answer to that if your not told to stop driving by the doc/DVLA  just be mindful of effects of medication.

Well hope to have helped in some way 👍

User
Posted 04 Aug 2021 at 00:08

Thanks Lyn, confirms my thoughts. Always feel slightly guilty taking time off and worse asking or suggesting!

Take care and best regards

User
Posted 04 Aug 2021 at 22:24

Thanks for reply Donchadh, I was back in hospita today for 5 hrs, catheter flush, bloods, DRE back home with more antibiotics!!

I think I will ask for a couple of more weeks more before returning to work.

Best regards

User
Posted 10 Oct 2021 at 00:15

Where does the time go, was August last time I posted.

Well I'm off work again for a variety of reasons but for the best. With benefits, gives me income (not near as enough as working but needs must) and we continue a decent enough lifestyle as the better half works full time. On the whole scale of things I may just stop working as fatigue catches up on my days off and don't do anything, so need to weigh up if work is worth it. 

Hope things are going good for you and taking things in your stride. Our PC differs I guess but the concept of it all can hit us hard really. I personally just crack on with it all and don't let my diagnosis get in the way of my quality of life.

Take care