Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
It’s difficult to know how long to give it to see if it will level off. Rob’s surgeon originally said 0.3 for a PSMA pet scan but after this test he’s said it would be good to start discussions on the pro’s and cons of radiotherapy and when. It could maybe be with it being a fairly significant rise in just 6 weeks.
How long to wait to see if it levels off is a good question. From what I've read if your psa rises fairly quickly after surgery it's better not to wait too long. On the other hand reaching a point where a PSMA scan is useful is also regarded as better. My hospital said it would be 0.5 before they'd put me in for a scan. Although the nurse said some patients have private scans before then.
From what I've read and watched on video a case like your OH should be reading about intense treatment; RT, with HT and chemo in parallel for quite a while. I noticed your onco said pros and cons of RT, for me the cons will be what I have to tolerate and not a reason to avoid. When the time comes we'll see.
I've found this is a hilly track. My psa shot up then went down and then crept up taking a year to pass its previous peak so you can't be certain from individual readings. So good luck, I wish I was at Christies as they have all the gear and reputation although Preston is pretty good except it hasn't a psma scanner so uses Liverpool's.