I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Bone scan?

User
Posted 06 Feb 2022 at 09:25

My diagnosis after MRI and TP biopsy was T2b G3+4 N0MO. RALP with Neurosafe (margins clear and nerves spared) was last November and high volume surgeon declared me 'cured', all cancer removed. Post op pathology revised stage to T3a. I haver never been offered a bone scan but I notice several members here with similar or even milder diagnosis have had one. Should I be concerned? 

User
Posted 06 Feb 2022 at 13:46

I wouldn't be concerned. I don't really know the criteria they use, and perhaps more importantly for the NHS the cost of different types of scan.

It is always possible cancer has spread but less likely in the early stages, so your onco probably decided it was not likely enough to justify a scan.

An advantage to the NHS of doing a scan early is that, if it has spread they can rule out a lot of expensive curative treatments (it's also an advantage to the patient, because he won't suffer pointless interventions, though sadly he is incurable).

Assuming you have a low stable PSA there is no point in looking for problems. If you have recurrence manage it when it shows up in real life, don't go looking for trouble.

Dave

User
Posted 06 Feb 2022 at 14:21

Thanks Dave. 

User
Posted 06 Feb 2022 at 20:14
Not everyone has a bone scan. I had a "full body" MRI instead, which I was told was equally as effective at picking up bone mets.

Cheers,

Chris