I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Why can’t they treat my Lymph node PCa

User
Posted 12 Jul 2023 at 17:16

Cheers Chris . I wonder if Lions ever feel vulnerable and low, they never look it do they   🤔… 

Just not feeling very chatty and don’t really want to see people . You probably know what I mean. 

But I’ll be back , the old Goalhanger will return from the Abyss… 🤣

Cheers

User
Posted 12 Jul 2023 at 19:05

Take the time you need.

Leila.

User
Posted 12 Jul 2023 at 23:26

Looking forward to your usual chatty posts when you feel up to it Phil.  Take care of yourself and  we are thinking of you.

Ange & Keith x

User
Posted 13 Jul 2023 at 19:25

Goalhanger,

Take good care of yourself.  We're all rooting for you.

Best wishes,

JedSee.

User
Posted 20 Jul 2023 at 14:10

Hi Guys, its me again… 

Just got back from a night away in a swanky hotel with the missus for her 60th birthday. We set off home straight after breakfast as she is working this afternoon. Well we got about 200 yards and i had to stop as i felt sick, and ended up barfing my full English over the Rectory wall with a builder looking on. He’s probably thinking I shouldn’t have drunk so much last night , which I didn’t by the way. The missus drove home. Ive been getting this a little while now, not every day and not often fully sick. I will be mentioning it to the consultant next Tuesday in case its related to one of the pills I’m taking.

I’m also getting some fatigue like I’ve never experienced before even on the Prostap or Zoladex. So exhausted i can barely walk and just need to lay down for a couple or 3 hours. Not every day but fairly often now. I’m hoping this will pass eventually but I’ll mention this also. I really don’t want to have to change off the Abi now as it’s reducing the options i have left. It’s getting me down a bit although wont mention this to the missus.

Hotel was lovely by the way, service was perfect, room was excellent albeit it a bit noisy ( thanks to the upstairs guest who decided to start talking at 3am and TV on loud at 6am). It is in a Suffolk country village renowned for its medieval architecture and all that stuff. We had half a day and the night and it was interesting but we are city people really. We love the buzz of a city and we also love the sea/water. We had to dodge all the couples in their funny hats, walking boots and hiking sticks studying the plaques on the walls saying how old the houses were ……. Each to their own 😄. Apologies to those reading who own funny hats, walking boots and hiking sticks 🤣. I probably looked well out of place in my polo shirt, shorts and white trainers…. 🤷

Take care everyone, I’m sure i will be back again with some comments about Life, The Universe and Everything…

Phil

User
Posted 20 Jul 2023 at 20:59

Thanks Goalhanger,

Hope things start to improve soon.  Look after yourself.

Best wishes,

JedSee.

User
Posted 20 Jul 2023 at 21:11

Hi Phil

No exactly where your coming from.

All the best regards Phil 

User
Posted 20 Jul 2023 at 23:38

Sorry  to see you are having such nasty side effects, hope they abate soon. But the birthday hotel sounds lovely. 
I have some decent walking boots but no funny hats,a woolly one for winter if that counts.

Leila 

User
Posted 26 Jul 2023 at 09:59

Morning guys, saw my consultant yesterday and my PSA has dropped to 7 from 9.3 2 weeks ago. So well pleased, was prepared for the worst. I nearly burst into tears… in my head I was even thinking about my funeral 🤦‍♀️
Still keeping me on 2 weekly visits and tests for a while yet as Testosterone is still not as low as it should be. So hoping that will drop soon. Only been on the Abi 26 days.

My other readings are all ok so far, like liver and BP so that’s good. Just the random fatigue being the only side effect that I notice. 

Take care peeps
Phil

User
Posted 26 Jul 2023 at 19:02

Thanks Goalhanger,

Yes, you can put away the funeral plan for a while yet.  So far, so good.  Long may it continue.

Best wishes,

JedSee.

User
Posted 26 Jul 2023 at 20:32

Congratulations, great news.

User
Posted 26 Jul 2023 at 22:18

Great news Phil, just what you needed to hear.   Take care, Ange x

User
Posted 26 Jul 2023 at 23:49
Whoop whoop!
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 27 Jul 2023 at 12:30

A reduction in PSA!!! 

Absolutely brill.

User
Posted 27 Jul 2023 at 12:33

Thank you everyone, still cant quite believe it…. I’m still a bit speechless which is pretty unusual for me ….

Phil

User
Posted 27 Jul 2023 at 13:03

Fantastic news Phil really pleased for you 👍gaz

User
Posted 27 Jul 2023 at 14:28

Congratulations good news long May it continue 

ann

User
Posted 27 Jul 2023 at 19:26
Really fantastic news Phil. You’ll be here for a good while yet I’m sure. Take care buddy
User
Posted 10 Aug 2023 at 13:24

My fortnightly update : PSA now gone down to 6.1 ( from 7, 2 weeks ago and 9 2 weeks before) so 9 to 6 in 4 weeks not too bad. Feeling very relieved as I was worried the last drop was going to be a blip. 
Testosterone also dropping now , so the Abi definitely doing something. Blood pressure perfect and no other issues to worry about. Still keeping me on 2 weekly checks for a while though. Just a pain going to hospital for blood test, then back again for consultation and then again to pick up more tablets, every 2 weeks. But I’m not complaining, really 😁. Just hoping that things progress so I can get back to 3 monthly checks as every 2 weeks can be quite stressful. 

I did ask about my new lesions , and said I wasn’t sure I should know or need to. She said I don’t need to know , just that the treatment is working. I suppose she’s right really. I’d only worry if it was now in my bones or even elsewhere.

On the grandson front we are still waiting. Due date tomorrow. I just phoned them and they are on the beach having a swim. Hopefully he will pop out this weekend and we can get some flights sorted and be out there Sunday or Monday to see the new addition to our family. Keeping fingers crossed they add Jersey back into Southend airport soon. It’s only 20 mins away whereas Luton is a s*** hole airport and takes over a hour by car (then of course there’s the exorbitant parking fees).

Anyway it looks like the weathers taking a turn for the better now so gotta enjoy it while we can. 24.5deg in my car yesterday…. ☀️ 

Hope everyone is ok out there ?

Take care all of you. 
Phil

Edited by member 10 Aug 2023 at 17:27  | Reason: Added new lesion information.

User
Posted 10 Aug 2023 at 17:59

Great news Phil, really pleased to see your testosterone and PSA dropping.

Best of luck for the new arrival and enjoy your time with the family x

User
Posted 10 Aug 2023 at 19:11

Brilliant news Phil.  Hope it won’t be too long before you’re on 3 monthly checks.  The arrival of your Grandson will be the ‘Icing on the cake’.  Enjoy some precious time with your family xx

User
Posted 11 Aug 2023 at 10:55

That’s sounds really good Phil, excellent news. Keep going, try to keep positive and enjoy the forthcoming grandchild.

Leila 

User
Posted 24 Aug 2023 at 12:24

So here we are again. Latest 2 weekly consultation this morning. Knew it wasn’t great news when i saw my main man coming into the room. PSA still at 6 , so not so good. Testosterone is just above 1 and he said he’d like it below 1 . He thought i was on Degarelix so i corrected him that i was on Prostap monthly. Wonder if changing would make any difference ? I seem to doubt it.

Still not feeling any side effects of the Aberitone so that’s good. Still managing 2 hard 2 hour gym sessions a week plus badminton. I do push too hard but i like that feeling afterwards so as long as its not hurting me ill keep pushing.

He has reduced the Prednisolone to 1 tablet of 5mg instead of 2 . Not sure why that is ? Maybe due to my lack of side effects. Keeping me on 2 weekly visits although he was going to go to a month but i will need a new prescription before then so he said come back in 2 weeks. Hoping to see a reduction in the PSA then and moving onto 1 monthly visits. 

So, all in all not feeling so great . Trying not to think of the reasons for the static PSA. Just hoping my PCa hasn’t become castrate resistant. Also wondering what they will do if it stays static next time and what that means. Will they say stick on the Abi, or will they want to try Enza. Also wondering if it’s ok to have static PSA at 6 ? Does it mean the PCa is still growing but very slowly?

Counselling still interesting … She asked me last time if she had 3 pills but i could only have one which would I choose. First pill would stop me thinking of the past, second one to stop worrying about the future, and the third to make me like myself more. I chose the third straight away, and promptly broke down again.. bloody hell she knows the triggers all right. 

Grandson still not popped out , so still waiting to book flights to see him. Got to be soon as she is 2 weeks overdue tomorrow. 

Gonna have a coffee and a sneaky bit of chocolate bar. I think I’m owed that !

Hope every one is doing ok? 

Take care all,

Phil

User
Posted 24 Aug 2023 at 15:28

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
Testosterone is just above 1 and he said he’d like it below 1 . He thought i was on Degarelix so i corrected him that i was on Prostap monthly. Wonder if changing would make any difference ? I seem to doubt it.

Changing can lower Testosterone. I have heard of people switching both ways between Prostap and Zoladex. It's not that one is always better, but in some people the other one works better.

I don't know the comparison with Degarelix. It gets Testosterone down much faster when you start. It requires 4-weekly injections, which usually generate more inflammation.

User
Posted 24 Aug 2023 at 15:36

Hi Andy. 
I’m not really up on Degarelix… I had Prostap 5 years ago and it worked fine although seriously messed with my head . So when I re-started I opted for Zoladex which didn’t work so swapped back to Prostap which wasn’t enough this time round - hence the Abi. 
I’m not sure why he mentioned Degarelix. 
Oh well, another testing 2 week wait… 

Cheers

Phil

User
Posted 25 Aug 2023 at 11:14

Hi Phil,

Please don’t be too hard on yourself!!  All each of us can do is our best and I know from our conversations on the forum you have certainly done that.  You come across as such a lovely family man and the joy you will feel when you meet and hold your first Grandchild will be absolutely amazing, take it all in Phil and enjoy those precious moments with the love of your family.  I used to worry about what everyone thought about me and I was so easily intimidated by all but now at the age of 71 I cherish each day with my family and friends and I know each day going forward matters more than what’s past and I focus on all the happy memories I have.

Keep doing what you’re doing and stay strong.  

Love to you and your family.

Angex

User
Posted 29 Aug 2023 at 13:03

Well finally we have our little Grandson, Flynn Bailey. He’s so gorgeous, but then I am biased 😁.

Was a difficult birth so ended up with a caesarean but Mother and baby both fine and at home now. He was 9lb 14oz and 53cm long so a bit of a bouncer. He’s actually 4 times the weight I was as a prem baby. 😳

We are flying out Thursday to see him . Hope they get the flights sorted out by then. Can’t wait now… 

Take care everyone, 

Phil

User
Posted 29 Aug 2023 at 13:09

Lovely news, congratulations Phil. Fingers crossed for your flights, have a great time x

User
Posted 29 Aug 2023 at 15:35

How wonderful, congratulations!

User
Posted 05 Sep 2023 at 12:10

Just had a lovely weekend in Jersey seeing our beautiful new Grandson and the new parents… wish I could put photos on here 🤷🏼‍♂️

We made sure we didn’t interfere as they are told different stuff to us 30 odd years ago. We managed a meal out with daughter-in-laws parents which was nice and lunch out by the beach with baby and mum and dad. Plus a couple of sneaky visits to the local Pub beside St Aubin harbour. 

Back home to reality now… Blood test today ready for my consultation Thursday. To say I’m nervous would be a massive understatement. I just feel every drug I’ve tried has worked for a short while then stopped holding back the testosterone production. Bit frightened that this is what’s happening now. But fingers crossed last test was a minor blip as not sure what next steps would be then.
Just got to wait till Thursday 🤦‍♀️

Hope y’all doing good out there ? Sorry if I’ve missed any of your updates as I don’t come on here everyday as I get a bit emotional. Funny I remember coming on here as a newbie full of hope !

Phil

Edited by member 05 Sep 2023 at 12:13  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 05 Sep 2023 at 12:37

Hi Phil

Glad you had a good time with the family,I know exactly where your coming from when getting home to reality to bloodtests and appointments and preparing yourself for results and what the oncos are going to say,but as long as your feeling well,sleeping got your appetite that's gotta be a good thing,there's not a fat lot you can do what's going on inside you,just keep active,eat a good diet and be positive.

All the best regards Phil 

User
Posted 06 Sep 2023 at 09:19

Congratulations to you and your family Phil on the birth of your beautiful Grandson, wonderful news.  I’m keeping everything crossed for you for tomorrow’s results.

Take care,

Angex 

User
Posted 07 Sep 2023 at 12:54

It’s me again.. Just got back from my consultation and my PSA has dropped to 5.4 (from 6) . It’s not much but it’s still a reduction. So well relieved 🙃

But my consultant is not happy with my Testosterone as it’s still above 1 and he wants it lower. So he’s putting me back on Zoladex 1 monthly instead of the Prostap. He said there’s other options if the Zoladex doesn’t work so good. 

He’s also extended my consultation frequency to 4 weeks although it’s turned out to be 5 weeks as he has a holiday… So gives me a bit of breathing space. 

I was pretty much resigned to a rising or static PSA so even this small reduction feels so good. 

I’m going to sit in the garden all afternoon with my book and sod the jobs. Then I’m out for a beer with some mates tonight 👍

Take care everyone, 

Phil

User
Posted 07 Sep 2023 at 14:26

A reduction is good to hear Phil.  Enjoy your afternoon and a beer with mates later..

Angex

User
Posted 07 Sep 2023 at 16:30
Nice one Phil. Chuffed to hear your good news. You’re obviously a bit of a stud if they can’t get your T down. Always thinking of you friend 🙏
User
Posted 07 Sep 2023 at 16:58

You’re obviously a bit of a stud if they can’t get your T down.’

I wish 🤣🤣

Edited by member 07 Sep 2023 at 16:59  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 07 Sep 2023 at 17:19

Going in the right direction. Enjoy the grandchild, the sunshine and always a good book. 

Leila 

User
Posted 22 Sep 2023 at 12:28

Hi guys, just checkin’ in. Just had the first of my next round of Zoladex implants. Don’t understand why my consultant thinks it’ll work now as it didn’t earlier in the year. Got my consultant letter yesterday and he’s written he’s not happy with my T which is still at 1.3 . Feeling a bit down today about it at the moment.
Booked up our next visit to Jersey in a couple of weeks so that’ll cheer me up. And off to see ABBA voyage next weekend with a night in the Tower ( the hotel not the prison 🤣).

Hope you’re all doing well ? 
Phil

User
Posted 22 Sep 2023 at 13:13

Good luck with the Zoladex this time round Phil.  Great to hear that you’ve booked to go to Jersey to see your Grandson and family again, he’ll certainly put a smile on your face, enjoy those ‘special’ cuddles…
Angex

User
Posted 22 Sep 2023 at 14:57
Good luck Phil. Just keep on with all that living and nice times. Thinking of you mate
User
Posted 12 Oct 2023 at 15:16

Hi its me again with a quick update. 
Just had a call from the hospital and my PSA has gone down to 4.75 and my T to 1.0 . So Abi and Zoladex working albeit quite slowly. 
To be honest I was expecting it to be bad news so I’m a bit emotional at the moment and quite tearful. No one knows how long it will keep working but I’ve got to just take each day as it comes. 
Off to Jersey tomorrow from Luton… getting a lift there and back as it’s supposed to be chaos in the remaining parking areas. We were booked in the car park which burnt down…. 
Hoping everyone is doing well ?

Phil

User
Posted 12 Oct 2023 at 15:18

By the way my new Avatar is me having a pint in The Tenby in St Aubin , Jersey. Our sons local and our favourite Pub over there. 

User
Posted 13 Oct 2023 at 23:22

That’s good news Phil.  So pleased to hear you’re off to Jersey again.  As you say, a day at a time and keep doing as much as you’re able to do.  I will picture you at your favourite pub in St. Aubin over the weekend.  Take care and enjoy yourselves with your family.

Ange x

User
Posted 02 Nov 2023 at 12:49

Hi Guys. Having a bit of a wobble thinking of my next blood test and consultant meeting next week …. 😬
So looking forward to going back to 3 monthly checks as the 2 weekly and even 1 monthly is so hard to relax in between although I do understand they want to be sure the Abi is working and no nasty side effects… 

Trying to keep busy , went to the gym Tuesday and still aching from that. But missed my badminton yesterday as me and the missus went to do some Xmas shopping in Chelmsford and out with friends last night to a restaurant we’d not been to and it was lovely 👍. 

Shame the weathers been a bit turbulent… Family in Jersey all ok after a bit of a battering last night. There’s a bit of food shortage over there as boats couldn’t sail and they can’t get Formula milk for the baby so hoping they get a delivery today. 

Hope everyone is ok out there in the big bad world? 

Phil

Edited by member 02 Nov 2023 at 12:50  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 09 Nov 2023 at 14:30

So, latest update after my consultation today . PSA has dropped further to 3.99 from 4.75, which is good. What’s not so good is my Testosterone has gone up to 1.5 . 
My consultant is going to try the 3 monthly Zoladex to see if it helps. 

Anyone any thoughts out there ? Presumably if my PSA has gone down that is good but I’m now worried that my PSA may rise due to the T rising . Like a delayed action. 

Should I be worried by the T or just concentrate on my PSA .

As you may have guessed I’m not feeling confident this treatment is working that well and even with a reduced PSA I’m feeling a bit deflated and tearful. 

This disease certainly takes you on a rollercoaster of emotions . 

Take care 

Phil

User
Posted 07 Dec 2023 at 12:15

Latest update: PSA same as last time at 4 and strangely Testosterone is back to 1.0. 
All other bloods are ok so staying on the 1 prednisone tablet. 
Although we decided not to find out where my cancer had spread to other than the lymph nodes I’m pretty sure now it’s to my bones as my consultant has booked me for a bone scan in 2 weeks. I do have some pain started in my left hip. I’ll find out if it’s PCa related or not after the scan.
Was a bit tearful before the call but overall I think the Citilapram is working better than the Mirtazapine even though I’m still tapering on/off. 

Been out in Jersey every month now and back out for Christmas and our son, his wife and our grandson are flying back with us for a few days in the U.K.

We had a few days in Spain in November visiting friends and it was so lovely and warm. Made me feel so much better sitting in 24deg sun.  And needed a day in France stocking up on wine. It is still so cheap there. The wine supermarket even pay for your ferry ticket plus you get the tax back 😁. And it’s a nice day out 👍

Hope everyone is doing ok and you all have  a brilliant Christmas and New Year.

Take care,

Phil

User
Posted 07 Dec 2023 at 12:19
Living the life, keep it up goalhanger..
User
Posted 08 Dec 2023 at 13:51

Just got a call from the hospital to book another scan. This one’s in the X Ray dept whereas the other one is in the Nuclear Medicine dept. 
Not very up on what all the scans are called. I will need to ask 😁

Phil 

User
Posted 08 Dec 2023 at 13:56
Hey Phil you will be having an upper body CT with the contrast that makes you feel like you’ve wet yourself. The Nuclear medicine is for a bone scan. They’re a pain. You get injected and then have to return 3 hrs later for the scan. Depending on the machine it takes an hour or a half hour. They may ask for additional pictures after. That’s normally when they’ve found something. Good luck friend and keep strong 💪
User
Posted 08 Dec 2023 at 14:12

Hi Phil, 

David had this scan, it was time consuming and we had to hang about in some draughty shopping centre rather then the hospitality of the hospital. He was there about an hour or so, he said it was manageable, the staff were great. He didn’t go into great details, and he got the results quite quickly. 
So pleased you are enjoying your grandchild, they are such gift, squeeze every day of fun with your family.

Leila