Show search

Notification

Error

Why can’t they treat my Lymph node PCa

User
Posted 08 Dec 2023 at 14:52

Hi Leila, Chris. 

I’ve had both those scans before but can never remember the names. πŸ€ͺ

I remember having the one with the injection and we went for lunch before the actual scan which lasted 90 mins. But it was ok , I couldn’t believe I’d been in that long. The wife thought I’d escaped out the back door.. 

The upper body one I recall too. Had to drink this horrible liquid… They did say Thorax, and pelvis and something else. 

Oh well it’s gotta be done. Hope they see what’s up with my hip as it’s pretty painful as the ibuprofen wears off… 

It’s so fascinating to see our grandson every month , he’s changing so quickly. Going to be lovely when they stay with us between Christmas and New Year 😁

Take care 

Phil 

User
Posted 08 Dec 2023 at 18:09

It’s so good to read your latest updates Phil, you’re certainly sounding in good spirits - what a great joy Grandchildren are.  Keep enjoying your time with your family and good luck with your upcoming scans.

Have a great Christmas and New Year.

Ange x

User
Posted 08 Dec 2023 at 20:02
I think you need to avoid children and pregnant women for a while after the bone scan mate. Sounds like a win win to me πŸ˜€

Joking !

User
Posted 09 Dec 2023 at 09:45

Thank you Ange. It’s lovely talking to you guys as I don’t really talk about it to anyone except the wife of course. 
I think most people don’t want to hear it all and those that do ask just want a 10 second summary and then move on. So I don’t mention it anymore to friends. 
We just love seeing our grandson but it’s a bit expensive going out there every month …. It is a joy though seeing him interacting now with his Mum and Dad and us of course 😁.

Thank you for the good wishes for my scans . I’ve got over any fears now and it’s just ‘ oh well, let’s see what’s going on shall we ‘ . 

And Chris , I don’t think I know any pregnant women and don’t see that many little children. We do fly out to Jersey on the 23rd , 2 days after my bone scan so might be interesting at security πŸ€ͺ.

Off to RHS Hyde Hall tonight for ‘Glow’. Which is the gardens all lit up with lights. We’ve been twice before and it’s magical. 

Cheers , take care , hope the weathers a bit brighter where you are? It’s tipping it down here… 

Phil

User
Posted 14 Dec 2023 at 12:13

Well that’s the CT scan out of the way. The aniseed tasting liquid wasn’t too bad. But took the nurse 5 attempts in different places to get the cannula in. So got plasters all over the place. 
Last time I didn’t really notice the contrast dye going in so much, but this time it was very weird. It felt like loads was going in and I got really hot for a few seconds, which is when you think you’ve wet yourself. 
My back is still really painful and my GP has put me on 30mg Co-codamol which is pretty powerful. It’s working but doesn’t last so I have a period where I’m using Ibuprofen to dumb it down. 
Just hoping it’s Sciatica as my GP thinks and not PCa spread.

Take care everyone 

Phil

User
Posted 02 Jan 2024 at 10:41

Hi guys. Happy New Year to you all. Let’s hope 2024 is better for us all. Hope you all had a great time over Christmas and New Year. 

I still don’t have my appointment through and so I’m getting a bit nervous and tearful. Plus I need to arrange a blood test a week before the appointment. Just started on the higher dose of Citilapram so hoping it will kick in soon. Finding it harder to get to sleep now without the Mirtazapine helping but I’m hoping that will get better. 

We had such a manic December and still a little tired from that but getting back to normal routine now the decorations are down . 

Hope the weather clears up a bit too. β˜”οΈ

Take care 

Phil

User
Posted 02 Jan 2024 at 15:31

Hi Phil,

I hope things settle down for you, Christmas can be a hard time, especially all the hype and family stuff, as lovely as it is it can sometimes result in a bit of a post  holiday letdown. Getting back to routines will hopefully help stabilise your life a bit. Getting that appointment may help too.

We both had planned holidays and stuff, but I managed to get a chest infection that seemed to hang around far too long. Thankfully David didn’t get it. So our plans were royally scuppered. 
Let us all know how you get on. 

I hope 2024 is as good as it can be for you and your family. 

Leila. 

User
Posted 03 Jan 2024 at 17:08

Thank you Leila. Yes looking forward to getting back into a routine. Even eating times were all messed up which affected when I could take my Abi. Christmas Day I had to take it at 6pm instead of my normal 8am.. 
Sorry to hear you had to cancel your plans. So annoying especially if you’re not feeling well.

Hope you are back on form now? 

Let’s hope 2024 brings some good things πŸ‘

Take care

Phil

User
Posted 08 Jan 2024 at 11:33

Hi Guys. Well I just received my next appointment at the weekend for this Thursday. That makes it a bit tricky to get my blood test done before. I’ve tried phoning the hospital, no answer so left a message. Also no blood test form in the letter. So in the end I will just go up there tomorrow ( they don’t do blood tests on a Monday) and say I need a blood test form and the test. Maybe he doesn’t need a blood test anymore and will just use scans for reviewing spread. 
My consultant said he’d leave it for 8 weeks last time but this has come at 5 weeks so I’m a bit worried what has shown up on those scans.. 

To say I’m a bag of nerves would be an understatement 😬. I feel very selfish feeling like this as I know I should appreciate every day that I am still relatively healthy. 

Take care everyone, hope you’re all good πŸ‘

Phil

User
Posted 08 Jan 2024 at 12:38

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

To say I’m a bag of nerves would be an understatement 😬.

Don't beat yourself up mate. Its perfectly understandable for you to be anxious. Very best of luck to you.

Adrian.

User
Posted 08 Jan 2024 at 13:25
Good luck Phil. Always thinking of you friend πŸ’ͺ☺️
User
Posted 08 Jan 2024 at 14:13

Hi Phil, 

Thinking about you, the stress times are hard going aren’t they. Let us know how you get on.

Leila 

User
Posted 08 Jan 2024 at 20:01

Hi Goalhanger,

You have nothing to apologize for, and you are not being selfish by being concerned about your own health.  Why shouldn't you be?  Yes, it's good to be glad for every day that we live, but if we're enjoying life then we want it to continue.  So, anything that reminds us of the precarious nature of our existence often brings on anxiety. 

Be kind to yourself.  Hope all goes well at your review.

Best wishes,

JedSee.

User
Posted 09 Jan 2024 at 09:49

Stay strong Phil.  Good luck for Thursday, we’re all there for you.

Ange x

User
Posted 09 Jan 2024 at 10:16

Thank you so much for your lovely messages of support. Really appreciate it and it does help. 
On my last counselling session we talked about being kind to yourself. My first counsellor told me that, and I don’t think I really understood what she meant. I think I finally got it on that last session with my next counsellor . I have to accept I’m not perfect and make mistakes. I think I’ve always thought more of other people and not myself. So maybe it’s time to be a little bit selfish ….. 

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the support. 

Take care

Phil

User
Posted 09 Jan 2024 at 13:21

Counsellor is right, unless you are able to care for yourself, then you can’t really care for others. Might sound selfish, but in reality it isn’t, it’s quite the opposite. 

User
Posted 09 Jan 2024 at 18:07

Hi guys I went to hospital today and told them I needed a blood test for my appointment Thursday… she looked at my form and said this is for July and it’s not for your consultant 🀦‍♀️… I looked again and realised it’s for ED clinic…. What a wally… 

The letters all look the same and it’s hard to tell what they are for… 

So, haven’t got my consultant appointment yet , gotta wait some more…

User
Posted 09 Jan 2024 at 18:27

πŸ€¦‍♀️… I looked again and realised it’s for ED clinic…. What a wally… 

At the ED appointment, let's hope it'll be more a case of.... What a willy!.... 😁

Edited by member 09 Jan 2024 at 18:43  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 09 Jan 2024 at 21:07

At the ED appointment, let's hope it'll be more a case of.... What a willy!.... 😁

🀣🀣

User
Posted 31 Jan 2024 at 14:28

So, latest update from my consultation yesterday. 
PSA has gone up to 5 from 4 so not so good. He told me I have spread to my spine and some ribs, which is slightly worse than the last scan in June. We didn’t know about this spread as I told them I didn’t want to know but he told me this time. 
Interestingly the cancer in my lymph nodes has shrunk a little. 
No mention of any change of meds except Dexamethasone replacing Prednisone because of my tiredness. 
So obviously the Abi + Zoladex isn’t working too good. 
So if I still have cancer which is responding to testosterone would it be a possibility to have the Op - you know the one where they mess with your balls so no more testosterone??? Not something I would like but if it gives me a year or so then maybe … ! 
Was a bit down last night and couldn’t sleep but bit brighter today πŸ‘

Take care everybody

Phil

User
Posted 31 Jan 2024 at 15:10

That’s not so good Phil, the op you’re talking about I think is more common in India, as the medication is too expensive for some men there, but maybe it can be done here. 
I'm keeping my fingers crossed it’s a blip. Maybe think about some of the supplements and stuff we talked about, just a thought. It’s helped David immensely. 
Take care.

Leila.

User
Posted 31 Jan 2024 at 15:22

Hi Leila, I will definitely be looking at the list David sent me. I’ve already started the pomegranate juice πŸ™‚. I did look before but I’m not very good at keeping a regime. 😬

Although I was half expecting this it still kinda gives you a shock . I was quite surprised I didn’t burst into tears but my consultant was so upbeat . Said the increase in PSA was a small jump … 

Just a quiet day today  gathering my thoughts. We have so much we still want to do. 

Thanks 

Phil

User
Posted 31 Jan 2024 at 15:24

New Avatar is me and the missus on the paddle steamer last year. 

User
Posted 31 Jan 2024 at 19:03

Hi Phil, Nice photo of you and your lovely wife.  Sorry to hear about your results, not surprising that you felt down yesterday after receiving them. As we say, tomorrow is another day and you can feel different.  Keep planning your trips to Jersey to see your family/Grandson and do as much as you are able to do.  Thinking of you, take care.

Ange xx

User
Posted 31 Jan 2024 at 19:47

Hi Phil,

The op you’re thinking about is an orchidectomy. I’ve been reading through your profile and this thread Phil, and am sorry after everything you’ve been through that the results are not as good as you hoped.

If I’m ever in a position where I face a lifetime of HT I would seriously consider orchidectomy. If you’ve followed my journey you will see that Prostap certainly DOES NOT agree with me and I did wonder if switching to Zoladex would improve my side effects, although my CNS told me that Prostap was one of the kindest for side effects! Scary😱 

Some people say that it’s the lack of testosterone rather than the drug itself  that causes the side effects but I’m not convinced.

One thing that this disease has taught me (for the better I might add) is to enjoy every day as best you can and I’m pleased you are doing that too. Spending time with my family is so important to me and I’m lucky(some might say unlucky!🀣🀣🀣) that we have my son and our 2 grandsons living with us part of the time. It keeps my wife and I very busy and the laundry is through the roof, but you know just having them around has helped me get through this.

All the best,

Derek

User
Posted 31 Jan 2024 at 20:15

Hi Phil, 

David’s regime isn’t too painful honest guv πŸ˜‰ I’ve sent a msg to your inbox.

User
Posted 31 Jan 2024 at 20:48

Hi Phil, 

what do you reckon is the best pomegranate juice Leila?

User
Posted 01 Feb 2024 at 13:03

Hi Phil, 

Hi Leila, thank you but not seen anything in my inbox yet .. 

I think my reticence is because every time I take my pills I am reminded of what’s going on. I need to get over that and I will definitely take a look at what I can do to help myself. 😁

Phil

Edited by member 01 Feb 2024 at 13:04  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 01 Feb 2024 at 13:22

New Avatar is me and the missus on the paddle steamer last year. 

Fabulous photo Phil. It's nice to meet your wife. 

PS: I hope they're not concrete steps you're sitting on. My mum used to say to us as kids, "Sitting on cold floors causes piles." I wonder if I could get her to join the forum, and impart more of her medical expertise.

Edited by member 01 Feb 2024 at 14:33  | Reason: Additional text.

User
Posted 01 Feb 2024 at 13:41

Sent it just now. Leila 

User
Posted 01 Feb 2024 at 14:57

My mum used to say to us as kids, "Sitting on cold floors causes piles."

My mum used to say “ don’t lay in bed once you’re awake or you’ll get bad thoughts” .  I can’t imagine what she meant 🀦‍β™€οΈπŸ€£

Phil

User
Posted 13 Feb 2024 at 10:38

Hi guys, just a mini update. Since changing my Mirtazapine to Citalopram I’ve been struggling to get to sleep at night. And unfortunately with that came all the bad thoughts again jumbling around in my head. All the childhood stuff again and I just can’t deal with it, especially now I don’t see my counsellor anymore. 
I tried heavy duty sleeping tablets but didn’t make any difference.
And after initial couple of weeks where I kidded myself I was feeling great I decided after 2 months to go back on the Mirtazapine . Started yesterday to taper off the Citalopram and taper in the Mirtazapine. So last night I was only awake for about 1 1/2 hours instead of 2-3. So hoping I’ll get back to normal soon. 
Must admit I’ve not had a good last few months mentally and I’m trying to perk myself up a bit. Took me a long while with my counsellors to realise that the hard work has to come from within me , not from some magic bullet. 
Hoping better weather might help … 

Thinking of you all πŸ‘

Take care 

Phil

User
Posted 13 Feb 2024 at 11:15

Must admit I’ve not had a good last few months mentally and I’m trying to perk myself up a bit. Took me a long while with my counsellors to realise that the hard work has to come from within me , not from some magic bullet. 
Hoping better weather might help … 

Phil, it's bad enough feeling down, and its twice as bad, when you're feeling knackered.

I admire your resilience and hopefully the longer days and a bit of sunshine will help you feel brighter.

Adrian.

Edited by member 13 Feb 2024 at 13:17  | Reason: Typos again!

User
Posted 14 Feb 2024 at 16:55

Hi Adrian. I started the changeover from Citalopram back to Mirtazapine 2 nights ago. The difference is amazing. Just on 10mg Cit’ and 15mg Mirtazapine and went out like a light… πŸ™‚ My first solid nights sleep for 2 months… 

Just have to ween off Citalopram slowly now . I’ve done it before years ago and all I got was ‘brain zaps’ like an electric shock . 

Blood test next week then see Consultant again week after so obviously gonna be a bit anxious about that. 😬… 

Take care 

Phil

User
Posted 14 Feb 2024 at 18:45
Hi Phil , I have a Zopiclone each night. It’s not a sleeping tablet as such but just tips you into sleep. I get little electric shocks in my eyes. Mirtazipine is a very powerful drug. First time I had it I slept on and off for 24 hrs. Heaven πŸ˜€. At higher doses it becomes an anti-depressant and doesn’t add to the soporific effect. I rarely take it but have a packet upstairs. Maybe I should treat myself lol. Keep well mate πŸ‘πŸ’ͺ
User
Posted 15 Feb 2024 at 11:33

Hi Chris. I got the Mirtazapine originally for depression but also to help me sleep. At the beginning of this journey my mind was scrambled and with not sleeping I was awake all night trying to deal with my childhood demons which had reared their ugly heads. The mirtazapine really helped. But I ended up on the highest dose and I didn’t want stay on that. So that’s why I changed to Citalopram but it wasn’t for me and I’m glad I’m back on the Mirtazapine now 😁. 
Interesting what you say that it’s more for depression at higher doses. I didn’t know that. I’m gonna try to stay on the low dose though … see how it goes. 

Take care 

Phil

User
Posted 15 Feb 2024 at 13:08

I started the changeover from Citalopram back to Mirtazapine 2 nights ago. The difference is amazing. Just on 10mg Cit’ and 15mg Mirtazapine and went out like a light… πŸ™‚ My first solid nights sleep for 2 months… 

Blood test next week then see Consultant again week after so obviously gonna be a bit anxious about that. 😬… 

Excellent news Phil. I'm sure if you manage to string together a few nights of good kip, it'll lift your spirit. enormously.

Best of luck with your next consultation.

User
Posted 15 Feb 2024 at 16:11

Thanks Adrian. I do feel better already 😁. 
In our position we have to do whatever we can to reduce anxiety. 
I just today had the conversation with my Mother-in-Law about the seriousness of my condition and the probable prognosis. She didn’t understand that my wife needs/will need her support. We both shed a few tears, but she understands more now. She kept saying she understood , but my Father-in-law was 94 when he died of Heart failure while suffering from PCa . I explained to her that her daughter is only 60 and living with the prospect of me dying fairly soon. It tears me apart to think of leaving her. πŸ˜₯
My Brother-in-law also has PCa and is still on HT but hoping for curative. Fingers crossed 🀞 for him. 
So , chin up, get on with living. 
Out for a few beers with couple of mates tonight. Probably have one too many 🀦‍β™€οΈπŸ€£… 

Cheers

Phil

Edited by member 15 Feb 2024 at 16:13  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 15 Feb 2024 at 16:14

Probably have one too many 🀦‍β™€οΈπŸ€£…

Good lad. Why the hell not

User
Posted 15 Feb 2024 at 16:17

🍺🍺🍺🍺

Luckily I don’t get hangovers 🀷‍♂️… just a bit tired in the morning… 😁

User
Posted 15 Feb 2024 at 21:35

Hi Phil,

Enjoy your evening, we shared a decent bottle of red last night, and had an evening  with friends earlier in the week. This PCa isn’t easy for you lovely lads, you have my utmost respect. Sometimes in the small wee hours I think about the future, then remind myself to value each day. I am not a good sleeper, so I have a few wee small hours to think, not all negative thankfully.
Managing emotions and feelings is such a complex process, and has so many layers to deal with, and harder for some than others. 

Take care Phil, you are in our thoughts . 

User
Posted 16 Feb 2024 at 13:08

Well chaps, my evening out didn’t exactly go to plan. We went to a micro brewery and last time both my mates were ill afterwards. But we went back anyway. 
After about 1 1/2 pints, 1 1/2 hours,  I started to get stomach cramps which were crippling and i told my mates I didn’t feel too good and could they phone my wife to get me. I then promptly passed out on the table. They ended up calling an ambulance which arrived same time as my wife . My wife decided to take me home and the ambulance guys were fine. 
I couldn’t walk and needed help to the car, got home and had a shower as I’d pooped myself 🀦‍♀️… Never ever done that before, so embarrassing!
I told my mates I didn’t want to die passed out on a table in a Pub…! 
Had a good nights sleep and feel ok today albeit a bit tired. 
Dont think it’s cancer related unless it the new Dexamethasone or the change in anti depressants… ? 
Was either fish I had for tea or the Dark beer I had (Black Bess) 🀷‍♂️
Was so looking forward to a night out with my mates. 
Maybe next time we’ll do lunch with coffee 🀣

Hope you’re all good

Phil

User
Posted 16 Feb 2024 at 13:16

Leila, Enjoy your evening, we shared a decent bottle of red last night, and had an evening  with friends earlier in the week.

I love a really nice red but the wife doesn’t like the heavy reds like Barolla, she likes Pino, so I only have that when we’re out.

Meeting up with friends is magic, just chatting and sharing old memories together. We are very lucky to have lots of incredible friends. I’ve really grown to appreciate that. 

Phil

Edited by member 16 Feb 2024 at 13:16  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 16 Feb 2024 at 13:26

I told my mates I didn’t want to die passed out on a table in a Pub…!

I can think of much worse ways to go. In fact going like that, or during a bit of rumpy-pumpy, are top of my list.

I'm so disappointed for you Phil, I know how much you were looking forward to the night out. Bad luck mate.

I remember years ago, collapsing at our kitchen table. Out like a light, but it was down to too many bevvies. Embarrassingly it was the first time, I'd ever met the step-mother-in-law. Took months to live that one down.

Edited by member 16 Feb 2024 at 13:59  | Reason: Typo

User
Posted 16 Feb 2024 at 13:38

Adrian, I remember years ago, collapsing at our kitchen table. Out like a light, but it was down to too many bevvies. Embarrassingly it was the first time, I'd ever met the step-monster-in -law. Took months to live that one down.

That must’ve been soo embarrassing 🀣🀣 

I worked in Pubs from age 8 to 17 so never really got drunk as I’d seen it all. But I went on holiday with my mates once to Spain when we was youngsters. I got off with our Spanish dinner waitress and we’d all been out and got back to the hotel and I went and got a round of drinks on a tray. I was showing off but very smashed and I ended up letting the tray go about a foot above the table. So many hands came out to try to save their drinks 🀣🀣. Still makes me laugh now. Bacardi and coke - still can’t drink it now. 

Phil

User
Posted 16 Feb 2024 at 13:51

That must’ve been soo embarrassing 🀣🀣

Indeed it was Phil. I can remember, the next day, being on the phone  to her for almost an hour. Profusely apologising, and trying to give umpteen excuses for my deplorable behaviour.

User
Posted 16 Feb 2024 at 13:59

Adrian, I can remember, the next day, being on the phone  to her for almost an hour. 

🀦‍♀️… I can imagine … ! 

My MiL is magic. Met her daughter when she was 15 and I was 24 but she never made me feel unwelcome. And we’re still married 45 years later. MiL is still around too πŸ‘

User
Posted 16 Feb 2024 at 14:55

So's mine. She can fly on a broomstick. πŸ˜† Only kidding.

Met her daughter when she was 15 and I was 24 but she never made me feel unwelcome. And we’re still married 45 years later. MiL is still around too πŸ‘

That's lovely Phil. Second time around for me, but we've been together almost 25 years. We've got a similar age gap. I suspect that, being quite a bit older than my wife, makes dealing with this disease a little more difficult. 

User
Posted 17 Feb 2024 at 18:15

Adrian,

Adrian,  I suspect that, being quite a bit older than my wife, makes dealing with this disease a little more difficult. 

Yes it’s definitely on my mind. Probably partly jealousy as she could have another 30 years with someone… I find that hard but want her to be happy .

User
Posted 17 Feb 2024 at 22:04

Hi Phil, 

This bl%#dy disease will definitely get more than a run for its money. We ain’t giving it a chance. What a wonderful story you met the love of your life at 15, how special is that. We met in 2003 sadly a bit later in life but I know I’ve met the right one. He’s a keeper, we are delightfully happy. We’d both been married before, and this was unexpected for me, as I wasn’t looking to meet anyone, I was happy alone.
Dave’s PSA was < 0.1  we are delighted. The mixture if prostrap & the London clinic seem to be the right recipe for him. He’s careful with diet and stuff, but he feels good and we seem to be toddling along quite well. 

take care Phil, 

Leila.