I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Zoledronic acid

User
Posted 16 Dec 2022 at 14:48

hi,I will be going on zoledronic acid shortly for osteoporosis, anyone else been on it,all the times I have asked for a dexa scan since finishing ht in 2016, and the gps saying you don't need one not been on ht long enough, 18mths,all the different gps all saying different things, you don't know wether your coming or going, gp also asked regarding testosterone again no chance, any help please. 

User
Posted 18 Dec 2022 at 08:08

I’m on Alendronic acid, initially a weekly dose then changed to 5 tabs a week because of Jaw pains, it is used to strengthen the bone structure.

Re your Dexa scan , bone scan, I would suggest you ask your Urology or Oncology teams rather than GP.

Chris.

Edited by member 18 Dec 2022 at 08:09  | Reason: It inserted a word I didn’t write

User
Posted 18 Dec 2022 at 13:52

Exbus ,thanks,just learnt that my osteoporosis is severe from gp surgery, I am now waiting for letter from hospital regarding treatment, God knows how long I will  have  to  wait ,I have been reading a lot about side effects, but I have got to do  it.

User
Posted 18 Dec 2022 at 16:56

While you're waiting, book a dentist checkup, and explain it's a detailed check-up before starting bisphosphonates (which means you'll probably get a whole jaw X-ray to thoroughly check roots too). You need to get any teeth which might need attention in the next year or so sorted out, because they can't do some dental treatments while you're on bisphosphonates.

User
Posted 18 Dec 2022 at 22:04

Andy ,I am already in the  process of having a dental crown fitted,I asked my dentist about osteoporosis drugs and he knows about them but could not advise me any way, I can't take oral bisophates due to my hiatus hernia, it's either zoledronic acid or denosumab,